The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 4, 2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Bake

What gauge for all around shotgun?

Which one?

Last edited by Bake; August 4, 2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old August 4, 2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Fisher

Here is my breakdown on the choices you gave us.

To much recoil and ammo no readily available in all areas

Definitely an all round good gauge. Recoil can be excessive for some

A dying gauge, not readily available in most areas.

This would be my choice. Reasonable recoil, handle most small game well and does well will deer slugs. In other words if you need it for self defense, home defense or survival it works well.

Typically used for sporting shoots like skeet or sporting clays. Not a gauge you find with a wide range of shot sizes.

Getting harder to find ammo for this gauge. Does not have a wide pattern for birds or self defense.

Jim
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
~ Ronald Reagan
Old August 4, 2015, 03:42 PM   #3
ammo.crafter

shotty

Fisher is right on.

I use a 20ga G-3 for everything from sporting clays to pheasant hunting.

Lighter than a 12ga to haul around and lots of loadings for various situations.
Old August 4, 2015, 04:11 PM   #4
cc-hangfire

+1 on the 20ga & Fisher covered it well. 12 & 20 are the choices due to almost universal ammo availability; 20ga has less recoil but can still do it all.
Old August 4, 2015, 04:15 PM   #5
FITASC

Where's the 24 and 32 gauges?........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 4, 2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Bake

Many years ago I saw a cartridge board in Northern Thailand, it had a 4 gauge, and 8 gauge, 10, 12, 16, 20, 24 gauge, 28, 32 gauge 9 mm, .410, and 22 RF Shot. Because of the humidity in Thailand, all of these were loaded using brass hulls. In Vietnam, the 12 gauge came in two varieties, paper or if you knew the right guy, brass. ( same same loading)

Last edited by Bake; August 4, 2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old August 6, 2015, 05:09 PM   #7
BigJimP

12ga..... ( come on man...24 and 32 ga...'s ...really ).../ I'm going to wet myself if you don't quit making me laugh....
Old August 6, 2015, 06:46 PM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
12ga..... ( come on man...24 and 32 ga...'s ...really ).../ I'm going to wet myself if you don't quit making me laugh....
What Big Jim said.
You can down-load the 12-ga to shoot like a smaller gun, but you can't up-load the little guns. Also, the heavier 12-ga gun eats some felt recoil.
Old August 6, 2015, 10:28 PM   #9
Creek Henry

The 12 is hard to beat for versatility. A good, modern SA 12 that will cycle anything can really do it all.

A O/u 20 3" can do an aweful lot though :)
Old August 7, 2015, 11:24 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Being as all shotguns operate in the same velocity range (for best patterns), the one that throws the most shot is the best, balanced against your ability to manage the recoil.

For most of us, that is the 12ga.