The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 8, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1
Gortex

Strong left hand, domineering right eye

Need tips on aiming with a left handed shooter that has a domineering right eye.
With a rifle and pistol please.
Old March 8, 2006, 12:47 PM   #2
azredhawk44

Wow, that's me!

I shoot my pistol left handed with right eye dominant. Doesn't seem to bother me too much...

Rifle I was going to change to shooting right handed, but changed my mind. I will continue to shoot left handed and left-eyed with iron sights. If I am limited to iron sights at 150 yards, so be it.

With a scope on the left eye, no issues.
Old March 9, 2006, 07:21 AM   #3
PinnedAndRecessed

I am right-handed but left eye dominant. I've shot left-handed all my life. All my long guns are for a left-handed shooter.

Why not just shoot right handed?
Old March 9, 2006, 09:26 AM   #4
MEDDAC19

The best remedy is to switch your gun holds to the side with the dominant eye and then proceed from there. For those that have a real problem with changing over from their strong arm/hand to accommodate their dominant eye, this is one thing I've heard that can help. A piece of tape is placed over the shooting glasses on the dominant eye side. This does not completely occlude the vision, just obscures it enough that the weaker eye takes over.

This method works, when the glasses are used, and often the weaker eye is trained well enough that the tape no longer becomes necessary. The big draw back to not switching over to the side of visual dominance, is that during instinctive shooting situations the strong eye is liable to interfere.

Wing shooting with a shotgun will be difficult unless the dominant eye is obscured. In a real SHTF situation where point shooting occurs, with a handgun, not learning how to use that strong eye could cause some aiming difficulties.
Old March 9, 2006, 09:32 AM   #5
Gortex

I am shooting right handed at present but I posted the thread to see if there were any instructors out there that have any good tips especially with a pistol.
On my right hand trigger finger I sliced my tenden that controls the first joint from the tip of finger and is distraction for me.

MEDDAC 19 -I'll Try it
Old March 11, 2006, 02:20 AM   #6
Jeff22

cross dominant

Being cross dominant is pretty common. Probably about 20% of the population has a master eye that is NOT on the same side as their dominant hand.

(Do a search on "the firing line" and some of the other online shooting forums. This is a COMMON issue of discussion!)

I am right handed and have a left master eye.

When shooting a handgun, I shoot right handed, shift my head position slightly, and use the left eye to sight with. This allows me to keep both eyes open. (Since I'm a cop and a handgun is my primary weapon, I felt it was an appropriate adjustment to make. I first learned to shoot with a BB rifle and learned to sight with my right eye, and that worked fine)

When shooting a long gun, I shoot right handed, using my right eye. I nearly close the left eye. This does impede my peripheral vision, but lots of experimentation over the years has led me to conclude that is the only solution that works for ME.

Some people cannot close or squint one eye independently of the other. If they are cross dominant, they have to shoot long guns off the weak side shoulder.

Experiment to see how much binocularity and convergence your eyes have. It may be that you can become accustomed to using the left eye to sight with for both handguns and long guns. Everybody's eyes are different.
Old March 13, 2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Gortex

Lefty with dominate right eye

After this weekends practices, left hand with right eye is the way to go for me. A lot has to do with a week right hand index finger that is causing a jerky motion during "DAO" trigger pull. Marksmanship improved two- fold using strong hand.
Rifle has to be right handed with right eye. Left handed with left eye I ran out of windage adjustment bring sight over. Have enough room to use middle finger as trigger finger without ripping off index finger from slide and don't have the problem with exoended hot cartridges between the neck and shirt collar.
Old March 24, 2006, 05:41 PM   #8
sparkysteve

I'm right-handed, left eye dominant and shoot everything left handed. I've just gotten used to it over the years. Stick with your good eye.

Dont tread on me.
Old April 16, 2006, 06:26 PM   #9
GoSlash27

Cross-dominant right-eyed lefty here.

I fired scoped rifles with a blind through my weak eye for a number of years with a blind attached to block my right and eventually learned to disregard the right-eye info.

I employ the Quell stance for handguns, which will require a description since I can't find a picture.

Left-handed Quell stance:
Right foot pointed towards the target. Left foot pointed 90* off to the left. Upper body centered above the left foot so that it's supporting all the weight.
Both legs straight.
Bring left arm horizontal across the body as far as it will go.
Left arm locked straight.
right hand cupped under left (not around the firearm).
right elbow pressed firmly against lower ribcage.
Left cheek weld on left bicep.

Voila! Most of the cross-dominant folks I know just kinda instinctively do this.
Old April 16, 2006, 06:38 PM   #10
M3 Pilot

I was left-eyed,right-handed. When I got old enuff for bifocals I changed my contact lenses for that my right eye has far vision & my left eye near vision. This has caused me to become right-eyed. If any of you are as poor sighted as I am, it might work for you
Old April 18, 2006, 04:26 PM   #11
bdcc11

I'm right handed left eye. My right eye cannot be corrected to a point where I can see a front site clearly. I stopped shooting with a Weaver stance and changed to more of an even relaxed facing the target stance and I can just move my gun to the left a little and it is lined up with my left eye. Support hand is doing most of the work anyway and it lines up with the left eye.

If you use a Weaver stance and you don't have glasses to correct vision then just turn your head and your correct eye will be moved to the be in line with the sites.

I'm learning to shoot rifle left handed.
Old April 20, 2006, 10:00 AM   #12
biglabsrule

i cant say i am a left but can say my old man is left eye right hand....
he tought himselft when he first started to over come and shoot lefty... prolly the best thing he could have done... he likes to tell me about how in vietnam the m 16s ejected the shells against leftys cheeks leaving half moon cresents... in terms of accuracy always go with your eye... in terms of money rights got it, oh and look at old surplus bolts :P
Old April 30, 2006, 01:02 PM   #13
joecad

i am for the most part right handed....i was left handed as a child but a series of sucessive left arm injuries turned me into a right hander
i am left eye dominant. i have been using a right hand hold and both eyes open, and i am ok with it. but recently i put an adheasive white dot on the right side of my shooting glasses. its about the size of a nickle. my shooting improved markedly. i still keep both eyes open its just that my right eye is only used for peripheral vision. i plan on, over time, reducing the size of the dot and see if i can gradually work back to both eyes open and maintain the left eye accuracy. if may help you too.
Old May 21, 2006, 01:31 PM   #14
HK_P7

I am left eye dominant, right hand shooter. I actually praticed using the other eye to the point where I don't think about it anymore. Now I just trying to use both eyes on front sight.
Old May 22, 2006, 06:19 AM   #15
Jayb

I've been left handed since I first threw something...

My grandfather showed me eye dominance when he taught me to shoot at age 7. I'm right eye dominant. It's much easier to learn to shoot with the other hand than it is to change the dominant eye.

Some of my rifles