The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2010, 05:17 PM   #1
steelman762

NAVY ARMS 58cal Buffello rifle

I just purchased a used Navy Arms 58cal buffello rifle. It also came with some shooting supplies, mini and maxi ball, FFg powder,patches etc. I have never loaded or shot one of these before. I am not unfimiliar with black powder arms I have a 1858 rem new army revolver I have used in the past. The question is I have some 426gr maxi ball bullets. The rifle has a 26" barrel. It uses musket caps for ignition. What is the starting load I should use using RS FFg powder? I have read on other bloggs they state 80gr. Is this correct? Thank you for any assistance you can give me.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:42 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Steelman - It's been a while since I've seen one but if I remember correctly, this is a modified "1863 Remington Zouave" - halfstock with a barrel rib? I cut my teeth on a repro. Zouave 45 + years ago. I'm curious - what is the rifling - 3 lands and 3 grooves (my Zouave repro is)? I always shot 60 grains of FFG Goex in mine with a standard .58 minie ball - also shot a few patched round balls out of it as well. I put a lot of rounds through it when I was shooting NSSA. I know a lot of folks use a heavier load but with my .58 Zouave, 60 grains worked just fine. That might be a good starting point and then work up from there (or equiv. of BP substitute)? Just a suggestion . . . . good luck with your new rifle - I alwasy thought they'd be a lot of fun!
Old February 9, 2010, 06:50 PM   #3
simonkenton

You wouldn't want to exceed 80 grains with that big slug. Your shoulder will get quite a thumping.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:51 PM   #4
TomADC

+1 for the 60 grs FFg that's what I shoot in mine also.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:02 AM   #5
eastbank

i got my first .58 in the early 60,s, here are two foxes my brother and i shot in 1966,him with a .280 and me with my navy arms zouave. the load was 60grs fff and a 575312 hollow based mini, lubed with crisco(hollow base filled). load was good for 3 inch bench rest groups or better at 100yds. eastbank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ikbl.jpg (23.5 KB, 47 views)
Old February 10, 2010, 03:19 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

eastbank - loved the photo! You guys look like a couple of real "desperados"!

As I said, I cut my teeth on a Zouave repro. - back in the early 60's. I've shot and built a lot of custom rifles since then - flint and percussion as well as shooting BP revolvers. I still get a twinge of nostalgia whenever I see a Zouave - I still have mine and cherish it as it was my first BP rifle and my Dad helped me buy it. I have so many pleasant memories associated with it and the hours of enjoyment it has provided. I put a lot of rounds through it on the farm as well as shooting NSSA. A beautiful rifle and lots of fun to shoot. I know that the fellow who started this post will love his Buffalo Hunter just as much - they are a handsome rifle as well and I hope he has hours and hours of enjoyment with it.
Old February 10, 2010, 03:41 PM   #7
steelman762

bedbugbilly, yes it is a half stock with rib and has 3 lands,grooves. The grip is checkered. It is in very good condition. I don`t think it was shot much no pitting in the barrel. Bluing is 95% anyway. I would post a pic of it but my scanner is down. 60gr sounds more like it to me. Thanks for everyones help. There is alot of knowledge on this sight. I let you know how it turns out when it stops snowing.