The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 12, 2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Husqvarna

Are there ar15s (mechanisms) in wooden stocks?

Are there ar15s (mechanisms) in wooden stocks? making it resemble a more classic hunting rifle?

It is plenty popular to change stocks for a bunch of bolt actions and semis but is there a market for the same thing but with ar15s or does the design make that impossible?
Old July 12, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
alex0535

Yes, and unless I read it from someone that was making it up, these rifles began with wood furniture in their early development.

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDAR15.html
Old July 12, 2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Husqvarna

very nice but it is still the basic configuration with handguard, pistol grip and buttstock.

I was more looking for something that totally changed the look of it. like people seem to do with mini14s or whatnot. slipping the whole action/mechanism into a complete stock
Old July 12, 2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Due to the upper and lower receiver design that's not going to be something that would work out well.

To fit around the lower, the wood would have to be extremely thick, and very deep.
Imagine a wood shroud that would cover the lower receiver. It would have to be so bulky, no one would want it.
It could probably be done, but I suspect there would be no market for it due to weight/bulk/appearance.
Old July 13, 2013, 06:01 AM   #5
Nickel Plated

So get rid of the lower and upper altogether. A complete wood stock with a sheet metal inner frame to fit the trigger components and a more classically styled upper to hold the barrel and BCG that fits into the wood stock.

Totally doable, not particularly complicated. Just a bunch of parts to fabricate.

The only issue I see is the AR bolt carrier travels directly backwards, intot he straight AR stock. Whereas most classic rifle stocks are angled downward in relation to the bolt. So it would take some design work to figure out where the bolt goes when cycling. Though there's ways to deal with that.
Old May 3, 2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Husqvarna

so when does the first really nice wooden stock for this get made?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...remington-700/

sexy rifle IMO
Old May 4, 2014, 11:31 PM   #7
Gbnk82

Quote:
sexy rifle IMO
Really?!?!? if you ask me I thought that was one of the absolute ugliest rifles made..I remember seeing the pic a little while ago when they where announced I thought wow it almost looks like someone tryed to take a mosin Nagant and make it look tacticool..but we all are entitled to our own opinions
Old May 5, 2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Madcap_Magician

Turnbull makes a gorgeous AR-15 with wood furniture and case-color hardened upper/lower receiver metal parts.
Old May 5, 2014, 09:18 AM   #9
g.willikers

If the looks of an AR is objectionable, what's wrong with a Ruger Mini?
Doesn't it fit the description, without further effort?
Old May 5, 2014, 10:50 AM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

There are two-piece wood replacements for the standard AR furniture, but you won't see a one-piece, for the reasons D laid out above.
It's built the way it is for a reason.
Denis
Old May 6, 2014, 12:08 PM   #11
Husqvarna

Quote:
Really?!?!?
yeah for sure.

bear in mind I live in Sweden were ar15s are still very uncommon, you can't get them on regular hunting licenses, not even that configuration.

I am a sportshooter to so I have gotten to shoot a few of my buddies ipsc guns but even that is very very uncommon (big hassle to get such a license)

I am kidna in the "it looks like a toy" category
Old May 14, 2014, 11:15 PM   #12
TDL

Quote:
Really?!?!? if you ask me I thought that was one of the absolute ugliest rifles made..I remember seeing the pic a little while ago when they where announced I thought wow it almost looks like someone tryed to take a mosin Nagant and make it look tacticool..but we all are entitled to our own opinions
Actually, from the specs it seems like it would be a heck of a lot more capable, functional and accurate than a mini 14. I bet it is an enormous seller in ban states.

I am getting at least one
Old May 16, 2014, 08:09 PM   #13
tahunua001

yes I used to own one, the wood didn't hold up very well so I went with more "traditional" plastic furniture.

Old May 17, 2014, 12:05 AM   #14
Crankylove

Tahunua, how much weight difference was there between the wood furniture and the plastic you switched to?
Old May 17, 2014, 09:47 PM   #15
tahunua001

actually it's about the same.
Old May 18, 2014, 12:43 AM   #16
Duzell

it should be, it looks like a laminate stock , which is lightweight usually, but durable as heck
Old May 18, 2014, 11:59 AM   #17
tahunua001

normally it would be durable but in order to fit an AR the durability is compromised by shape. the stock has to be hollowed out to fit the buffer tube, leaving less that 1/4" thick in places. the buttstock developed a split running from the receiver about halfway down the buffer tube because there just wasn't enough of it to hold itself together. the pistol grip was solid but the handguards also had to be thin in several spots to add that "heat bubble" around the barrel and to fit the delta ring. the lips that lock into the delta ring broke off and one of the handguard halves began stripping off layers of laminate. keep in mind that this is a 9mm AR and I don't normally do mag dumps or rapid fire with it. a 223 would likely generate more heat and reduce the life of the handguards even faster.
Old May 19, 2014, 02:52 PM   #18
nc-oldfart

For the guy that has to have wood on a AR
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/subgrouping.htm?cat=6237