The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 28, 2011, 12:15 AM   #51
checkmyswag

Clothes?

Judo Gi?

Go no gi next time, harder for the potential intruder to grapple with you.

In all seriousness, cool. Things that go bump in the night are often nothing, but always good to be prepared.

I recently bought a small Streamlight with strobe function. 130 lumens or so? Definitely a good option to have at night indoors/up close, temporarily blind someone so you can retreat, attack or hip toss.
Old December 28, 2011, 12:20 AM   #52
MLeake

With regard to clothing... if I had time, I'd put on a pair of pants and sneakers. This has nothing to do with vanity or shyness, and everything to do with utility.

First, my spare tire does not hold spare magazines very well. I might want one of those... or a light... or a cell phone... or a spare gun. You get the idea.

Second, I can move faster, more surely, etc on my trail-runners; I'd rather have something on my feet, if surprised at close quarters.

Third, the police might be a bit unsettled by a naked man with a gun, when they arrive.

Again, this assumes that there is time. Since I usually have a pair of pants near the bed, and since my trail-runners have quick zip kevlar closures, that means the time required is pretty short.
Old December 28, 2011, 12:26 AM   #53
zxcvbob

Quote:
Third, the police might be a bit unsettled by a naked man with a gun, when they arrive.
If the police arrive to see a naked MWAG, they'll shoot him just on principle. (I almost don't blame them )
Old January 1, 2012, 12:52 PM   #54
bikerbill

Another Christmas turkey off to the pokey ... congrats on your quick thinking and your preparation ... glad all is well ...
Old January 1, 2012, 03:32 PM   #55
wayneinFL

Quote:
I know it's important to ID and warn before shooting--but I believe a moment's hesitation, along with the ruthless nature of these gangs--and you are likely going to be dead.
Reminds me of a quote from one of Jim Cirillo's books. He was questioned by a lieutenant after a shooting as to whether he had identified himself as a police officer. "Yes, but I don't think they heard me over all the shooting."

Sometimes things happen fast. When it's time to shoot, don't talk. Shoot. Otherwise, you might end up like that guy in the Burger King in Miami a couple of years ago. Or worse.
Old January 1, 2012, 04:09 PM   #56
Sleuth

You can train yourself to talk while drawing - a few words might keep you from having to shoot. Of course this is 'situational' - IF you have the time to talk.

Then there is a school of thought (centered on the East Coast) that if you shoot and then shout, the onlookers, conditioned by TV, will all swear you shouted first. But today, with cell phones cameras everwhere, I would not try it. Allways tell the truth, it amazes your friends and confounds your enemies.
Old January 1, 2012, 04:13 PM   #57
wayneinFL

Quote:
You can train yourself to talk while drawing - a few words might keep you from having to shoot.
In some situations, you might as well. In other situations, you might want to keep your mouth shut and avoid drawing attention to yourself.

For example, if someone is walking through my home at night with a weapon in his hand, (more akin to the situation at hand) he's not going to know what hit him. If someone confronts me on the street with a knife or baseball bat 20 feet away, I might yell "drop your weapon" as I'm drawing.
Old January 1, 2012, 04:19 PM   #58
Hook686

[QUOTE][... but apparently the law favors the criminal./QUOTE]

I realize it may seem that way, however I believe it is intended to favor the citizen ... one is inocent until proven, in a court of law, guilty. I do not think anone is a criminal until a court of competent jurisdiction adjudicates them a criminal, no matter how much one 'Knows' the person is guilty.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 1, 2012, 04:26 PM   #59
Hook686

Quote:
These guys bang the back door in and rush in fast because the rip-off depends on being in and out before the police respond. My feeling is that I have mere seconds to grab a weapon before they're on me--my inclination is to shoot first and ask questions later since they generally hit in groups of 6 or so to clean the house out as quickly as possible. I know it's important to ID and warn before shooting--but I believe a moment's hesitation, along with the ruthless nature of these gangs--and you are likely going to be dead.
6 armed guys break into your house and I figure you have zero chance to beat them to the draw. So I suspect a moment hesitation is rather a meaningless concept.

I sure would like to hear from someone who was involved when 6 armed guys broke into their home.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 1, 2012, 04:56 PM   #60
10 Beers

I don't put much stock in people flappin' about I'd have done this and I'd have done that. Unless they've been in a similar situation before most people don't know what they will really do until it's THIER turn. That being said I love the idea that you had a gun and you went and got a BIGGER gun.