The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 05:30 AM   #1
bobbart

What is the best ammo for stopping power

What is the best ammo for stopping power. I purchase a Ruger LCR 22 Mag.
I looking for good ammo and stopping power for the 22 mag.
40 Grain, 50 grain? I saw this on a site CCI Landry Maxi-Mag Ammunition, 22 WMR, Jacketed Hollow Point, 40 GR, 250 Rd/Box They want $70 for a box of 250...WOW.
What about this ammo: Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR) 45 Grain Flex Tip expanding

If you have any suggestions, please point me to the correct site.

Thanks,
bobbart

Last edited by bobbart; February 13, 2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Kreyzhorse

There really isn't any pure stopping power with a handgun much less with a 22. While a 22 can stop someone, it's all about shot placement. I'm sure either of the rounds you suggested are fine. Buy a box, make sure they are accruate and then practice, practice, practice.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:32 AM   #3
carguychris

I'm one of those folks who likes to argue that "stopping power" is a misnomer. A 40mm Bofors gun has stopping power. A handgun only has hole-poking power.

THAT SAID...

Of the two ammo types you asked about, the most effective choice for self-defense would be the Hornady. The Maxi-Mags are meant for taking down <20lb varmints with a rifle. They will most likely have excessive muzzle blast when fired from a snubnose revolver, and the bullets are designed to fragment, which will give them inadequate penetration on a heavier target.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Webleymkv

Were I to use a .22 Magnum for self-defense, I'd probably load it with either Hornady Critical Defense or Speer Gold Dot.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Baba Louie

What are you planning on "stopping"?

For self defense, the Hornaday and exact placement a number of times might "stop" unwanted lethal force being directed your way... then again, as most handguns power levels are a compromise due to the size, it might not "stop" someone soon enough to keep them from doing you some serious bodily harm if you only have 6 shots available.

But I assume you know that.

Try them all out and see what works best for you.

No one in their right mind wants to be shot with anything, let alone a .22 magnum. It's the nefarious ones NOT in their right mind you need worry about. So practice precise placement using whatever round floats your boat and apparently nowadays, you find available.

How you liking that LCR?
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old February 13, 2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I looking for good ammo and stopping power for the 22 mag.
None! But If you insist on a rimfire, the Hornady is probably the best choice.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 13, 2013, 11:06 AM   #7
RickAZ

I agree with carguychris, if you want stopping power in a self defense situation bring a suburban. That said, a .22 can be very effective in the right hands. Don't know too many guys that would want to continue the fight after being hit with a half dozen rounds from a .22. It's not the size of the bullet, but where you put them.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:13 AM   #8
FoghornLeghorn

I remember reading about police officers who hit a gunman multiple times in the kill zone. They never did "stop" him. He finally died of blood loss.

Maybe a point blank blast of 12 guage 00 buck to the head of some bad guy might "stop" him.

With a 22 magnum? Doubtful. The best you could hope for is to hit the perp and make the whole ordeal so costly to him he'll just run. Just hope it's not really cold outside cause he'll be bundled up and the bullet won't travel as far.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Nanuk

To stop a lethal threat with a gun, you need to hit them hard enough enough times so that the BG no longer wants to attack you.

The surest was to stop an attack is to interrupt the CNS. The next best is to take the ability to attack away (remove muscle/bone support) and the last is to change the BG"s channel from hurting you to getting away from you.

There are many variables but I look at it from the pain compliance outlook. the more pain you inflict, the more the BG will want to get away from you. Drugs, alcohol and mental state will influence this. Fights are dynamic and rapidly changing, this makes it difficult for accurate shot placement.

What does all that mean? A 22 magnum is maybe not the best tool for the job.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:01 PM   #10
bobbart

I can't find ANY ammo

I can't find ANY of the below ammo. I checked 20 sites all out of stock

1. Gold Dot® Short Barrel® Personal Protection .22 WMR

2. Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR) 45 Grain FlexTip expanding

If anyone knows of any sites that have the above ammo...please post the site.

Thanks So Much,
bobbarto
Old February 13, 2013, 12:10 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

I personally like Gold Dots better than Critical Defense ( in bigger calibers ) I've not tried the 22 Mag offerings, but agree those made for handguns will be more effective than ammo built specifically for most 22 mag rifles...

availability is going to be tough... one thing in your favor, is the premium priced ammo is often what's on the shelves the longest, the bulk packs & cheap ammo seems to disappear 1st... try Cabela's, Gander, or any local gun shop... I've actually seen ammo in those places, occasionally... while the online sources look to be out of everything, unless you put yourself on a "notify list" like Midway does, then buy it imeadiately after they notify you it's in stock, or they'll be out again...

sorry, but those are my best suggestions
Old February 13, 2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Colt46

Not a big fan of the .22 as a SD round

Too small of a cross section. I could understand getting one in .22 LR to use as a training companion to a larger bore, but I really think .22's are too small.
How's the muzzle blast from that thing?
Old February 13, 2013, 12:57 PM   #13
BGutzman

Not to be rude but you should buy a different gun... 9mm, 45 acp, 357 not a 22 so long as you can afford it.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:39 PM   #14
olddav

While I agree that a .22 mag is not ideal, it is what you have. When dealing with a small cal and large target your main concern is bullet penetration. Avoid hollow points and lighter bullets, find the heaviest solid bullet that you can and put sufficient rounds into the target to affect a change of attitude or focus.

This also applys to any cal. I like to think of it as a ratio of cal to mass of target.
As an example brown bear and 44 mag!
Old February 13, 2013, 03:18 PM   #15
L_Killkenny

Use what you will, I don't have a problem with it. But there is no .22M ammo that turns it from a **** to a dragon slayer. With identical shot placement the odds a bad guy is gonna react notably different between standard ol' everyday .22M loads and the new designer loads is so close as to be a non-factor.

My only recommendation is to stay away from the true lightweight, plastic tipped varmint ammo. Other than that any HP in 40grs on up is gonna be about the same.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:56 PM   #16
Ferretboy

in a bad situation, a .22 is better than nothing, its not about size, its about having a weapon when the SHTF. I stopped a guy that meant me bodily harm in his tracks simply by racking a round into the chamber of a .22 LR walther knock off I used to have. so I considered it plenty of stopping power for the situation.

I would go with the Critical Defense rounds.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:50 PM   #17
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Ditch the idea of any hollow point and go with 40 gr grain pointed soft point for maximum penetration. Brand really isn't that critical as long as it is reliable and accurate in your gun. Personal preference of mine is CCI maxi mag solids but I have had good luck with Remington and Winchester. Haven't tried the Federals in 22 mag but I'm sure they will work, right now its more a matter of what you can find.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 13, 2013, 05:50 PM   #18
SIGSHR

Since you cannot reload rimfires I would see what ammunition is most accurate in your revolver. As Bill Jordan said "Speed (and Power)are fine, but Accuracy is final."
Old February 13, 2013, 09:49 PM   #19
Super Sneaky Steve

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCR22Mag.htm

Jeff tested some ammo. He gives the speeds and notes the penetration.

Some got up to 14". Not too shabby.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:28 PM   #20
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoghornLeghorn View Post
I remember reading about police officers who hit a gunman multiple times in the kill zone. They never did "stop" him. He finally died of blood loss.
This exact point is all over dozens of gun sites, that only a rifle round has enough hydrodynamic shock to really be called "stopping power" often times. A .308 in the torso isn't guaranteed, but man that's a tough hit.

I did like the idea of the Bofor's gun, but not only will it never be concealed, it's not even readily portable.

A Krinkov M92 or M85 is technically a handgun, and they're pretty mean. They might deliver enough shock to incapacitate a perpetrator just from blunt force.

But with the 22 shot placement is absolutely critical. So practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.

Obviously, since you're asking about it, the 22 seems to be the platform. If so, then let me say that a 22 in your hand beats the pants off of looking around on the ground for stick.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:05 AM   #21
Gazpacho

I would either go with Federal Game Shok, 50gr JHP, or CCI Gamepoint, 40gr PSP.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:05 AM   #22
Redhawk5.5+P+

This is just to easy

Quote:
What is the best ammo for stopping power (?)
LOL, the ones that go "BANG!!!" every time.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:54 AM   #23
bobbart

Just to let you know

Thanks for all your feedbacks. Just to let you know, the Ruger 22 Mag is for my wife. She has small hands and can't hold a bigger pistol. So instead of getting her the Ruger LCP 22 LR, I got her the Mag.
Going back to stopping power. One person above mention to use the heaviest solid bullet. I don't think that would be good, since the bullet would just go through the target. As for the Jacketed Hollow Point, this will expand and do more harm.
I like Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR) 45 Grain Flex Tip expanding and the Gold Dot® Short Barrel® Personal Protection .22 WMR
But I can't find them online...all sold out. If you know of any sites that sell the above ammo...please point me to the site

Thanks,
Bobbart
Old February 14, 2013, 10:19 AM   #24
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
One person above mention to use the heaviest solid bullet. I don't think that would be good, since the bullet would just go through the target.
I personally would question that hypothesis. A bullet as light as the 22 is going to expend its energy very quickly inside a human body. Especially if it hits bone.

And there are plenty of other larger caliber handguns with small grips. Smith and Wesson specifically targets ladies with some of their revolvers.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:38 AM   #25
vector91

I personally wouldn't use a .22 mag for self defence but if I was going to I would use hornady critical defense ammo.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington