The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 25, 2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Bootnutz

Just got new pistol, need help finding sm. pistol primers.

Hi everyone! I just signed up to the forum today.I have been reading it for a while though. I'd like to say, much good info here, I hope to be a member and learn from ya'll for a long time into the future! anyways, my question is this. I got a S&W model 19 .357 mag. (nickel and wood grips) then got a relaoding press with a set of .38 sp dies. I have been able to locate everything but sm. pistol primers. All the shops around here (Rochester, MA) tell me "well they're real scarce" or "yeah, we're waiting on them" and the guys at the gun club tell me "HA! good luck!" with a snicker insinuating that I'll have a hard time finding sm. pistol primers. Living in Massachusetts makes ordering firearms, and ammunition difficult, if not just against the law. So....does anyone have any ideas on where I should go to get some sm. pistol primers? or would anybody be able to send me some if I bought them from you? (is that even legal?) Any / all ideas would be greatly appriciated! Keep up the good work Ya'll - I'll be around for a long time. I grew up with guns, and as a hunter now I'm 31 and it's still just as fun to go to the range as it was when I fifst started shooting at like age 3 or something.

Peace!
Old July 25, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Russ5924

Welcome! But sorry to say most of us are all in the same boat as far as primers go. We all hope things will get better but when??????
Old July 25, 2009, 07:32 PM   #3
W. C. Quantrill

Good luck. You are in the same boat as the rest of us.
Old July 25, 2009, 07:37 PM   #4
CrustyFN

Powder Valley, Grafs and Wideners has been showing primers in stock on and off. You will need to keep a close eye on them or get your name on a backorder.

Rusty
Old July 25, 2009, 09:00 PM   #5
hodaka

Some will dispute but small rifle primers will work just fine. If you can find them you are good to go. Like with any other component change, start low and work up.
Old July 25, 2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Bootnutz

OK, Cool, now I know it's not just MA having this issue. well... thanks guys for the fast responses. I'll keep on searching, and if I find a good supplier I'll let ya'll know. and to "CrustyFN" I'm going to those sites as we speak. Thanks!

Peace
Bootnutz
Old July 25, 2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Swindler1

I passed on pistol primmers last weekend at a gun show for 35 per 1000 because I have 4000 on hand. They seem to be flowing better here.