The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2012, 10:46 PM   #1
G.T. Smith

Mossberg magazine tube removal question

A while back I bought a Mossberg 500 with the 24" barrel with the screw in chokes. It was pretty nasty inside and I got that all cleaned up but would like to remove the magazine tube and clean it good. It seems like it kind of drags and it squeaks when I load it. I can see where it is threaded in but haven't been able to turn it and i don't want to mess anything up or twist it off. Is there a trick to removing it? Any advice would be welcomed.
thank you,
gordon
Old June 22, 2012, 11:10 PM   #2
TX_QtPi

shouldn't be too hard... usually a vice with the rubber tips or something to protect the tube from scratching should do it... just don't over tighten.

since you said it was pretty nasty inside, if it was in bad shape, I'd take it to a smith... not a hard thing to do but if it's stuck in there I bet they got more tricks to get it loose.
Old June 23, 2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The proper removal method is to use a strap wrench so as not to crush or dent the tube.
You need to grip the tube as close to the receiver as possible.

Some Mossberg's may have had Loctite applied to the tube so it can be tough to get off.
Sometimes you may need to apply heat to degrade the Loctite. You want to WARM the metal to around 300 degrees. 300 Degrees is not that hot, DON'T OVER HEAT. You can damage the receiver.

If you put the receiver in a vise to hold it, be aware that the Mossberg receiver is aluminum and WILL get crushed or bent if you tighten the vise much.
If you decide to use a vise, pad it very well and grip the receiver as close to the front as you can.
Old June 23, 2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Al Den

Soak the threads with penetrating oil butt down over nite. Degrease tube near receiver. Use a small strap-wrench wrench there to remove tube with receiver held lightly in padded vise at the intersection just to keep it from turning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strap Wrench.jpg (3.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Al Den; June 23, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old June 23, 2012, 07:06 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

You want to hold the magazine tube the same way you hold it in your hand.

Cut some pine blocks about 4x4 inches and drill a hole in the center of each one the same size as the magazine tube, you want each block a slip fit on the magazine tube.

Then cut a slot (with the grain) from one side into each block, the slot will allow each block to tighten on to the magazine tube.

Slide the bolcks (4-5) on to the magazine tube, close to the reciever, with the slots aligned and tighten in a vise. The whole inside surface of each block will be holding the magazine tube.

This arrangement will hold the tube and allow you to turn the reciever off of the tube.

Using a strap wrench is a sure way of denting the magazine tube with too much force.