The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 27, 2005, 11:20 AM   #1
Left-Hander

20 ga. for geese?

Is this gauge potent enough to take geese at ranges of 20-35 yards? Is it recomended to use a 20 gauge gun for geese?
Old February 27, 2005, 01:35 PM   #2
mete

20 gage is not normally used for geese , use 12 or 10 Ga.Some of my goose hunting involves head shots.my gun with steel BB shot and modified choke gives a extra, extra full pattern .This works with the head shots well and you don't have to worry about the steel shot penetrating the body. 3" ,12 ga steel shot has 100 pellets.
Old February 27, 2005, 09:34 PM   #3
bird_dog

Yes, 20 gauge will do it. Just use a heavy load like BB's or 1's, keep the shot pattern tight with a full or modified choke, and stay within 30 yards. Beyond that, restrict your shooting to head-on shots.
Old February 27, 2005, 10:09 PM   #4
impact

Don't see why you can't take geese with a 20 guage. Just as fast as a 12 with less pellets. A well placed shot will work. I always shoot at the head with good luck. I use a 12 and 3 inch sheels.

It took me a while to learn to shoot at the head. It's easy to shoot at the body because it's the biggest thing you see. Shooting at the head will bring down more birds.
Old February 27, 2005, 10:22 PM   #5
impact

Oh one other thing! you gotta love Texas! In february or march ( can't remember) you can use as many rounds as the gun can hold. You can remove the plug. And you can use eletronic calls. But the geese get wise to the eletronic calls. Never the less its still a blast to hunt geese. This is the first year I dident go out goose hunting. They are starting to move north! If I get my butt in gear this next weekend maybe I can find a goose or two to shoot. When I hunt I get about 50 birds a year
Old March 1, 2005, 08:41 AM   #6
Left-Hander

Thanks for all of your comments, but I think that I am just going to use a 12ga. , not that great of a shot you know.
Old March 1, 2005, 08:44 PM   #7
Long Path

impact are you sure about that? I don't find any such information on the Texas Parks & Wildlife page on migratory waterfowl regulations. Still says no more than three rounds.

I thought that the limit on shells for migratory waterfowl was set by federal regs, too. Any references?
Old March 1, 2005, 10:21 PM   #8
impact

Long Path I'm sure. This the first year I dident go out goose hunting in a long time. I'm not sure about the date's for the eletronic calls and unpluged guns. But in the past it started about this time of the year. And it was only good for snow geese. nothing else! No speckle belly or canadians. I just tried to call my goose guide buddie down in Victoria. but no answer. I will get back with you for a link to this information.
Old March 1, 2005, 10:43 PM   #9
impact

I did a google search and found this www.tpwd.state.tx.us/news/news/981207a.htm. But i'm still looking. Wish my buddie would answer his phone. hell I even gave the game warden a call. No answer.
Old March 1, 2005, 11:44 PM   #10
impact

I'm slow but I found it

Texas Parks and Wildlife Maincontent Local Navigation Supplemental Navigation/Info
Print Friendly
TPWD Home | Contact Us | Search | On-Line License Sales
2004-2005 Waterfowl Digest

* 2004-2005 Texas Hunting Season Dates, Grouped by Animal
* Definitions
* General Rules
* Hunting Methods
o Lawful Hunting Methods
o Unlawful Hunting Methods
o Baiting
o Nontoxic Shot
o Species Identification
o Daily Bag and Possession
o Importation Limit
* Bag and Possession Limits for Ducks
* Bag and Possession Limits for Geese
o Light Goose Conservation Order Season
o Area Closed to Light Goose Hunting
* Bag and Possession Limits for Sandhill Cranes
* Description of Whooping Crane
* Be Sure Before you Shoot! media download(PDF 486.6 KB)
* Falconry and other Regulations
o Violation and Penalty
o Closed Areas
o Closed Seasons
* 2004-2005 Texas Waterfowl Digest media download(PDF 682.4 KB)

Bag and Possession Limits for Geese

WESTERN ZONE DAILY BAG LIMIT
Light geese - 20 in the aggregate; Dark geese - 3 Canada and 1 white-fronted goose.
EASTERN ZONE DAILY BAG LIMIT
Light geese - 20 in the aggregate; Dark geese - 3 Canada and 2 whitefronted geese.
POSSESSION LIMIT
Twice the daily bag limit for dark geese, no possession limit for light geese. During the Conservation Order there is no daily bag or possession limit on light geese.

Light Goose Conservation Order
During the Light Goose Conservation Order, the taking of light geese will be permitted by regulations established through U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Conservation Order. Under the Conservation Order the following rules shall be in effect for the taking of light geese through March 27, 2005.

1. The use of electronic calls shall be legal.
2. Unplugged shotguns holding more than 3 shells will be legal.
3. There will be no daily or possession limits.
4. Shooting hours will be one-half hour before sunrise until one half-hour after sunset.
5. LIGHT GEESE shall include only Snow (including blue) and Ross' geese.

AREA CLOSED TO HUNTING

After March 6, 2005, it is unlawful to take light geese in Refugio, Calhoun and Aransas counties on the seaward side of a line beginning at the Gulf of Mexico at Port O'Connor (including Pelican Island), thence northwest along State Hwy. 185, thence southwest along State Hwy. 35 to Aransas Pass, thence southeast along State Hwy. 361 to the Port Aransas Channel, thence east along the Corpus Christi Channel, thence southeast along the Aransas Channel to the Gulf of Mexico. This closure does not apply to the Guadalupe Delta Wildlife Management Area.
MAP OF AREA CLOSED TO HUNTING
Refer to Area Closed To Hunting for text description

Please send comments, suggestions, or questions to:
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, Texas 78744

or send us an e-mail.
Home | Hunting | Fishing | Boating | Parks & Historic Sites | Nature | Education | Jobs
Conservation | Kids' Page | Publications | Texas Water | Site Policies | About TPWD
Expo | FAQ | Game Warden | Related Sites | Outdoor Programs | WMAs
© Copyright Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Last modified: September 14, 2004, 4:59 pm
Old April 8, 2005, 02:48 AM   #11
Fat White Boy

I played golf with a guy on vacation from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I told him I enjoyed hunting geese. He told me to come on up and kill a thousand of them. He said there are so many geese that they have become a nuisance and have ruined the golf course he plays...