The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2000, 08:48 PM   #1
Roadking

I'd like to put a laser sight on my Benelli M1. Thing is that it already has a sure fire fore end, so I have to mount the laser on the side. I have an old Gryphon laser device which uses 1" weaver rings. My weaver mount that I had on my Rem 870 dosen't exactly work well on the Benelli (I had it mounted to the extended mag tube). Is there a figure eight type mount that I can secure to the mag tube and then to the laser? I'm thinking that two of these wold secure it pretty well. I just don't know where to look for it. I have Ghost ring sights and don't want to part with them so the top of the receiver mount is out of the question.

Thanks.
Old March 15, 2000, 09:28 PM   #2
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Roadking

If you have a Ghost Ring rear I take it you got a blade front. You also have a Surefire light. If I may ask... why, oh why, do you want to put on a laser?

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"
Old March 23, 2000, 08:59 AM   #3
Copythat

Road King -- Be carefull when adding too much weight to the Benelli. You may affect reliability. But if you want to add a laser, Tapco.com offers the exact item you're looking for.
Old March 23, 2000, 02:40 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's your money and butt on the line, but I know few serious WIHTF types that put lazers on shotguns. Lazers are fragile, expensive and do little that proper training and handling misses.

Spend the money on ammo and practice, maybe some lessons from a good, qualified instructor. You'll see a better return...
Old March 23, 2000, 04:39 PM   #5
Roadking

Copythat, Thanks for the info. I found something that might work.

For the others....I am proficient with the use of a shotgun among other firearms. I want to use an existing laser sight that I have that is not being used. In my line of work the intimidation factor, such as a laser sight goes a very long way. I have used it in many event free felony stops and take downs. Yes it is my money, it is what I am choosing to do. The post was a request for information not opinions.
Old March 23, 2000, 09:24 PM   #6
Big Bunny

Watch the sighting with a lazer on a shotgun, I sighted mine in at 10m [bore-sighted at home], but as it was mounted underneath in a figure of eight clamp, it shot too low at 30m, [also the shot would drop too, I suppose, ie away from the straight line of the lazer beam.]

The result was wounded varmints (set-piece ambush of rabbits in a citrus orchard with some pools of security flood-lighting )until I wised up what was happening and did some paper patterning on the range.

You can "spotlight" with lasers, eyes of rabbits and feral cats light up well, but be quick - as they do move out of it!

I suppose shooting for 'other purposes' the results could have been worse.....but I do feel lasers are useful over the 3 years I have used them and seem to be OK if mounted properly.

Good luck with your project.