The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 7, 2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Hunter Customs

New Revolver Coming

Back last March or April of this year I did a write up in a thread about a Cimarron Uberti model P 1873 OM that I purchased.

I was so impressed with the revolver that I stated in the thread I intended to purchase other Cimarron revolvers.

Well my original Cimarron revolver has passed the 6000 round mark of good serious loads (no powder puff loads) and I'm still very impressed with the gun.

I'm so impressed that I decided it's time to purchase another Cimarron revolver, this one will be a Bisley model with a 5.5 inch barrel in 45 Colt caliber.

I thought of getting a different caliber but I'm a tried and true 45 man, maybe there will be a different caliber for me in a future purchase.

I'll say this if the Bisley model is half as good as my model P 1873 OM it will be one heck of a revolver.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 7, 2014, 06:40 PM   #2
nugun55

What is the difference between a Cimerron Uberti and an Uberti uberti? Do they have a stricter tolerance build sheet?
Old October 8, 2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Hunter Customs

Quote:
What is the difference between a Cimerron Uberti and an Uberti uberti? Do they have a stricter tolerance build sheet?

I don't know that there is any difference, I doubt there is.
Cimarron is the importer/distributor that I purchase from.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 8, 2014, 09:00 PM   #4
Bob Wright

A Uberti is a Uberti. The difference is a the importer. Many importers import a the Uberti. Some claim to exercise better quality control, some claim special fitting when placing their orders.

I have noticed some difference in the case colors on Cimarrons vs Stoegers imports.

But all Ubertis I have seen and shot lately were very good guns. Not as rugged as a Ruger, nor were they intended to be, but dang nigh equal to some of my Colts.

The only malfunction I ever experienced with a Uberti was back around 1975 when I had a broken bolt spring on an Iver Johnson Cattleman .44 Magnum. That plus cratering at the firing pin aperture.

Bob Wright
Old October 11, 2014, 08:48 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I just got a Uberti Bisley 4 3/4" in 357 a few weeks ago and I love it. One of the best SA revolvers I've ever shot. Great fit and finish and i love the balance of it and how it shoots. Can't speak for one in 45 Colt but if it's as nice as the one I got, you'll love it too.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 13, 2014, 08:18 AM   #6
Hunter Customs

Quote:
I just got a Uberti Bisley 4 3/4" in 357 a few weeks ago and I love it. One of the best SA revolvers I've ever shot. Great fit and finish and i love the balance of it and how it shoots. Can't speak for one in 45 Colt but if it's as nice as the one I got, you'll love it too.
bedbugbilly, I agree the Uberti revolvers are great, I sure love the one I own now.
I'll sure be glad when the Bisley arrives so I can put it through it's paces, I'm as excited about getting it as a kid at Christmas time.
The Uberti revolver I have now has 6000 rounds through it and the cylinder lock up is tighter then any of my Rugers were when they were new.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 16, 2014, 09:33 PM   #7
Hunter Customs

The Bisley arrived late yesterday, done a little shooting with it but not much.

The front sight is wider then my model P Uberti, more in line with a Ruger Vaquero front sight as for the width.
I actually prefer the smaller front sight and V notch rear that's on my model P Uberti.

The trigger pulls on both guns break at 2.5 pounds.
However I believe the trigger pull on my Uberti model P may be a little cleaner, it's kind of hard to tell because of the different hammer and trigger of the Bisley.

The fit and finish of the Bisley is like my model P Uberti, color case hardening of the frame is outstanding, the bluing is excellent and the fit of the Bisley grips is perfect.

I have two Ruger Bisley models and the fit of their grips is terrible to say the least.
At the top of the grips there's gaps between the frame and the grips large enough to throw a cat through, I don't understand why Ruger can't get a better fit on the Bisley grips.
The grip fit sure detracts from otherwise nice revolvers.

I shot the Bisley some this afternoon, put a 100 rounds of 255 gr SWC pushed by 9.5 grains of Herco, I was doing pretty well with it busting clay pigeons at 40 yards.

The curved trigger is still a little strange to me but I really like the Bisley grip over the plow handle style grip. More practice and a couple of thousand rounds down range the Bisley may be the deer hunting gun, if not I can always fall back on my model P.

I have not chronographed the Bisley yet with my loads but I don't expect a large velocity gain as the barrel is only 3/4 inch longer then my model P.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 17, 2014, 06:16 AM   #8
nugun55

I ordered Uberti Desperado, nickel plated SAA through a LGS and took delivery on 10-8. I've only put about 50 rounds through it, but am well pleased with the fit, finish and attention to detail.
I have to admit, I had thought of these Italian imports as being "movie/stage prop" imitation type firearms. I had no idea how well made they are. Pleasantly surprised.
Old October 17, 2014, 06:35 AM   #9
smee78

Thats great to hear, I picked up a 357 birds head 5 1/2 model that I havent had the chance to go out and shoot. It looks and feels good in my hand, the color case frame looks good and the blueing is good lookin. I hope to get it out and streach its legs soon.
Old October 18, 2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Hunter Customs

I shot the Bisley again yesterday with the same 255 gr SWC pushed by 9.5 grains of Herco.

Moved back to the 50 yard line, again shooting clay pigeons and managed to break a few.
The ones I missed were very close, would have easily been kill shots on a deer.
I believe the Bisley is fast becoming the revolver to take deer hunting.

I find the Bisley grip shape and the wider trigger to be a plus over the standard SA grip and narrow trigger.
I may have to order a set of Stag grips for the Bisley, as I believe it's found a home.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 18, 2014, 11:14 AM   #11
mavracer

Quote:
Cimarron's come with wolf springs and they're supposed to be inspected stateside, but I've heard that they only batch inspect too.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."