The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 19, 2015, 08:11 PM   #1
ratrodney

thoughts on 8 n 9 rd .22 as ccw?

What would thoughts be on
A 8 or 9 round. 22lr as a ccw gun? I hear the self defense rds are wicked and id say shot pl
Acement would be pretty good. Just runnin ideas n stirrin up some talk. Tnx...Rod
Old November 19, 2015, 08:34 PM   #2
MarkCO

If that is all you can shoot reliably, it is a little better than a knife. If you can handle a larger caliber, you should.
Old November 19, 2015, 09:16 PM   #3
J_wood

I just got my ccw and have not yet purchased the gun I will EDC. I am currently carrying a Ruger SR22(10 rnds and a spare mag)with CCI stingers. Obviously not ideal but better then the alternative. I am pretty proficient with it and very confident I can get several rounds on target rather quickly.
Old November 19, 2015, 09:49 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

A revolver only IMO. Still not the best, but better than nothing. I used a P22 when I first got my license as that was my only pistol.

I'd prefer a good knife to be honest.
Old November 19, 2015, 10:01 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

A knife aside (lots of folks don't want to get quite that up close and personal, plus it takes nerve, strength, and skill to drive a knife into a human body), a .22 is not the best choice for self defense. The .22 can certainly kill, but it often won't do it fast enough or with enough power to stop an attacker. The idea of self defense is not to cause fatal wounds so an attacker will die a week later in a hospital, it is to stop him immediately and a .22 is just not going to do that reliably.

Jim
Old November 19, 2015, 10:37 PM   #6
Overkill777

I agree that 22lr is not what I would choose for defense but I would certainly use it if that's all I had on me. Far more effective than fists or a pocket knife.
Old November 19, 2015, 11:17 PM   #7
22-rimfire

A 22 is not the best choice, but I have carried my LCR 22LR off an on. I would not choose the SR22P for self defense due to the potential for misfires. Easier and more intuitive to just pull the trigger again with a DA revolver. I usually choose a lightweight 38spl revolver or occasionally my Detective Special in a holster.
Old November 19, 2015, 11:44 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

The ONLY sure physical "stop" is a central nervous system shot.
A CNS shot with a .22 is every bit as effective as a .44 magnum.
Unfortunately, penetration and reliability might be a problem with a .22.
If you can put the bullet where it needs to go it will work.
Old November 20, 2015, 10:12 AM   #9
chimo

If it works for you, it is a good choice.
Old November 20, 2015, 11:16 AM   #10
kilimanjaro

If you can reliably hit a small target, the .22 is a fair choice. It's light and easy to carry, so always better than a heavier pistol that gets left at home.

The most important thing about CCW is having your weapon with you. Second, is knowing when to use it and when not to use it. Third, is ability to use it effectively. Further down the list is the caliber chosen, and even further down is make and model of the weapon.

Be advised you are not going to be able to reload it, so act accordingly.
Old November 20, 2015, 11:22 AM   #11
22-rimfire

Quote:
Be advised you are not going to be able to reload it, so act accordingly.
I think a reload is unlikely. I think the reload would often happen AFTER the self defense event. So, yes, having a reload is not a bad thing, but it adds more bulk and weight to carry. One would need to train a lot to be effective with a quick reload in a self defense event that probably lasts seconds. I know that people do, but that has never been my interest.
Old November 20, 2015, 11:48 AM   #12
g.willikers

The most important aspect of using any weapon is having proficiency with it.
For self defense and surviving a deadly encounter, the choice of gun is probably the least of it.
While the .22 is generally considered to be the weakest of handgun calibers, according to the experts and their statistics, all handguns are less than ideal.
If a .22 is what you have, used to its maximum capability, it'll do.
For many years, when I was more interested in other things, a .22 was my only home defense gun.
It had one advantage over bigger calibers - being able to practice with it in the basement.

Last edited by g.willikers; November 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old November 20, 2015, 01:25 PM   #13
USMCGrunt

Marginally better than a pointy stick (depending on the size of the stick of course) or harsh words but that's about it.
The .22 is a round that can kill a person but it's NOT a good fight STOPPER and there IS a big difference! It's champions will claim a round to the nervous system will produce stops and in that they're correct. However, I would suggest an insane amount of luck is needed to hit a small, moving target that is coming at you, maybe even returning fire of their own while you are crapping your pants trying to get flipper fingers to actually put this glorified ice pick propelled by gun powder into a spot that will produce a stop before the bad guy disembowels you. Uh, ok, good luck with that. Yeah, I'm going to stick with a cartridge that is a bit more serious than a .22 to defend my life with.
Old November 20, 2015, 01:47 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I hear the self defense rds are wicked
Show me one even close to as "wicked" as a 38 Spcl, 357 Magnum, 45 Colt, or any number of semi- auto centerfire rounds.
A 22 is better than a sharp stick, but almost anything that begins with 3, 4, or 9 is much better than a rimfire 22
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 20, 2015, 01:57 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

If that's all you have, it's better than nothing. But rule #1 . . don't take a stone to a tank fight.

There are those who will argue that a 22 "will do the job" . . perhaps it will but in how many cases. And, you may be "proficient" . . but how proficient are you when put in to an extremely stressful situation where you have adrenlian pumping though your system and it is "kill or be killed"?

In my work experience in ambulance and in fire rescue, I saw more than my share of gunshot wounds . . . both fatal and non-fatal. Add a perp that's tanked up on drugs and it's a whole different story than someone whoo isn't.

A person can argue about a "well placed shot" and how good of a shot they are . . . in the end, all that is just "hoopla" unless you can carry it out under stressful situations. And if you have never had the experience of being shot at . . and I have . . . I can guarantee you that you have NO idea of how you will react or even if you can keep your wits about you. All of those things are important factors to consider when choosing a handgun/caliber to carry as well as practice, practice and then more practice.

If a person wants to carry a 22 and feels confident in it . . then it is their personal decision and far be it for me criticize or tell them they should not . . . . but before spending money on a 22 . . . please consider all of the factors that are involved. For myself, when I carry, I want a cartridge that I know is going to have some put down power to it to put a quick stop to further threat or violence. And, I would much rather carry one that will do that job . . . and never need it . . . than to carry a caliber that is "iffy" at best and need it to do a job it might not do.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 20, 2015, 02:38 PM   #16
Cosmodragoon

It's better than nothing. I'd only choose it if "nothing" was the alternative. Obviously, different people have different circumstances.

If recoil is the issue and .38 special is too much, you could pick up something like the new LCR in .327 and just load it with .32 S&W Long. While considered anemic by today's standards, it beats the hell out of a .22 LR. (The Magtech SJHPs are probably your best bet.) In case capacity is the issue, this option at least gets you up to a six-shooter.
Old November 20, 2015, 03:12 PM   #17
Bill DeShivs

My point is, a non-CNS shot with ANY handgun will not give you a 100% sure stop. You can not rely on bleed-out for a stop-it can take minutes under the best of circumstances. Someone can do you a lot of harm in a minute!

There are psychological stops and pain stops. A physiological stop is a much different thing.

Bigger calibers are better overall, but not very much better-so carrying a huge gun may/may not be an option for you.

Caliber is not a substitute for shot placement.
Old November 20, 2015, 03:21 PM   #18
SIGSHR

Beats feet, fists and foul language. Only caution I can think of is if you have to pull the trigger "too many times"-makes you look like a sadist.
Old November 20, 2015, 03:56 PM   #19
J_wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
A 22 is not the best choice, but I have carried my LCR 22LR off an on. I would not choose the SR22P for self defense due to the potential for misfires. Easier and more intuitive to just pull the trigger again with a DA revolver. I usually choose a lightweight 38spl revolver or occasionally my Detective Special in a holster.
My Ruger runs flawless on cci ammo. Almost perfect on the cheap stuff too.
Old November 20, 2015, 04:50 PM   #20
Jim Watson

I think the LCR .327 is headed for the title of Least Appreciated Gun... Until After Discontinuance for Lack of Sales. LAG-UADLS.

It is very "tunable" over the wide range of factory loads from .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R, and 327. And it has, as Colt once advertised for the Detective Special vs the Terrier that all important shot... the sixth one.
It also has the edge of a centerfire caliber which is more reliable and takes less mainspring than a rimfire.

I find the Airweight .38s (and plastic .380s) to be hard kickers.
It is not just me, based on the number of recommendations for self defense with midrange wadcutters I read and hear, there are a lot of people who agree.

I assume S&W has surveyed the market and doesn't think any .32 is worth their trouble in the 21st century. They had a few but they were dressers at 1.5 - 2x the price of a .38. Wonder why those did not sell in quantity?

The Charter Arms Undercoverette .32 H&R might be an option, if you got a good one. I have a .22 Pathfinder and a friend has a .38 Undercover that do just fine. You might be as lucky.
Old November 21, 2015, 04:13 AM   #21
Jim March

The new Gold Dot ammo for the 22Magnum is an interesting critter. Tuned for 2" to 4" barrel performance, too. There's some eight-shot 22Mag J-class guns that this might work well in, and of course there's NAA minis, the Ruger Single Six series, etc.
Old November 21, 2015, 05:33 AM   #22
kcub

What if you have more than one assailant?
Old November 21, 2015, 06:34 AM   #23
Pipefighter

Sometimes it's just about leaving a legacy.
Old November 21, 2015, 06:46 AM   #24
dahermit

From the accounts I have read in the Rifleman, the perp(s), usually run away when the shooting starts with no correlation to the size of the cartridge being used. Therefore, it would at least seem to be a sufficient tool for the job.
Old November 21, 2015, 06:03 PM   #25
Cheapshooter

Quote:
, the perp(s), usually run away when the shooting starts
But if they don't I would much prefer to have something more effective than my plinking pistol!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!