The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 30, 2002, 12:43 PM   #1
T-Rex

I miss my old M16

Looks like I'd better buy an AR soon before they're all illegal, or priced out of my reach, so here are the questions. What's a fair price for a basic good quality AR. It doesn't have to be pre-ban, and iron sights are fine by me. What are the pitfalls to avoid, and what can't you use with a post ban? Lastly, anybody looking to get rid of one in Virginia?
Old January 30, 2002, 03:58 PM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

I recommend you visit:

http://communities.msn.com/TheMaryla..._whatsnew.msnw

and then search at http://www.ar15.com/

You should find lots of information at those two links. I can't speak as to prices in VA; but $700-800 is a reasonable price to pay for a post-ban AR depending on the options.

With a post-ban AR, you cannot have:

a collapsible stock
flash-hider or threaded barrel
bayonet lug
silencer (counts as a flash hider if you later decide to go the NFA route)

The major pitfall to avoid is that there are a lot of good quality AR15 parts that were assembled into guns by monkeys (I know having worked as one of those monkeys for a time in 1991-1992). Unless you personally know and trust the experience of the person you are buying from, buy assembled rifles, uppers or lowers direct from the dealer or factory.
Old January 31, 2002, 10:12 AM   #3
ankara36

To T-Rex;

I just got a Bushmaster, XM-15, 20" HBAR, A3 upper for $750 (eastern PA). I haven't fired it yet, but the quality of the parts, assembly, and finish is excellent. I feel its better than some of the pre-ban Colts I have seen.

For a general target practice rifle I intend to shoot alot its perfect. I would be nervous about putting wear on a pre-ban that had serious collecter potential.
Old January 31, 2002, 04:59 PM   #4
Jake 98c/11b

Oops, sorry...
Old January 31, 2002, 04:59 PM   #5
Jake 98c/11b

I too miss my issue M16A1, serial number 5326660, M203 was SN 33676. I definately do not miss my M-60 SN 626R since the 60 was crap and I was glad to see them go. It never failed me, not even with blanks. Haven't seen it in 12 years but I hope it is serving someone else as well as it served me, even if it is the somewhat inferior A2 version now.

Post ban should start just over 700 new. Pre ban, keep looking and you may find a few for about $250 each. Have a friend who got two for that a while back (last year), just need to be in the right place at the right time.
Old January 31, 2002, 06:17 PM   #6
T-Rex

Jake,
Are you sure you have all the zeros typed in on that pre-ban price? If you do, I'll take a dozen!
Old January 31, 2002, 11:54 PM   #7
Zorro

I don't miss the M-16/AR-15 AT ALL damn near got me killed!

And I will NEVER buy one as a Civilian!

AK-47s were working GREAT! though!
Old February 1, 2002, 12:30 PM   #8
T-Rex

No argument from me, as I was lucky enough to never have anybody take so much as a pot-shot at me while I was in the army. My team and I were good at hiding. All I know for sure is that 300m pop-ups always went down reliably, and that neither my A1 or my A2 (yeah, I'm a young pup) ever failed to work as advertized.

Reliability issues from older models aside, I found the m16 to be easier to shoot well than anything else in the semi-auto world. Just an opinion.
Old February 1, 2002, 12:52 PM   #9
USMCsilver

Funny you mention missing the 16. I didn't miss mine at all until I got my AR. Now, I miss the joys of 3 rnd. burst. Oh well. I guess I will just make do with my 3 ARs. At least that way I get the 3 and AR to go together well in once sentence...