The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 14, 2011, 08:18 PM   #26
Brant

MTT TL

"So? Lots of people have problems. They are denied their rights too. You are starting to sound a little whinny now. If you really cared you would do like that guy in DC and sue the state for the right to carry for everyone instead of trying to figure out a way to take care of yourself."

Your right, lots of people have similar issues, such as women with restraining orders agent ex-boyfriends, people who live in bade neighborhoods, and plenty of other examples.

The issue is not that I want something and think others shouldn't have the same right. The issue is the Correctional officers in my state HAVE that right so as their department head says two simple words: GO AHEAD. No courts, no litigation, no changes to law necessary.

Someone in an earlier post said:

"Brant, sounds like everything went well for you"

I took offense to this before I realized I was probably reading something that wasn't there. When people say "well it looks like everything went well" especially administrative officials, they're really saying, "No one got hurt and no one died, so we don't have to change policy." That is my point here. untill somone dies, my det. will never hanve its policy. If the administrative officials are not willing to allow their officers to carry, then a concealed carry law is the only way.

The one Illinois almost passed tis past year had a specific clause in it that allowed corrections to carry regardless of department policy. I'm not saying that is what i want, like I said before, a concealed carry law and all the fees, training and so forth is plenty enough to solve my complaint here.
Old December 14, 2011, 08:21 PM   #27
gofast1320

Guy makes comment

I would have left while dialing 911. Never try to Police off duty, ever- call the cops.
Old December 14, 2011, 08:23 PM   #28
MTT TL

Quote:
The issue is not that I want something and think others shouldn't have the same right. The issue is the Correctional officers in my state HAVE that right so as their department head says two simple words: GO AHEAD. No courts, no litigation, no changes to law necessary.
That is not a right. You are at the arbitrary whim of your boss.

Suppose your boss had said; "lets go search Brant's house because I think he is up to no good".... You see the difference?
Old December 14, 2011, 08:34 PM   #29
Dennis1209

I hear ya Brant. I lived in "The Peoples Republic of Illinois" for thirty eight years, Cahokia, IL., next to East St. Louis to be exact. Lived in a crappy house, small lot and high crime area and had a property tax bill of $4,000.00 per year. As soon as I retired, I got the hell out of Dodge. My advice is not to walk out of that state, but RUN.

BTW: I admire your profession, I certainly couldn't cope with the stress and danger of your job. It's one of those professions that's under appreciated.

I'll bet you have some on-the-job sobering stories you could tell.
Old December 15, 2011, 10:39 AM   #30
Fishing_Cabin

Brant,

That was I that said, "Brant, sounds like everything went well for you." I did not mean any offense and was glad everything ended with no one hurt and it sounds like the bad guy was picked up too.

Please take no offense at this, while I am in NC, and we have a concealed carry law, I am also a police officer too. Even though legally speaking the concealed carry law is available, it would put me in violation of dept policy, subject to disciplinary action. I knew this when I took the position, and I try my best to go by the rules. Our off duty carry though still limited, is slowly expanding. All I and others can do there is to keep slowly applying some gentle pressure and regularly asking for things to be changed for the better.

My suggestions to you, while not easy, would be to work with others to try to muster support for a concealed carry law in IL, and also try to work from within your agency to ensure that if that law does get passed, they do not restrict you because you work there. Also you may work toward getting your agency to allow more certified folks to carry off duty even with some restrictions it sounds like it would be more then you have now. I know and understand its an up hill battle.
Old December 15, 2011, 12:12 PM   #31
C0untZer0

ISRA and Illinois Carry are working to get OC and CC in Illinois:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

Things are kind of at a standstill right now waiting for two judges to rule in the Moore and Shepard cases.

Carry is coming to Illinois though... candidates who are running against the politicians who voted against 148 are getting the support of the ISRA and NRA. Some of the politicians who voted against 148 this last time have reconsidered their position since then.

Attitudes about gun ownership and carrying have changed somewhat in the African American community.

There are a lot of factors that cause me to be confident that we will eventually get it.

Right now though its a bit of a waiting game, waiting on the judges...