The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2011, 12:32 PM   #1
rhinonewshooter

replacement front beads???

The front bead on my beretta A390ST is loose. I'm thinking of putting a drop of loctite in the threads, but then removal later would be a hassle later. Before I get too committed to what I have, should I be looking at/considering any high resolution front beads?

I plan to shoot primarily skeet/trap/SC, and MAYBE a bird trip at some point in the future.

thoughts?
Old August 10, 2011, 12:36 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Blue loctite is not super stout... usually heat is not required...

With that said, I usually use a drop of fingernail polish if I do not want to try loc-tite.

brent
Old August 10, 2011, 01:20 PM   #3
zippy13

+1
K.I.S.S.
Old August 10, 2011, 01:27 PM   #4
BigJimP

Blue Loctite is plenty ....

No, don't go to any of the Hi-Viz sights ....they're a waste of money .../ especially the ones that are about 4" long that are magnetic ...

The only reason you have a front bead / and a mid bead ....is when you mount your gun ...you can see if its canted or a bad mount ...after that, you should never look at the beads on your gun ...never, ever ...

and the same goes - whether its a bird gun / or any kind of a clay gun ...
Old August 10, 2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Pahoo

I too would recommend locktite Blue and have had great results with it.

Quote:
No, don't go to any of the Hi-Viz sights
WOW !! Sorry to hear that as I bought a universal shotgun kit and replace an actual HiViz bead on a BPS. I'm very happy with it. I also use the longer clip-ons for vent rib, on Turkey shotgun and it seams to be okay. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old August 10, 2011, 02:33 PM   #6
BigJimP

A Turkey gun is a little different ....

...but the real bright / and long Hi-Viz sights, in my view, have no place on a shotgun used for moving birds - either feathered or clay ...( like Quail, or in Sporting clays, etc ) ...so my comment was too general ...sorry ...

I'm not an experienced Turkey hunter ...but its my understanding ...that most Turkeys are taken with head shots ...as they are standing or walking thru decoys...
Old August 10, 2011, 03:02 PM   #7
johnbt

Just toss the loose bead. You don't need it. Look at the target and shoot.
Old August 10, 2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Pahoo

I agree on the wing shots. ..

Quote:
I'm not an experienced Turkey hunter ...but its my understanding ...that most Turkeys are taken with head shots ...
Better to aim for the neck and most shots are still shots. I have taken a few wing shots but not always practical. No decoys, just call ...

I see where you are coming from and completely agree. I know a duck hunter who actually taped flourecent jig-heads on both sides of his barrel and said it helped him hit more ducks. Ugliest looking thing you ever saw. I really did not know what to say !! ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 10, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old August 10, 2011, 03:48 PM   #9
BigJimP

Every time I go to my club ....I see something amazing...

Yesterday, shooting with a guy ...( his scores are really bad ...) ...even though he really tries in his own way to get better ... he was shooting a Browning O/U 30" barrels, 12ga ...at skeet .../ he had a pair of Mod chokes in the gun .../...and he was shooting new Rem Nitro loads ...1 1/8oz, 7 1/2's, at 1300 fps ....( and he was averaging maybe 15 out of 25 ... !! ) ....

....his stance is terrible / his swing is clumsy and choppy, targets get ahead of him all the time, he stops the gun, picks his head up off the comb all the time .../...and those are his good stations..../ and my buddy and I have tried all kinds of things to coach him up ...and he goes right back to what he was doing before ...

Its like watching a car wreck ..../ but he's not really a bad guy ... and he comes off station 6 ( where he missed 3 of 4 targets ) he walks over to me by the fence and tells me he thinks he's getting better ...and the tighter chokes and the combination of the 1 1/8 oz of shot at 1300 fps is making him better - so he really isn't minding the extra recoil ... ...as I've just been watching his head snap back like its on a big punching dummy ...

and when we come off of station 8 ....where I had a 23 ( not great either ) in a 20ga / my buddy shot a 24 ..and he was aggravated....this guy says to me, well that was a 20, so not so bad .... ( a 20, he missed 3 on station 6, one more on 7 and one on 8 ....) and at least 5 more between stations 1 and 5 ..../ and all I could say, was "ok, get em next time"...!!
Old August 10, 2011, 08:12 PM   #10
jmr40

Quote:
I'm not an experienced Turkey hunter ...but its my understanding ...that most Turkeys are taken with head shots ...as they are standing or walking thru decoys...
And often in poor light. The hi vis beads work well for this.

I'm not a great clay shooter, but do waterfowl hunt. Legal shooting time is 30 minutes prior to sunrise and it is still pretty dark in the flooded timber where wood ducks hang out then. My duck hunting for the day is usually over before sunrise. They work well here too.

I could see them being a hinderence on a clay course, dove hunting or upland hunting. I can quickly remove mine in those situations.
Old August 11, 2011, 07:58 PM   #11
LSnSC

If you'll take that hi vis bead off I'll wager you average on those woodies will rise. I hunt the same conditions and my 390 doesnt even have a bead. I took it off years ago to make myself quit "checking the bead" and Ive never put it back on.
My 391, skeet and sporting gun has one but its a small Bradley style.
Old August 22, 2011, 08:13 AM   #12
rhinonewshooter

Well I must have had a nice hour of shooting - I secured the front bead with some clear nail polish. then I put 125 rounds through in less than an hour (lesson) and the bead was moving around again. time to get some blue loctite.
Old August 22, 2011, 08:46 AM   #13
oneounceload

For clays and wing shots - no bead is necessary - you look at the targets with both eyes, point the shotgun instinctively with your hands - if your gun fits, the result is success.
Old August 22, 2011, 11:00 AM   #14
zippy13

I've competed with a few NSSA shooters who have purposefully removed their beads. They reasoned: if their sub-conscious wanted to shift focus from the target to the bead, it wouldn't be there.
Old August 22, 2011, 11:51 AM   #15
rhinonewshooter

I shoot with both eyes open, and yes, I rarely use the bead. Mine is white, and I'm not sure if I use it as a frame of reverence for those quick shots, like #8.

I may pull it off and see how I do. I may also get some blue loctite and see if it holds. If heat loosens it though, I've been pretty good at shooting with a frequency to get a pretty hot barrel. There are few things more satisfying than an hour lesson spent mostly shooting clays
Old August 22, 2011, 12:01 PM   #16
zippy13

There are few things more satisfying than an hour lesson spent mostly shooting clays
Smoking your 8th low 8 in a NSSA match is right up there.