The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 24, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Dalton

S&W .38 Special CTG

Hey everyone, I had a guy that had this old hand me down 'S&W .38 Special CTG' It's a really old beat up gun with most of the finish gone. The cylinder would stick when you try to open it. He wanted it cleaned and working well enough to shoot. I took the side plate off, sprayed it with gun blaster, and hit it with a toothbrush. Then I wiped everything down and oiled it up. Put it back together. Cleaned and oiled the chamber and yoke while it was off as well.

Chamber would now swing freely when now when it was out of the gun, but would still stick. I played with it and found out that if I barely pushed back on the cylinder it would come out with no problem. I figure the front of the cylinder is getting caught on the little piece of barrel that juts out. I forget what it's called. Anyway, does anyone have a guess as to what's causing it to catch and what I could do to fix this? I also want to say that when I pushed on the ejector rod instead of the cylinder it also got loose and came out correctly, but I'd have to go do it again to make sure. Thanks for all the help.
Old August 24, 2012, 09:33 AM   #2
ScottRiqui

Make sure that the ejector rod is screwed tightly into the cylinder - if it's started to work its way out, it can cause the cylinder to bind when you try to swing it out. Depending on the age of the pistol, the ejector rod could have left-handed threads, so make sure you're not loosening it by mistake.
Old August 24, 2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Dalton

Thanks Scott. I thought the same thing. It screws and unscrew a little easier than it maybe should, but I have the same problem when it's screwed in tight. I've recently thought that maybe it had or needs a spacer. Does anyone know if this gun had one?
Old August 24, 2012, 07:13 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

I'm not sure what model you have - are there any other markings? Patent dates, a model number inside the crane opening, etcetera?

Tags
.38 , cylinder , revolver