The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Win73

Is this a good idea?

I have a Rossi single barrel .410 shotgun. I never use it for hunting as I have a Remington 1100 for that. As it is the Rossi is just too long and unwieldy to be useful for HD. I have thought about having the barrel cut down to 18 1/4 inches and the stock cut down so the overall length is 26 1/4.

That should make it much handier for HD. And I would not be depending on it alone. I have my S & W Model 637 in my pocket as I type this. Also my Ruger P89 and my P97 are placed in easily accessible locations if needed.

What does everybody think of the idea?
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old June 12, 2012, 10:19 PM   #2
egor20

Not sure about HD, but it would make a nice snake gun.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old June 12, 2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Doc TH

I would not be enthusiastic about a single-shot 410 for home defense. I would be more confident in the handguns you mentioned. I don't believe adding the 410 provides you any benefit.
Old June 13, 2012, 12:11 AM   #4
zippy13

+1 ergo20 and +1 Doc TH

I've got a .410 single shot gopher gun leaning against the wall in a closet, but I've never considered it a candidate for HD.
Old June 13, 2012, 12:37 PM   #5
PoorRichRichard

I think I'm gonna have to agree with the othe posters on the issue of HD, but I still really like your idea. I have a similar setup for my 7-year-old in the form of a Rossi Tuffy .410. The original stock was supper short (about 9 inches), and being made of thin plastic, the reciol was miserable for my son. I spent $70 on an ATI retractable butstock ($50) and thick reciol pad ($20) delivered. We are about to go shoot it tonight for the first time in its new configuration. I'll post before and after pics of the gun later tonight or tomorrow.
Old June 13, 2012, 01:42 PM   #6
BigJimP

any single shot gun ...for HD ....is a poor idea in my opinion ....and a .410 is not a great idea either...( not even if you load it with 00 Buck - where in a 1/2 oz shell ...it has 4 pellets in it ).

Cutting it down is not a good idea....in my opinion.

My primary HD weapon ...is a handgun / a 1911 in .45 acp ...

I have a lot of shotguns ...but I don't need a "tactical shotgun" ...
Old June 13, 2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Win73

Quote:
Not sure about HD, but it would make a nice snake gun.
Yeah, I know it would not be very good for home defense. And I do have better options for HD. I really don't know why I bought it. I didn't have any real use for it. It was on sale for $85 new and for some reason it appealed to me. I have only fired it two or three times. I did loan it once to the son of a friend of mine to go hunting with me.

The snake gun idea sounds good to me. It wouldn't work as long as it is now, but if I had it cut down and made a scabbard for it, it would be good to carry on my 4 wheeler when I am running around in the woods.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old June 13, 2012, 09:42 PM   #8
PoorRichRichard

Here are the pics of my guns:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492401
Old June 14, 2012, 02:32 AM   #9
bamaranger

nope

Lopping the barrel of a SG, creating the proverbial "sawed off" is likely not a good idea. If you ever did shoot somebody with it, you've given a toe hold to all sorts of legal arguement in the ensuing court drama about your ill intentions towards their client and your self crafted murder weapon.

I keep a .410 single barrel near the back door at my place, no doubt in your locale. Its useful for snakes, rats, crows and all other pests, feathered and four legged.