The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 18, 2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Todd1700

Gobbler Down

Third hunt of the season was the charm this morning. Chris and I had fooled with this bird a few mornings but he had not seemed very receptive to calling. Set up near a little clearing where Chris saw him strutting the other day. He fired up at 06:35 this morning and gobbled 16 times on the limb. The 17th gobble was definately on the ground at about 07:00. He was just out of sight over a slight hill on the far side of this little woodland clearing. The whole clearing probably isn't 40 x 40 yards in size. I yelped softly to him after he was on the ground with the Woodhaven slate. Nothing. He stood just over that ridge and gobbled randomly about 16 more times. All the while I'm thinking, "if he keeps this up he's going to call up every hen in Monroe County." Miraculously I never saw a one. I yelped softly one more time and added a few soft clucks. He gobbled but he didn't exactly cut me off. But the next time he gobbled he jarred the ground he was so close to the far side of the clearing. He had to be just a few feet from being in sight. I got the 870 up and pointed in the right spot and waited and waited. Finally I reached over and raked the leaves and straw like a hen does. Not sure if that did it but within 10 seconds I saw that blue head peeking over the ridge through the trees. He had been gobbling so much it looked like it was glowing blue. LOL! I barely had to move my barrel to get on him and lowered the boom at about 40 yards. 17lbs 14oz, 9 1/2 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs. Nice to have the first one under my belt and to christen the new 870 super mag.

Old March 18, 2010, 03:20 PM   #2
longranger

Very cool, good job of staying with it, I've had to sit and wait as long as 2 hrs. for them to show up.A very good bird to boot!
Old March 18, 2010, 03:35 PM   #3
crghss

Nice, very nice,
Old March 18, 2010, 07:59 PM   #4
bamaranger

Alright!

There you go!

Getting a bird early takes the pressure off the rest of the season and always helps me enjoy it more.

Good job, hope you get to hunt plenty more. Weather has been trashy here.

Hunted youth hunt with bamaboy, and 3 mornings on my own, notta.
Today back to work and the sun's out. It figures.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:02 PM   #5
robhof

robhof

My 1st year here in Ky, I was sitting in a deer stand, waiting for the evening deer to come in and I heard hens in the brush in front of me. I carefully ejected my slugs and loaded some turkey loads as both seasons were in and as I shifted to get a better look a tom gobbled from behind me, I turned just in time to se this large gobbler, mid field, he squatted and made for the treeline, a hen from the group started yelping and he turned around and came right to me, I dropped him at 30yds, but probably could have waited to smack him as he was coming at a dead run. Congrats on your excellent gobbler.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:06 PM   #6
waterfowler

Thats one of the best looking wild turkeys i've ever seen. Good job.
Old March 24, 2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Nevertoomanyguns

But its not Thanksgiving, Great looking bird!
Old March 24, 2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Daryl

Nice bird, and sounds like a great job working him.

Congrat's!

Daryl