The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 21, 2010, 07:44 AM   #1
catken

C&B cleaning video

I've read a lot of good suggestions on cleaning a C&B,but not much in the way of videos which I think is the best way to convey your message.If there are good videos via the internet, could you please direct me. If not , maybe you or someone you know could make one. Thanks ken
Old May 21, 2010, 10:45 AM   #2
idaram

Video

I've seen one. It's "ok". Cabelas has it on their site. Really doesn't go into the innards mutch.

Best................Andy
Old May 21, 2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
Really doesn't go into the innards mutch
No need to. I only go inside mine maybe once a year.
Old May 21, 2010, 01:04 PM   #4
suzukibruce

i couldnt believe it when an old, and i mean OLD, man told me the best way to clean bp was to remove the grips and toss it in the dishwasher...
Old May 21, 2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Forklift

Would that actually work if you had a modern washer with a 'high heat' or 'sterile wash' setting to aid in drying the metal afterward?
Old May 21, 2010, 07:05 PM   #6
robhof

robhof

It might work fine for a stainless, if you lube it while still warm, carbon steels will probably flash rust in a washer, if left in long for a complete drying cycle and allowed to cool in the humid washer. I prefer the oven for drying or a hair drier.
Old May 21, 2010, 08:38 PM   #7
mykeal

Actually the dishwasher does work. I tried it once, but when SWMBO got home I was counseled to either find another dishwasher to use or another place to sleep at night.
Old May 21, 2010, 09:33 PM   #8
RemTim

Quote:
No need to. I only go inside mine maybe once a year.
Hawg, how often do you shoot?
Old May 22, 2010, 12:05 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg, how often do you shoot?
Not as much as I used to. I used to shoot almost every day now it's more like once a month.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:10 AM   #10
RemTim

And you only do a complete tear-down once a year. I can't stand it;I have to tear mine down every time. I though everone else did. too. Overkill I guess.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:14 AM   #11
Hawg

I never got in the habit. When I started I knew nothing about it so had to learn everything by trial and error. Mine are always clean and shiny inside when I do tear them down. I do slosh the action around in soapy water when cleaning the rest of it but as far as tearing it down I don't.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:31 AM   #12
Kadmos

No way could I do that, mine come completely apart after every shooting session.

I've found bits of cap jammed into every possible part of my 51 at various times

I'm also one of those nutters who enjoys cleaning guns, usually end up cleaning my brothers as well half the time. He went 3 years without fully taking down his SKS, I was amazed he didn't end up with slamfires on that one.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:36 AM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
I've found bits of cap jammed into every possible part of my 51 at various times
If you get in the habit of raising the muzzle and tilting it to the right slightly when you cock it it will do away with a lot of that.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:38 AM   #14
RemTim

When i bought my 1971 Uberti remmy, I suspected it might be dirty on the inside when I destroyed the bolt/trigger spring while trying to disassemble it, it was filthy on the inside. When I post the pics on the posse roundup thread, I noticed the damage to the blue in front of the cylinder due to neglect. I will never get that way again as long as I am breathing; I completely tear mine down even if it is one cylinder fired in it (and my 1972 like it). I enjoy it too...
Old May 22, 2010, 01:02 AM   #15
suzukibruce

kadmos you should have seen my second sks when i got it... the gas tube was so gummed and rusted the op rod wasnt working yet the gun cycled about 9 times out of ten... you got me how that works but i ended up using a fitting brush in a drill to get it clean... i worked on it for 4 hours before the piston would slide smootly... now it has a tapco compliance piston and tube on it...
Old May 22, 2010, 01:10 AM   #16
RemTim

SB, do you tear your remmy down every time?
Old May 22, 2010, 01:22 AM   #17
suzukibruce

ummm yeah, actually no i just toss it in the dishwasher (i dont have one now though).... i havent fired my new one yet but i probably will for the first couple of times...
Old May 22, 2010, 10:58 AM   #18
wittzo

I'm spoiled by my stainless Pietta Remington. If it's particularly greasy after I shoot all three cylinders, I do a deep clean. If I only shoot one cylinder, I just wipe it down with a moist paper towel, but I clean the cylinder.
Old May 22, 2010, 11:29 AM   #19
RemTim

I guess my tearing down after one cylinder was real overkill. I would rather err on that end of the spectrum, though than to see any of my guns in the condition I found my '71 Uberti Remmy at the time of purchase.