The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 8, 2002, 10:37 PM   #26
KilgorII

Slow

Old December 9, 2002, 01:19 AM   #27
Rick R

PALongbow,

Keep plugging along, eventually a biggun (or at least a legal one) will wander into your comfort zone. Just remember to let him get close enough to see the whites of his hooves

Rick

Last edited by Rick R; December 9, 2002 at 01:01 PM.
Old December 9, 2002, 10:09 AM   #28
Rmouleart

Thanks a lot guys, Good luck all, tagem and bagem Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

P.S. you guys were right, shot behind the shoulder, no meat damaged, dropped that buck instantly.
Old December 10, 2002, 04:05 PM   #29
Handloader

Good looking Deer, I really enjoy handgun Deer Hunting and have taken several with my 44 SRH and 240 grain Hornady XTP's loaded with W296 but my new favorite handgun is my Encore in 308 Winchester it has a 2.5 X 8 Leupold and shoots some remarkable groups at 100 yards. I shot a nice buck this fall with it at 150 yards. The Encore has given me allot more range but you still have to do the Practice practice practice thing. I don't really thing that the recoil on the 308 is as bad as full house hunting loads in my 44. Anyway great looking deer it's allways more fun when you get one the hard way. Heck anyone can harvest a deer with a rifle.
Old December 11, 2002, 04:08 PM   #30
Rmouleart

Thanks Handloader, I agree 100%...I even bow hunt, boy is that a challenge I shot this 207 pd doe thanksgiving morning at the break of day at 40 yards down hill from my blind, she acted like she did not get hit then went 20 yards and dropped, I shot through the liver and lungs. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
Old December 12, 2002, 08:38 AM   #31
PALongbow

Rick,

Headed out Saturday for the last day of our rifle season. I think the rifle will stay home and I'm going to pot hunt for a little in the morning and then do some roving. After the season opener here in PA its gets really hard to take a deer let alone a buck. Gotta find those remote areas that are thick and not yet hunted hard.

Ron
Old December 12, 2002, 08:40 AM   #32
PALongbow

Rmouleart,

Nice deer and congradulations. I bow hunt but do it with a longbow and home made wood arrows. Talk about a challenge! Any deer shot with a bow is a trophy in my book.

Ron
Old December 12, 2002, 12:08 PM   #33
Rmouleart

PALongbow your so right using a long bow is even more of a challenge. Talk about the deer you could not get a shot at during the bow season,either too far away or a bush in the way etc... if it was rifle they would be toast LOL. I shot at a nice 12 pointer at 50 yards right before rifle season in NH from my climber, The buck ducked my arrow I never thought a buck could duck 320 fps arrow, but yes they can. I think it was due to the hype the buck was under chasing seven doe's around my stand, the doe's at the time would have nothing to do with the buck, maybe they were not in estrus yet, he was for sure the dominant buck. never saw him again I have one more week of bow hunting then its over, maybe I can get lucky and get another shot at a nice deer unaware I am there, I know where they go when they get pressured in the area I hunt, Its the furthest most remote spot in the woods like you said, I will be there at least one more time for the gipper Good luck all, don't give up till the fat lady sings, It happens when you least expect it, when you think all has failed here comes that huge buck sneaking bye. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Last edited by Rmouleart; December 12, 2002 at 02:32 PM.
Old December 15, 2002, 10:34 AM   #34
PALongbow

Our rifle season is over here in PA. I drew the bead at thirty yards, but couldn't shoot a buck last Saturday with my revolver due to it having one antler and it wasn't legal due to our new antler restrictions.

Its going to be a long year with lots of reading, reloading, continued practice, and ground hog hunting.

Ron
Old December 15, 2002, 10:39 PM   #35
Rick R

Rmouleart,

Dude, you need a T-shirt that reads "Women love me, Deer fear me". Some nice pics.

I got skunked for anterless season, I only got out one day and decided to carry my .308 as the deer have been real skitterish. Didn't see any deer till I was walking outta the woods and four were standing beside the property owner's barn, lined up between me and his house. A real "no shoot" situation.

Muzzle loader season starts tomorrow but work constraints won't let me go play till at least Friday. After four weeks of being shot at constantly the deer will probably be able to outrun a bullet propelled by mere black powder.

Oh well, Longbow I'll be practicing with you for next year, I may try taking a deer with the Mountain Gun and my medium load.
Old December 16, 2002, 10:00 AM   #36
Rmouleart

PALongbow your too funny, on the deer part your right, but on the woman part I have not been able to find one that likes what I do or can except it, The woman I am with now says she is a hunters widow LOL. Oh well, Hey off season I am normal but as soon as that chill in the air starts, I get into the hunting mode, its just part of me I can't help it, Im not going to change for any one at 40 years old i will just die doing what I love the most hunting, shooting etc... and being outdoors and just taking in all that good air. Now that deer season is over I think I am going to do some coyote hunting during xmas vacationTake care. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyotes.jpg (39.1 KB, 52 views)