The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2012, 01:15 AM   #1
OldSoul

Help for my sister!!!!

My sister recently went through a nasty divorce and told me she would like a shotgun for home protection for her and her 3 kids. She does not have a lot of money and is trying to get on her feet so I thought I would buy her one. Question is I have heard of people using single shots for home defense do they really have any merit or is it just marketing? Money is an issue in this purchase but I do want her to feel safe again. Thanks
Old November 12, 2012, 05:05 AM   #2
Sport45

Look for a used Remington or Mossberg pump. Single shots will work fine for one shot, but if that one shot misses she'll be out of luck.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Pfletch83

My advice...

Would be to let her check out the Mossberg line of pump actions,and get her to handle each one in a different gauge to see what is best for her.

Personally I would recommend that she try the Mossberg 500E Cruiser (a 13.5 inch stock can be added for $50.00+ a bit of pocket change) I say this because I don't know how much time she has spent shooting and heavy recoil could be a problem.

In any gauge though I will say that for home defense #4 buck is tough to beat for pellet size and payload.
Old November 12, 2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Regolith

Quote:
Personally I would recommend that she try the Mossberg 500E Cruiser (a 13.5 inch stock can be added for $50.00+ a bit of pocket change) I say this because I don't know how much time she has spent shooting and heavy recoil could be a problem.
A pistol-grip only shotgun is a bad idea for a newbie, and while a new stock may be had for relatively cheap, it's an added expense that isn't necessary.

Better to get a 20 gauge with a youth stock.
Old November 12, 2012, 07:58 AM   #5
UtahHunting

+1 on the youth model 20g. I see them for 150 or so quite often here used. Easy to handle and will get the job done.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Pfletch83

I did say that she should try all three to see what fits her best.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:07 AM   #7
SDC

+1 on the Mossberg 20 gauge, but throw in a flat of shells and take her to the range for a day to get her comfortable with it; the best gun in the world won't do her any good if she's not able to use it well under stress, and that's where practice comes in.
Old November 12, 2012, 11:36 AM   #8
scottd913

i agree with the mossberg... maverick 88's are cheap enough and easy to use.
i also agree with the take her to a range with a flat of shells.
but one may argue with the order of that, when in fact that may be back wards!!! ya might want to take her to the range first and let her shoot before the purchase of a gun she wont be comfortable with. the big thing to remember is to not stop there if you really want her to be protected and feel secure long term you should take her to the range more than just to fit her with a gun...have her use to using it and have it in her mind that it is a go to protection weapon.
either way good luck.
Old November 12, 2012, 12:23 PM   #9
EdInk

I like Remington 870s but for the money a Maverick 88 (go on-sale for under $250 at box stores) is tough to beat.
Old November 12, 2012, 12:31 PM   #10
MLeake

Does she know how to shoot? Is she familiar with firearms safety?

If she doesn't know what kind of shotgun to buy, I suspect the answer is "no." If that is the case, you will help her more by buying her a lesson or two, so she can get some necessary skills. Odds are, the lesson(s) would help her figure out what she wants, too.
Old November 12, 2012, 01:52 PM   #11
BigJimP

+1 on taking her to the range....letting her shoot a number of different shotguns - in different gagues.

or buying her a firearms lesson....
Old November 14, 2012, 06:52 AM   #12
Rifleman1952

When I thought about answering this question, the women, in my own life (wife, relatives & friends) came to mind. For the women I know, the choice would have to be a 20 gauge over the 12. They just wouldn't practice with the 12 gauge. The 20 gauge would be ideal for most of the women I know. I agree with those who stress the importance of good training and practice for your sister. If she is serious and committed, it won't take long for her to become proficient. In 20 gauge, I like the Mossberg Tactical 6. You should also be able to find a used side by side for a reasonable price. Stoeger makes an economy level side by side and over/under in 20 gauge that would likely get the job done for her needs. I would avoid the single shot, although one is definitely better than none.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+Cylinder+Bore

Last edited by Rifleman1952; November 14, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:11 AM   #13
youngunz4life

buy new

mossberg 500 shotgun (pump)

or

double-barreled shotgun (non-pump plus can do two consecutive shots)

...if she isn't into firearms or shotguns, she should have no problem with the double-barreled shotgun(opinions differ but I wouldn't personally recommend the single shot)...

not sure if you are firearm savvy, but even non-enthusiasts have knowledge of what I speak: 'break-top' where you can put a shell in each side before closing it to fully load...when you shoot only one will shoot at a time. in an emergency you will still have a loaded shotgun after firing it...most will agree two shots is almost always enough...

*you can get decent deals, so if the price is too high you are doing something wrong w/regards to a shotgun
Old November 14, 2012, 08:06 PM   #14
jackpine

the problem with single shots is that most of them are exposed hammer models. Under stress would you trust yourself to de cock a shotguns hammer if you had to draw down a bead but didn't pull the trigger?? Not this cat!

You could get a hammerless single like the EAA imports from russia but you would probably end up spending as much as you would on a cheap pump gun.
Old November 15, 2012, 11:39 PM   #15
OldSoul

She has no experience with firearms but I am leaning her towards a 20 gauge pump not worried so much about stock length because on a cheap gun a hacksaw can do wonders I am trying to talk her into going with me to a gumshow next weekend so she can get a feel of a few guns.
Old November 16, 2012, 12:13 AM   #16
TheKlawMan

Quote:
She has no experience with firearms but I am leaning her towards a 20 gauge pump not worried so much about stock length because on a cheap gun a hacksaw can do wonders I am trying to talk her into going with me to a gumshow next weekend so she can get a feel of a few guns.
Perhaps not as easy as you think. Cutting a synthetic stock with a hacksaw can be a problem. Perhaps easier with a Mossberg than a Remington 870. A wood stock is easier to shorten. You may then have the cost of a new recoil pad.

I don't know if it is such a good idea to get her a pump of any kind. Modern auto loaders are pretty reliable and you always have to worry about short shucking a pump under pressure.

If recoil is going to be a problem, she is probably better off with a gas operated semi. Some 20 gauge pumps are built on a lighter frame than the 12 gauge and the reduced weight results in less reduction in felt recoil than you might expect. Of course it may easier to find a pump shotgun with a HD barrel (short like 18 to 20 inches).

While the pump tends to be less expensive, it's a waste of money if your sis isn't going to practice with it and feel comfortagle using it for defense.

How tall is she?
Old November 16, 2012, 12:32 AM   #17
OldSoul

She is only about 5'3" but she is fairly stocky. Good thing is she is asking lots of questions so I am trying to keep her interested.
Old November 16, 2012, 03:22 AM   #18
Edward429451

A Remington 870 Express Youth in 20 Ga is a dandy little SG and quite comfortable to shoot.
Old November 16, 2012, 06:16 AM   #19
rebs

a Nasty divorce, domestic situation etc ?
The introduction of a gun at this time might not be a good idea for someone with nu gun experience ? How is her relationship with her x-husband ? Does he have visitation rights and come to pick up the kids ? Is he the one she needs protection from ?
I would strongly suggest a course in fire arms and self defense before giving her a gun. A gun in the hands of an inexperienced person could lead to a bad situation especially with children in the home. Could lead to the wrong person being shot, the gun could be taken from her and used to shoot her.
My suggestion would be to have her get training before giving her a gun.
Old November 16, 2012, 12:39 PM   #20
youngunz4life

get the shotgun Home Defense/Protection of Life only(my opinion). Please keep us posted. Good luck...
Old November 16, 2012, 06:07 PM   #21
Comanche

My Wife is very petite and has no problem emptying the magazine tube from my Mossberg 500 persuader with rear pistol grip.

She won't even touch my saiga 12..... She can barely lift it up to ready.
Old November 16, 2012, 07:48 PM   #22
OkieCruffler

Sounds like she needs lots and lots and lots of trigger time. A shotgun in hands of someone with no training is just as likely to be taken away and used against them.
Old November 17, 2012, 06:32 PM   #23
youngunz4life

okiecruffler, nobody an argue that trigger time and practice helps a lot but lets be realistic: not everyone does this. This doesn't make you any less than 100% correct...I am just saying Granny is gonna do what she wants to do period(Granny as an example here). if he gets her a doublebarreled shotgun and she learns to use it, they come up with a plan, then she should be able to use this to protect her home. I hate to see her decide not to get it or just buy a handgun for the drawer. The shotgun can be a lifesaver for her. That is why i offered that type of shotgun besides a pump as a possibility...believe it or not people do forget stuff(because they don't train enough), and i think she can be comfortable with the shotgun. I also feel she is better protected with it then a handgun(my opinion in this situation), but what she leaves the gunstore with is her choice.
Old November 17, 2012, 06:49 PM   #24
OkieCruffler

That's where we differ. I firmly believe that if someone is not going to get training and learn to use a weapon then buying a gun is the worst thing they could do. No gun is a magic wand. and it's just too easy to take one away from someone with no training and especially if they are slow to use it. I say find time to take her out and get her interested in shooting then find her a gun that she will actually enjoy using. A .22 pistol that she is willing to use will beat the shotgun she's afraid of.
Old November 17, 2012, 07:03 PM   #25
barstoolguru

in jan shot guns prices are going to drop in pawn shops (hunting season is over) and you can get a cheep one there. I got a mosburg one time for 50 bucks

Tags
double barrel shotgun , mossberg 500