The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 6, 2005, 05:14 PM   #1
Wildalaska

I Was Unarmed...and Lived To Tell About It!

I havent unpacked my Seecamp from my trip yet and yesterday, since I was alone in the shop, I brought my truck Hi Power in with me. I left work at 6 in the dark, picked up my wife and realized that I was completely unarmed! yes unarmed and defenseless! I left the pistol on my desk! I went out for about 4 hours without a gun and I lived to tell the tale! Not only that....I didnt act any different...I didint constantly look over my shoulder, I didnt change my routine...I feel...so...so...empty and untactical. It was....normal....normal night...being unarmed was normal!

Has this happened to anyone else?

WildsharewithmeAlaska
Old December 6, 2005, 05:40 PM   #2
exoduster16

I feel "naked" so to speak without my Gerber knife on me. I'm not old enough to carry yet, so.....
Remington Model 11-87 12 guage
Remington Model 870 Express 12 Gauge w/18.5 in. barrel
And plenty of ammo for all of them
Old December 6, 2005, 05:49 PM   #3
spacemanspiff

the reason you are feeling empty is because you are on a diet. btw, just for your benefit let me tell you about the thick juicy burgers i'm making tonight: i'm marinating them in a delicious honey sauce, and will dice up onions and pepperjack cheese, mixing that with two eggs, a cup of seasoned bread crumbs, and will grill them to medium perfection. thick slabs of tomato and leafs of lettuce and slices of clausen pickles will adorn the pattys well.

i'll brown up some freshly cubed potatoes and smother them with salt and pepper.

hungry yet?

anyways, now that your bulging tummy is irritated at the tofu and ricecakes you've been eating lets get back to the topic. wheres the devil smiley at?

you wouldnt have had to risk life and limb by going unarmed if you'd just BUY PANTS THAT FIT YOU NOW, NOT 10 YEARS AGO!
Old December 6, 2005, 06:56 PM   #4
coolridelude

i feel like that when i don't have my knife or flashlight with me.

same thing happen to me when a casing was stuck in my gun. i couldn't sleep.
Old December 6, 2005, 07:39 PM   #5
USP45usp

A gun is just a tool, good to have around but your chance of needing it (depending where you live/go) is low.

I've gone unarmed before and didn't overly worry about getting caught in a mall shooting or a driveby, etc..

But I bet you would have felt really bad if you had posted this under the title "I was Unarmed.... and almost didn't Live To Tell About It! from the hospital bed

I don't think that most here are that worried if they forget the gun when they go out, like I said, it's a nice tool to have around just in case but normaly the chances of having to use said tool is low (depending on where you live and areas you go).

Plus, you had your wife with you, she would have kicked anyones butt that tried to mug/rob/kill ya'll .

Wayne
Old December 6, 2005, 07:55 PM   #6
DimitriS

Quote:
I feel "naked" so to speak without my Gerber knife on me. I'm not old enough to carry yet, so.....
I know the feeling about not carrying my folding buck or winchester knife. Mind you I cant legally carry ever

I wouldnt ever use it in a fight because that kind of fight wouldnt ever happen but its a good tool to have

Dimitri

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 6, 2005, 09:08 PM   #7
Garand Illusion

WA ... I think this would be better posted at http://thenonfiringline.com (linked via brady.org).

GARANDishouldstartpostingwordsinbetweenmynamesbutohnosomeonesalreadydoingthatandIdon'twanttobeacopycatILLUSION

Old December 6, 2005, 09:51 PM   #8
woodland

Glad you're ok man! My worst was when I went to town, and while there I noticed that my Beretta had no magazine! I was afraid it fell out somewhere, but when I got home, there it was on the bed, right where I put it when I was getting it ready to take. Oh, well, I at least had one round in the chamber!
Old December 6, 2005, 10:10 PM   #9
armedandsafe

When I find that I am unarmed, I get out of bed and put my pants on. That takes care of that.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old December 6, 2005, 10:59 PM   #10
alpineman

I take a climbing trip out West every summer ... no gun all week. I try to ignore the impulse to curl into the fetal position and cry and suck my thumb.

Really - I don't feel "abnormal" without it, and I wouldn't exactly say I loose sleep without the blaster within reach, but...'

I've also gone hiking with no 1st aid kit. I used to have a fireplace (and a house with really old wiring) and no fire extinguisher. I felt normal, and last time I checked, I was still breathing.

There are lots of people roaming around with no gun saying, "See? No gun, and I'm perfectly safe, you paranoid freak!"

Of course, most people don't apply that same logic when they get in the car ... the seat belt goes on before the car leaves the driveway, even if that person has never been in an auto accident. I see my gun the same way. Odds are nothing will happen without it, but why not carry it? I like my guns - all of 'em- and I like carrying them. Plus I feel safer with it than I do without it.

Uh-oh ... the DTs!!!! The shaking!! The nausea!! Where's my gun?!?!?!!??
Old December 6, 2005, 11:59 PM   #11
model 25

I probably talk about this too often but I spent alot of time in Iraq driving trucks for KBR. No gun in a war zone for KBR employees. Now I have carried a gun most of my life and to do this was more than just going through the DTs it was screaming fits.

Now I am home and close to my sugar tits (both 45 acps LOL) again and no one is going to shoot at me again without getting bullets headed back at em, if they miss

Old December 7, 2005, 12:03 AM   #12
Pinky Carruthers

I don't understand. Unarmed?
SOM
Old December 7, 2005, 12:18 AM   #13
almark

JohnKSa: Very very funny... sprayed water on my keyboard.

Personally I hate going unarmed... when my nose itches and I'm unarmed I have to scratch it with my feet, and then I realize how bad my feet smell and I feel self conscious about it.
Old December 7, 2005, 12:26 AM   #14
Garand Illusion

For those of you crazy people who have ventured out unarmed (not sure I really believe it happened) ...

Did you have any LEO encounters? How did they go?

Did the LEO's "make" you as being unarmed, or did they not notice?

Just wondering ...
Old December 7, 2005, 12:35 AM   #15
mathman

I go out unarmed everyday...uh, I live in California...so I guess that goes without saying. Of course, I am armed with the most important weapon at all times...my brain.
Old December 7, 2005, 01:18 AM   #16
exoduster16

+ 1 to dmitri...I'm guessing canada sucks for gun owner's? sorry about that man......but you need to come to PA.
Remington Model 11-87 12 guage
Remington Model 870 Express 12 Gauge w/18.5 in. barrel
And plenty of ammo for all of them
Old December 7, 2005, 04:13 AM   #17
czc3513

See my signature.
I actually havnt packed lately as my mini has been jamming a lot.
I need to get the feed ramp polished.
Im about to get a new carry gun and Im gunna love it!
Old December 7, 2005, 09:18 AM   #18
High Planes Drifter

I am unarmed most of the time. I dont have my cary permit yet. While Im in my shop I cary, usually my Taurus snubnose; but when Im at any other public place, nope no gun. After wearing it all day at work , it does feel kind of wierd not having it on when I go other places.
Old December 7, 2005, 10:00 AM   #19
GUNSMOKE45441

I drove cab In Vegas for a short time in 87, one night I opened my pack, NO LIghtweight Commander!!! gulp.
Drove all the way across town to get it, whew! I could breath again.
Old December 7, 2005, 11:17 AM   #20
Jehzsa

Quote:
Has this happened to anyone else?
+1. But think about this. It's better to keep them guessing.
Old December 7, 2005, 11:37 AM   #21
BatmanX

sporting events....

I carry a blade and a gun at all times.
I feel a little weird when I go to Wild, Vikings, Timberwolves, etc and can't have anything.

Always turns out I need the damn knife to open my peanuts.

Current shopping list:
Bersa Thunder 9mm
CZ SP01

Current Ownage:
CZ-P01
Bersa .380 (Duo tone)
Kel Tec P3AT (SG)
Stoeger 2000 (black syn.) 26"
Winchester Model 97 12 gauge FULL
Marlin Firearms Model 60 22LR
Old December 7, 2005, 03:59 PM   #22
SMITH910

I always feel like that I live in Wisconsin! We'll see if the CCW gets passed here in the coming weeks/months after 135 years. I feel naked without my Gerber or Kershaw though!
Old December 7, 2005, 04:26 PM   #23
BatmanX

know the feeling.

Quote:
I always feel like that I live in Wisconsin! We'll see if the CCW gets passed here in the coming weeks/months after 135 years. I feel naked without my Gerber or Kershaw though!
When we travel to my fiance's folks in WI I always have to stop at the gas station and unload, pack, and lockup my stuff until we get on their property.

Current shopping list:
Bersa Thunder 9mm
CZ SP01

Current Ownage:
CZ-P01
Bersa .380 (Duo tone)
Kel Tec P3AT (SG)
Stoeger 2000 (black syn.) 26"
Winchester Model 97 12 gauge FULL
Marlin Firearms Model 60 22LR
Old December 7, 2005, 04:36 PM   #24
azredhawk44

I went unarmed once and the zombies ate me!
Old December 7, 2005, 05:26 PM   #25
DimitriS

Quote:
+ 1 to dmitri...I'm guessing canada sucks for gun owner's? sorry about that man......but you need to come to PA.
Na the gun laws here arnt as bad as people think. They are pretty simple and we got great definitions of what makes something a "sporting rifle" and what makes something a "Assult rifle" and the like

And the cops are great up here too. They arnt overly obessed with the law from what interations I have had with them so far in my life. I once got stopped for not wearing a helmet and me and the cop talked for like a half hour about hows it been going and he didnt give me the ticket in the end

About moving though I have moved enough times in my life. Maybe if I do ever move agian I'll think about the US. I am liking the South from what I heard from Canadians that have lived there they loved it Best of all no snow. I could go swiming in the coldest time of the year down there To think I'll be wearing a short sleeved shirt and a pair of cargo shorts all year long.

Dimitri

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Firing Line ID 30083