The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2005, 08:47 PM   #1
m0ntels

Happy Day! Almost MOA w/ K31

I tried making my first 10 rifle rounds the other week just to make sure I was sizing and seating properly and such, and I held about a pie plate sized group with all 10. That load was 37.0gr IMR4064. I figured I'd stagger it a bit around there and see what I could do.

Following are all 10 shot groups at 100yds with original sights off bags:

36.0gr = 2.064"
38.0gr = 1.961"
40.0gr = 1.119"
42.0gr = 2.465"

I gave myself 1 flyer on each target cuz I wasnt using the steadiest of all rests and I could see heat coming off the barrel after the first 20 rounds. The 40.0gr target was one ragged hole with the stray no more than 1/8" away from the group. I was so happy I could make and shoot one big hole without a scope. I know there are plenty of ppl who can do much better than that, but for having done it within my first 50 carts, I am happy with it. I was using cheapy Rem CoreLokt bullets too and Graf brass, so I could have used much better components but didnt wanna spend the bucks on my first attempt. I guess I will have to get some Match Kings sometime and have a go.

Just figured I'd pass that on since I dont run into too much Swiss loading data around. I got an Excel file of all the loads I've found and their sources if anyone wants to trade some data. Email or PM me.

Randy