The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2000, 09:58 PM   #1
BIGR

Anyone got a accurate pet load for the .300 Win. Mag using 180 GR. bullets they would share with me. I used a ceratin load last year and it did ok. I wanted to get a little bit more velocity out of it so I moved up to IMR 7828 powder. This load seemed to not group as well and was not consitent. I am using 180 GR. Sierra bullets. If anyone has an accurate load to share I would like greatly appreciate it.
Old October 30, 2000, 02:02 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Son Matt and I spent a lot of time working up loads for his then-new Remington Sendero a couple of years back. He had best luck (and hardest kicking) using RL-22 powder under Sierra 180 Spitzer Boat Tail. Unfortunately, I don't have all the load notes and chronograph data here at my place.

Here's one box with load label on it that shows a load which is over max in Sierra and Hornady manual. It IS a half grain under the max listed in the Speer manual number 12. This is 76.5 gr of RL-22, and it clocks right at 3100 from Matt's rifle.

We also tried 72.5 gr. of RL-19 with same bullet, for about 3000 fps. I kind of liked that one, especially as I was using RL-19 in my .338 mag with 225 gr bullets. Matt really wanted to do hottest possible consistent with accuracy, and that came with the RL-22.

I have a note here that the Nosler manual lists their 180 Partition with 75.5 gr of RL- 22 as an accuracy load, at 3118 fps.

Naturally, your mileage may vary. What kind of rifle do you use?

Best of luck,
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old October 30, 2000, 10:17 PM   #3
BIGR

Thanks for the info Johnny. I use a model 70 pre 64 action Winchester with the 26 IN. barrel.I always heard the RL powders were hot, but I have mainly used IMR or the Hodgen powders.I have only been loading for the .300 mag for about a year know.Over the years I have loaded numerous rounds for 30.06 down to the .22-250 and numerous pistol rounds. I respect the 300 mag and really don't want to go too hot. The ones I loaded my brother in-law couldn't hardly stand due to the recoil. According to the manuals they were not too hot. I guess it will take a little time to develop a load that our rifles will like. He shhots a Remington 700 and I shoot the model 70.
Old October 31, 2000, 12:41 AM   #4
schlickenmeyer

I've been using H4831 with great results. clean burning, nice tight groups.