The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2013, 03:44 AM   #1
rajbcpa

Missouri lead cast projectiles

I bought these recently and they are not very consistent.

They have pock marks in the nose and bases and their weights vary by 3-4 grams.

They look like they were cast at the wrong temp. In addition, they are covered in too much lube.
Old May 1, 2013, 05:45 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

bullets do the work

I buy lead bullets for my personal guns from Penn Bullets.

For good reason.......ay?
Old May 1, 2013, 06:57 AM   #3
steve4102

Quote:
They have pock marks in the nose and bases and their weights vary by 3-4 grams.
WOW, 3-4 grams, that's about 60 Grains in variation.

Don't load em or shoot em. Call Brad asap and inform him that his bullets vary as much as 60 grains.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:49 PM   #4
tekarra

I have not seen the blemishes you have noted on the bullets, but 3 - 4 grams is a very large difference. However, my last batch did have excess lube.
Old May 2, 2013, 04:18 PM   #5
serf 'rett

There appear to be several cast bullet companies in Missouri. What company made your bullets? Were they specifically from Missouri Bullet Company or one of the other cast bullet companies?

Of the several thousand MO Bullet Company bullets I've loaded, I haven't encountered excessive lube or weight variation or pitting. Their consistency is the reason I have been placing an order about every four to six weeks.

What was their response when you contacted them with your problem?
Old May 2, 2013, 05:06 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
WOW, 3-4 grams, that's about 60 Grains in variation.

Don't load em or shoot em. Call Brad asap and inform him that his bullets vary as much as 60 grains.
I suspect that he either made a mistake, or does not know that more than likely the variation is 3-4 grains. There was an attempt to switch the US from English to Metric measurements some years ago. It was a dismal failure with the only area that actually converted to grams from grains was pharmaceuticals.
Nevertheless, there were hand loading scales offered that calibrated in Grams for a while.
Predictively, the attempt to convert to Metric was doomed to failure inasmuch as everything was side-by-side (double listing, Celsius-Fahrenheit, etc.), and people just continued to use the English measures. Just to demonstrate that it was a failure, ask someone if they are cold or warm if it is 40 degrees Celsius outside. Then ask them how would they feel if it were 70 degrees Fahrenheit out. They will have no idea (usually), when it comes to Celsius.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:23 PM   #7
GeauxTide

I've got Missouri Bullets in 4 calibers. Mass produced cast bullets have blemishes and nicks. The MBs SHOOT and they are cheap. That's all I care about.

Weigh some jacketed bullets sometime.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:57 PM   #8
waynewrc

Missouri bullets

I've loaded several thousand of the .45 200gr SWC with no issues.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:43 PM   #9
Farmland

It is possible to have a bad batch, It happens. I only shoot lead bullets and from time to time every manufacture has sent out a lot a little, well lets just say rough. Yes it has been from Missouri and even Penn who I live close by their place of business.

When it comes to Penn and Missouri I have no major complaints. I have been a Penn customer since 1995 but moved more towards Missouri over the past three years.

The only reason is that Penn bullets are harder to get by this I mean less shops carry their brand that I go to.

Let me set the record straight both companies bullets are very good, neither lead your barrel more than the other. Neither is more accurate than the other. I have won and lost the same number of events on both bullets.

I have no preference and I am well over 20,00 Penn Bullets and about 5,000 Missouri bullets.

If you bullets are bad call Missouri, I'm beating they will do the same as Penn as done for more and exchange them. When some one starts bragging about one brand of lead bullets run form them. There is a lot of lead bullets out there and trust me not one company has the magic lead bullet.

But even though I'm not paid for it I would recommend either Penn or Missouri.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:29 PM   #10
noylj

Shoot 'em.
A couple of years ago, I ordered bullets from Penn and National Bullet Co.
Penn were beautiful. NBC were rough.
NBC were very accurate and the Penn were so-so.
As long as the bullet base is well-filled out, the bullets will shoot well.
I think everyone has sorted bullets by weight, and for handguns the conclusion is "it just doesn't matter."
If you shooting out to 100 yards, it MIGHT be important.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:48 PM   #11
steve4102

Quote:
If you bullets are bad call Missouri, I'm beating they will do the same as Penn as done for more and exchange them
No, No, the first thing to do is go on the Internet and tell the world how you were screwed and your bullets were defective, so defective they varied in weight over 60 grains. Then you ignore your original thread and the advice from forum members to contact the manufacturer.

Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if the OP sells cast bullets??
Old May 2, 2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Voyager2011

Quote:
No, No, the first thing to do is go on the Internet and tell the world how you were screwed and your bullets were defective, so defective they varied in weight over 60 grains. Then you ignore your original thread and the advice from forum members to contact the manufacturer.

Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if the OP sells cast bullets??
Exactly! Brad at Missouri Bullet Company is a good guy and makes a good product. Problems happen, but they will and do make it right. fishy....
Old May 3, 2013, 12:36 AM   #13
ljnowell

Have you called or contacted Brad at Missouri Bullet? Why not post a pic of these badly deformed bullets?
Old May 3, 2013, 06:42 AM   #14
TimSr

Quote:
If you shooting out to 100 yards, it MIGHT be important.
I just know that I am confident enough with my Missouri Bullet co. 240gr SWC loads to take that 100 yard deer shot.
Old May 4, 2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Uncle Buck

I would also be interested in seeing these bullets that vary by so much. I am a Missouri Bullet fan (Partly because they are made 20 miles from my house and mostly because they, the company, always seemed to have what I wanted).

Brad and JoAnn have worked very hard to build their company and reputation. If something as drastic as these bullets left their company, they would want to know and I would venture to say they would make it right.

Contact them (They also have a facebook page)
Old May 4, 2013, 05:13 PM   #16
velocette

I've loaded many thousands of Brad's bullets. They have all been of excellent quality. I am now patiently waiting through MBC's delay in shipment due to their immense backlog of orders.
My experience with MBC has been uniformly positive as has the experience of
numerous folks that post on this forum.
If your bullets are from MBC & are defective, contact them & they will promptly make it better than right.

Roger
Old May 4, 2013, 09:20 PM   #17
GeauxTide

That's Right

Make a post criticizing a vendor and don't reply to lucid questions, and don't provide any pictures or facts. Unbelievable.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:39 PM   #18
orionengnr

I recently placed my third (what I consider) large order from Missouri Bullet.

This order was .45acp 4000 bullets.

The previous two orders were 4000 or 5000 bullets each, in varying calibers.

I have bought and used lead from other manufactures (local and otherwise) before. Missouri is the best I have found so far.