The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 31, 2000, 02:50 AM   #1
Glamdring

What do you do to improve and refine your skills? I am not talking about gun handling or manipulation.
The Shooting schools cover that to a nauseating degree [reload your gun...do you mean a tactical, speed, or panic reload?].

What things do you use to maintain situational awareness?

Do you practice being aware of terrain, cover, & concealment? Do you think about lines of retreat?

Do you play the "What if?" game?

Have you thought about what you would do differently in a crisis situation if you have friends/family to
protect vs when your alone? I still haven't figured out what the smart thing to do is if you have two or
more small children and you are attacked by, or spot, multiple goblins.

Old December 31, 2000, 04:05 AM   #2
SB

I know. Think twice, post once.

I'm only human.

[Edited by SB on 12-31-2000 at 08:50 AM]
Old January 1, 2001, 08:49 PM   #3
Edmund Rowe

Mental prep can be a daily practice

Keeping up with crime/terrorism news can give you insights as to the latest "fads" like home invasions to think about playing the "what if" game. Keeping up with news can also help bring attention to accidents and mishaps. Sometimes at a certain beach in Florida I read about rubber-necking drivers rolling over sunbathers oblivious to traffic. That convinced me to stay in constant alert there. Of course, there were always good reasons to stay visually alert at the beach anyway.

Trying to keep aware of stuff happening before anyone else realizes something is going down is another good "game" to play. Near a railroad crossing, can you spot the train coming before the gate begins lowering and the bell starts ringing?

At the mall: play "spot the perp(s)". At one time in my home state, a LOT of incarcerated guests of the state prison system enjoyed weekend releases. Maybe it's still that way. Anyhoo, look for the people in the mall (or anywhere else for that matter) that appear to be predators/evildoers. It's not an exact science, but they seem to stick out to me pretty quick. Also, if/when eye contact is made, somehow there's a mutual "don't tread on me" message passed between us.

The very bad situation: envision the best possible option that takes the least time to think and act on. The attack from 3 directions with friendly noncombatants nearby might only be won with a hard, aggressive counterattack. Probably won't work if it's a well-planned ambush, but sometimes the best option is just go down fighting hard. Who knows? Might catch them off guard.

Non-specific mental prep: training your mind with positive input. (begin wise sage on the mountaintop mode) Feed your mind with helpful brain food, not garbage. Read, watch TV, and otherwise study those who train, fight, and win. Marcinko, not Melrose Place. Sun Tzu, not Scarlett O'Hara. Blackhawk Down, not Blair Witch Project.

Finally, firmly ground your personal faith system so your views on life, death, and the level of cheerios in your bowl is without question or doubt.

(end mountaintop mode)

Edmund
Old January 2, 2001, 02:19 PM   #4
PaladinX13

I agree with Ed's statement that you need to have a clear perception of your values and beliefs, so when it comes time, you don't hesitate or bother with philosophy when it's time to do or die. While I'm not paranoid nor do I think about tactics and lines of fire all the time, I do take some practical safety steps and some mental exercises... though, mostly for fun. One of the best ones to do, IMO, is to mentally map any place you're going to be at that is entirely dependent on artificial light. So, for example, imagine how it would be to get from your seat in a theater, to the exit, in total darkness and possible chaos... try to come up with a mental or rational road map that would help you to the end even blind. Of course, I carry a PhotonLight, but that's besides the point!

Another one I do is stress shooting. After a heavy part of a workout, I pick up my airguns and try to hit X-rings with the pistols or keep 1-2 MOA groups with the rifles. Fun stuff.
Old January 2, 2001, 10:44 PM   #5
Ought Six

Here's a suggestion...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=49111
Old January 3, 2001, 09:46 AM   #6
Gopher .45

Aside from the range sessions I do with several friends where we practice all sorts of drills, the three things I like to keep in mind and mentally practice on a regular basis is situational awareness, escape options, and making decisions beforehand as to what I am willing to do. The situational awareness seems easy enough, but in practice is not as easy because one's situation changes constantly when out and about. As for escape options, I try to figure out where I would go if something went down right now! The last is more complicated and involves what I am willing to do if something goes wrong. Carrying a gun is fine, but there really are situations where once you draw the weapon, you are committed and time is a signficant factor. I like to hav the decision made before I draw the weapon as to whether or not I am willing to use it. From what I have read, too many people draw guns and then hesitate because they either can't decide if they want to shoot someone or wrestle with the conscience about how they would feel about it. Some people draw their guns only to realize that they haven't assessed the situation and have too great of a chance of shooting a bystander. My goal is to have those hurdles covered before the gun is drawn. The decision to fire then falls down to threat level, possibly bystanders being hurt if the situation changes, and my escape options. Alot of this is just a mental game or exercise to keep me in the right mindset. As has been said, luck favors the prepared mind.
Old January 19, 2001, 04:55 PM   #7
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Like Edmund said...ya gotta be "all prayed up". The hard decisions have to be made before potential conflict. Otherwise, you defeat yourself.
Old January 19, 2001, 09:36 PM   #8
Arizona Fusilier

"What If", that's my favorite game of all time!

Seriously, and perhaps fortunately, I believe I possess a great knack for condition yellow. I can spot things out of place during my daily routine quite easily. This normally means spotting the guy who wants to initiate contact with you and predict he will before your within 50' of him. But when you make that good, solid eye-contact, you know he's going to ask you for a quarter, and not your wallet. But your prepared, nonetheless.

I'll just share one general rule of thumb that has served me well. Loitering is a 95% sign of something bad about, or at least wanting, to happen. Anyone who appears to be conducting surveillance deserves your unqualified suspicion. Only two types of people pull surveillance; Bad Guys, and the Good Guys trying to catch them. Odds are you'll run into the bad guy.