The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 28, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1
The Great Mahoo

Looking for a low power optic for Mini-14

Hey gang,

I'm thinking about getting a low-power optic for one of my recently acquired Mini 14. Could be a traditional, or a long eye relief "scout" mount.

I want to keep the overall power on the low end, say 4 or 5x at max. I was thinking maybe a variable, with (1-2) - (4-5)x as ideal. However, I want to keep it cheap, with no more than $300 tied up in it. It's just for plinking and having some fun, but I want it to be dependable and hold its mark.

The only one I really found with a cursory scan is the Mueller Speed Shot, but I'm not sure on the reticle, as I tend to like more to it than just a dot.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
Old January 28, 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
btmj

I think the Nikon Monarch African 1-4X20mm is outstanding, I put one on my AR-15. The very similar Nikon M223 1-4X20mm is the same basic scope, but with a different reticle.

Several other companies make 1-4X20mm scopes... They all seem pretty good, but if I was going to step up from the $280 Nikons, I would go for the Leupold VX-R with the illuminated reticle. I think they go for about $550.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

All I ever had was early model Minis. I always stuck a Weaver K4 on top. Worked just fine for plinking, coyotes and jackrabbits.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:20 PM   #4
jmortimer

"Weaver K4"

That is a real good scope for the $$$.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:52 PM   #5
hodaka

I think Mini's are perfect for a red dot. No magnification but much easier to use than the irons. Mine have 30mm Tasco ProPoints. Too much scope brings the inaccuracy to attention. With the red dot and the irons you won't notice the comparative inaccuracy.

Last edited by hodaka; January 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:27 PM   #6
paknheat

I had a Burris 2-7 on my Ranch model for a while, was real good out past 300 yards, & was great for night hunting too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 29, 2013, 12:07 AM   #7
TexAg

I really like my Burris TAC-30 so far. 1-4x with a lighted reticle that is black when not lit. VERY clear glass and a snap to use.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:19 AM   #8
C7AR15

Old but good

a 3x-9x would do the trick.
I have a Mini 14 and I put a 1.5-4.5X on it
and I found I wanted more power!!!!
The 3-9x usually come at a good price too.

Also I put a GG&G Pitcanny rail on the mini so now I just switch between a
3-9X and a vortex red dot.

Lots of options for your gun????????? JD
Old January 29, 2013, 12:23 AM   #9
aircorpnut

i had a mueller 2-7x32 "shotgun" scope on my mini 30 for years & it held up well to the abuse. sold the mini 30 & picked up a mini 14 tactical this spring. the mueller is now mounted on it with warne QD rings. its illuminated too, which comes in handy at times.

http://muelleroptics.com/mu2732igr
Old January 29, 2013, 10:21 AM   #10
kahrguy

I also like the idea of the mueller speed shot. Seems like good 250 yard and under scope.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:26 PM   #11
I'vebeenduped

Scout scope

I am getting the mini-14 scout mount this weekend since I heard that is a good accessory for dispersing the heat and stabilizing the barrel (please, understand that I have a 186 model "http://www.amegaranges.com/index.php"). I am currently using the after market ATI stock of which I am not completely thrilled, mainly because of the wobble factor in the folding stock. That having been said, I really enjoy the mini set up with a scout scope (1-7 pwr). I feel that I get a much faster target acquisition with it and my aging eyes don't have any difficulty adjusting to it. Besides, a regular scope would probably make me out shoot my rifle and I don't want to feel like I need a new rifle in today's day and age. I have an off-brand scout scope, can't remember the make and rifle is not in front of me, which serves me well. Of course, you do what works best for you, but I would suggest giving the scout mounted scope a try. You may never like a traditionally mounted scope again.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:31 PM   #12
I'vebeenduped

Scout scope #2

I meant to include this. Here is my better half on her first outing. I really do like the position of the scout scope!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shooting.jpg (39.1 KB, 24 views)
Old January 29, 2013, 12:54 PM   #13
The Great Mahoo

Thanks for the input.

I have shot rifles with the scout scope before and really liked it. What mount do you have? I've seen 2 different companies, whose names escape me at the moment, each for around $150 if I recall correctly. Not sure if the mount would interfere with the iron sights or not, so I haven't ordered one till I figure out what scope to do.

I already have the rings for a traditional mount, as they came with the gun, but I'm always a bit weary of mounting a scope over the ejector like on the mini. I understand that they are designed to toss the brass away from the scope, but it still sticks in my mind. That being said, I've never shot a scoped mini, so I'm sure it wouldn't bother me for long.

As for the red dot idea, my AR sports one, so I'm looking for something else for the mini.
Old January 29, 2013, 01:30 PM   #14
MOshooter65202

I would think that a low powered variable scope would be nice on a mini,I have a Burris Signature 1.5-6x40 with a electro dot which is really nice in low light shooting and very compact,I have it mounted on a DPMS LR308AP4 Carbine and it does a very good job...Can't go wrong with a low powered optical for a carbine style rifle. IMO
Old January 29, 2013, 01:40 PM   #15
I'vebeenduped

My scout scope was a gift from a buddy of mine. He tried it on his Mosin but the mount to the rifle wobbled for him. I don't know what rings they are. I'd like to get some that I can see through but then I would have to get a cheek riser. If I had a different stock that might not bother me so much. Those ATI stocks are not fun to stabilize from what I've read.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:40 PM   #16
sholling

I have a Weaver V3 1-3x20 (~$170) on one of mine and I like it a lot. Just keep in mind that Minis can be a bit hard on scopes.

Old January 30, 2013, 02:58 PM   #17
I'vebeenduped

Use the shock-buff recoil buffers made for the 1911. It is my understanding that the brand shock-buff are thin enough to not interfere with the bolt locking when your 7 round magazine is empty. Besides, they are much cheaper than the ones specifically made for the mini, which cause locking problems until they are broken in.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:17 AM   #18
ronl

I'll second the Burris TAC30. Friend of mine has one on an AR and it is a very nice optic. I think Midway has them for $279 this month, but if you check around you might find it a little cheaper. Nice glass.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:45 PM   #19
The Great Mahoo

Thanks for all the input, guys. I think I have a few ideas now, but might wait for the next gun show in 2 months before ordering anything online. With my schedule, I won't be getting any shooting in before then anyway
Old February 6, 2013, 04:38 AM   #20
bamaranger

DMR

There are several DMR type scopes on the market that are low powered variables and have ranging and illumination to boot. The Leatherwood (HiLuX) and the Weaver come to mind. Leupold is selling a "patrol rifle" optic same role. The Burris Tac-30 as mentioned.

My Mini-30 is wearing a Leupold 1-4x shotgun scope. The 5 yd parallex does not bother me bit with the x39 cartridge. It has beaten a 2-3 cheap import 4x's to pieces.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:16 PM   #21
KO3422

I'll throw it out there, but I like the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x....preferably the green triangle reticle (TR24G).