The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2004, 08:07 PM   #1
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
Penetration of slugs at low velocities

Is there any data on the penetration of slugs (12ga, any style) at velocities under 950fps?
either down-loaded to 950 fps or a regular slug at about 150 yards where it will be at about that speed?

Any medium is OK, I am just looking to compare and contrast.

thanks in advance,
C-
Old December 15, 2004, 01:36 AM   #2
Brobee

Hello...

While not exactly what you are looking for, I;'ve collected some experience this past fall and spring with 1 oz reduced recoil slugs fired at medium game out of a 14 inch barrelled Remington 870. I've yet to get to the range to chrono the load/gun combination, however I suspect it is in the range you are looking at.

gun and ammo:

factory 14 inch barreled Rem 870
1 oz remington reduced recoil slug

This first one is a whitetail buck I shot with my 870 at a range of approximately 55 yards. I'd been stalking the buck, and was partially parked behind a terrain feature at about 100 yards when he made me via sound. He snuck back around the terrain feature, working his way downwind to confirm with his nose what he had heard. He hopped the fence and was about 20 yards away from winding me when he became temporarily distracted by some other deer movement (a large heard of mule deer about 150 yards away...too bad I only had whitetail tags left).

Slug performance was interesting. I'm zeroed for 85 yards, and that puts my mid point trajectory at about 3 inches high with my current rig. In the excitement of the moment, I did not fully consider this and only held a little low. The slug impacted about 2 inches higher than I would have liked, punching through the lower part of the scapula and then deflecting slightly off the ribs rolling up through the right lung as it entered the deer's thorax. It rolled up along the top of the thoracic cavity and deformed significantly as it hit the spine, then rolling down through the left lung and exiting the thorax. It came to rest just under the skin right behind the offside shoulder on the back side of the deer. The recovered slug weighed in at 425 grains (97% of it's original mass of 437 grains) Incapacitation was instant as a result of the CNS damage.

whitetail kill animation (DANGER: GRAPHIC CONTENT)

This next one is a mule deer doe shot earlier in the season with the same rig at a range of approximately 85 yards. I had held for the bottom 3rd of the chest cavity and shot placement was exactly as intended. I mucked up the camera though and did not get the shot on film, however caught her just after she did the famous "kick-when-shot-through-the-heart" manouver and ran while bleeding out. Total distance she travelled after being shot was approximately 125 yards, most of it in a big circle. The other deer (doe with fawn and a nice little buck) in the herd were not terribly alarmed by the gunshot, however were terribly interested in what was happening to their herdmate. It was sad to watch as I was left with the strong impression they had concern for their dead companion.

The slug passed completely through the thorax, cutting a .75 caliber hole through both lung bottoms and through the middle of the heart. It then passed out the backside of the thorax creating a 0.75 caliber exit hole. It was not recovered.

If you look closely you can see both the entrance hole and the exit hole as the deer is doing her final circle.

mule deer kill animation (DANGER! GRAPHIC CONTENT)

I killed 3 other deer this fall (tagged right out...it was a great year and the freezer is full!) with the same rig, however did not get any usable video from these though. One was shot through the head along the transverse plane (ear to ear, complete pass through & instant capacitation) at a range of approximately 15 yards, another through the neck/spine along the sagital plane (front to back, complete pass through of the windpipe and spine) at a range of approximately 25 yards, and the last one through the transverse plane of the front shoulder and thorax (broadside, smashed onside scapula and then passed straight through animal).

And lastly, here are some terminal ballistic photographs of a spring bear (was not rigged up for video on that trip) I shot with the same rig in May of 2004. Range was approximately 25 yards. The slug hit the onside shoulder, passing through the deltoids and hitting the thick meaty part of the shoulder bone square on, crushing it completely in two. It then exited the shoulder and entered the thorax, passing through both lungs and exiting out the other side. The slug was not recovered.

the entrance wound:

entrance wound (DANGER! GRAPHIC CONTENT)

and the wound channel through the thorax:

thorax passage (DANGER! GRAPHIC CONTENT)

I don't yet have my chronograph (coming soon though); I will post velocities out of 14 inch barrels as compared to 18.5 inch barrels soon.

Take care,

Brobee
Old December 15, 2004, 04:47 AM   #3
NSO_w/_SIG

Awesome post and footage!
Old December 15, 2004, 06:19 AM   #4
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
thanks

Remingtons website indicates that their MANAGED recoil slugs are 988 fps at 50 yds and 873 fps at 100 yds.
So your shot at 55 yds is probably close to being the info I was looking for!
Now, your shots from a 14" barrel may be a bit slower velocity than their test barrel, but that would still be a positive answer to the question of effectiveness of a low-velocity slug.

Just for my info, you mentioned using a 14-inch barrelled sg (a common police configuration) and the REDUCED recoil slugs, which appear to be the LE version of the managed recoil slugs. So, are you hunting when you should be working?

Maybe then this Metro-Buckshot or Metro-slug load would be viable for HD, then??? Maybe Dave McCracken would be interested in developing this idea????

Merry Christmas,
C-

Last edited by cpileri; December 15, 2004 at 06:21 AM. Reason: nudity, strong language, violence, adult themes
Old December 20, 2004, 05:11 PM   #5
Brobee

Hello,

No, I am not LE. I live up in Canada where we have strange firearms rules (ie: a 14 inch barrelled shotgun is not evil provided the barrel came from the factory that way). The slugs used were marked *reduced recoil* as compared to *managed recoil*.

Take care,

Brobee