The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 1, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
4T4MAG

Dial Vs. Digital Caliper & Micrometer

I have spoken to a few gunsmiths regarding digital Vs. dial calipers & micrometers. They are all from a "older manual machinist" generation. Being younger and from a CNC generation I am wondering why they would all recommend dial instead of digital.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
ScottRiqui

Although they're easier to read, digital readouts don't do anything critical that the dial readouts won't do, unless you're getting into fancy stuff like averaging multiple measurements and calculating standard deviation, or being able to temporarily re-zero the tool at some position other than "jaws closed" in order to directly measure the difference between two length.

You're also at the mercy of battery life, temperature drift in the electronics, and just a higher level of complexity in general. That being said, I'd be comfortable using a good-quality example of either type.
Old April 1, 2012, 12:20 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have used all of the above, and also vernier calipers, and now use digital for the simple reason that it is easier for these old eyes to read. There might be slight problems, but gun work does not require very high precision, and the digital caliper is plenty good enough.

As to batteries, there are two holes in the case for spares; I keep them filled.

Jim
Old April 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #4
BillM

I've tried them all at one time or another.

Micrometers---I like plain old mikes, with a tenths vernier on the barrel.
Had digital and ones with analog "counters" on them, they are OK but
they don't do anything a old school micrometer won't.

Calipers: My 24" and 12" are vernier. I've also got a couple of 6"
verniers, but they don't get used much. A good set of 6" Mitutoyo digitals
gets the most use.

Dial calipers: If you are in a CLEAN environment, go for it. Dials work off
of a microscopic gear rack and a itty bitty spur gear. Sooner or later, if
there is any dust/dirt/chips etc within 10 feet of the thing, a piece will get in
the rack and when the spur hits it it will jump a tooth. You won't even know it
did it until you try to fit two parts together and one part is off by .015" or
so. I currently own ZERO dial calipers.
Old April 1, 2012, 01:48 PM   #5
ronto

I prefer the "old fashioned" way in most things, including this.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old April 1, 2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Scorch

40 years ago, a good set of dial calipers could easily cost you $100 or more. Nowadays you can get pretty good oned for about $30, OK ones for about $20, and cheap ones for about $12. Digital calipers are getting pretty cheap now too. That said, I use dial calipers and vernier calipers for most of my work.
Old April 1, 2012, 09:11 PM   #7
chris in va

I used a cheap digital for a while but finally got tired of having to re-zero all the time. The dial I bought is much more 'repeatable' and reads a lot faster.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:58 PM   #8
MarkDozier

"Dial calipers: If you are in a CLEAN environment, go for it."
Totally wrong. having worked in NDT in a shipyard envoriment, dial calipers are tougher that he thinks. The important thing is keep them clean and keep them in the box when not in use.
Old April 2, 2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Gunplummer

I hear you. I probably used a solid mic as much as a dial calipers. The calipers is for ruff-out stuff.
Old April 9, 2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Mikey the Barbarian

When I was working in the oil industry, we had a few Russian engineers start work for the company, and they each had one-meter-long vernier calipers. Huge things, hefty and substantial, and measured only in millimeters, centimeters and decimeters. Those things spoiled me for any fancy-schmancy dial or digital calipers, and I came to really love working with them.

That said, none of these guys would part with their toys for any price, so I'm back to dial calipers, 12" or 24", which work just fine.
Old April 9, 2012, 12:41 PM   #11
zxcvbob

I like dial calipers, but I currently don't have any, and the cheap digital that I bought at HF works shockingly well. My eyes aren't good enough for verniers anymore.
Old April 9, 2012, 12:55 PM   #12
TheNatureBoy

Digital!
Old April 10, 2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Inspector3711

I use a Frankford el cheapo digital at home. My big complaint is that the battery life just plain sucks. After using much higher quality tools at work for many years, I'm just about ready to buy a really nice set for home use.

When I do, it'll be digital.
Old April 18, 2012, 06:12 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

measured response

If I'm measuring 'stuff' I use an inexpensive dial caliper.

When I'm measuring 'important stuff' I use a quality ten-thou mike.

None of my tools require batteries.
Old April 18, 2012, 07:53 AM   #15
jrothWA

Use both mics & dial,..

an prefer either.

Electronic when first out were definitely "squirrelly".

Last company supplied dials were "Fowler" and a 10-incher, to boot.
Got tired of trying to stretch a 6" to 6"+.
Old April 18, 2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Rifleman1776

I have all three. The batteries on the digital keep going bad. The old-fashioned micrometer is OK but hard to handle and read. The dial is the one I reach for. Accurate, easy to read, no batteries.
Old April 18, 2012, 07:52 PM   #17
mo84

I personally like dial calipers over digital just for the sake of not having to rezero them. If I need to set a zero that is different than closed jaw, I just turn the dial and lock it. I have left my calipers just laying on the bridgeport table while hacking away and have not had any problems. the more expensive digital calipers are pretty good though and don't eat through the batteries.

The Micrometers I use are standard mics but I also use some with a number counter in them at work and like them too. The digital mics seem to bulky to hold them right, at least the ones I have used anyway.

Like anything the more you pay the better the item, this is more true for digital then anything. You can get a cheap set and they will work fine but you will have to rezero more and burn through batteries more.
Old April 20, 2012, 09:48 PM   #18
Clark

Pin gauges come in .0010" increments in sets.

But you can buy pin gauges individually in between. I have some of these for using as a spud to dial in barrels.

Identifying these without reading the engraved value, if you can beat machinists with micrometers, when all you have is dial calipers, you are good.

What does is all mean?
You may think that micrometers are more accurate than calipers, while that is usually true, there still is the advice, " Never bet on another man's game."
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 21, 2012, 03:35 AM   #19
animal

At one time I wouldn’t even entertain the thought of using digital. Still don’t like ‘em but I broke down and bought a 6" set…. Only ‘cause I lose my reading glasses too much and can’t read the dial. Tools stay where they’re supposed to… friggin glasses sprout legs. The more I use digital, the more I hate ‘em … ‘cause they remind me that I need glasses and can’t find ’em. Getting old sucks and I’m not THAT old !

How’s this for a confession: I have a slide rule in the tool box that I still use.
It don’t need no stinkin batteries either, but I still need my glasses with it.
Old April 21, 2012, 12:25 PM   #20
Edward429451

Digital isn't any more accurate than analog until you've spent thousands on your tool. I always use analog.
Old April 21, 2012, 02:26 PM   #21
firewrench044

have used both-

digital is easier to read (fewer mistakes) but too many bad readings
bad batteries, cheaply made, worn out way too soon causing inconsistant readings
too many *** is going on heres

I went back to dial, even the cheaper ones give a consitant reading

I load for accuracy and when a bullet shoots best between 10 and 15 thou. off lands that is where I want it, with a case trimed to where I wanted it to be trimed
Old April 21, 2012, 02:49 PM   #22
Hawg

I went digital because I can't read a dial anymore. Have a hard enough time reading digital with glasses.
Old April 24, 2012, 08:33 AM   #23
4V50 Gary
Staff

I used vernier calipers until my eyes changed. I thought about dial but went digital. Big is easy to see.
Old April 24, 2012, 10:22 AM   #24
BoogieMan

I use calipers and mics daily. I prefer dial for checking a lot of work. I can read them faster. The digital has a slight delay and ofetn makes people second guess over a .0005 when in reality it is a matter of feel. If you buy either Fowler makes a reasonable priced product thats pretty good. I use Starret but be careful as they now have a plant in China and a lot of there price minded stuff is coming from that plant. Brown and Sharpe makes a great price minded 6" dial caliper. In a micrometer they are all good out of the box. I just started switching my personal stuff over to the Starret digitals and I am very impressed.
Old April 28, 2012, 04:51 AM   #25
4V50 Gary
Staff

Some Starrets are made in the Workers' Paradise now? Oh, the humanity!