The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2011, 10:23 PM   #1
TennJed

confused on adding polishing agent to tumbling media

ok guys I am starting to get everything set up to reload and I am asking a lot of questions and getting some great help so thank!

Another question....I need some help on adding polishing agents to the media....I am using a corn cob bedding from a pet store.

My confusing starts with the fact that the corn cob packaging says it is highly absorbent...wouldn't that mean it just absorbs all the liquid or polish?

First what do you use? NuFinish car wax? mineral Spirits?

If you use something like nufinish can you use any brand car polish or just nufinish? Do you use a lotion type wax and just squirt a cap full in the media? Does it just spread out on its own? Can you use a spray wax to distribute it more evenly.

when using a liquid do you just pour a cap full on the media? Does it just spread out on its own? Should you use a spray bottle to distribute it more evenly?

Thanks
Old June 19, 2011, 10:36 PM   #2
lamarw

I have used nufinish and also Blueboy brass polish (a thick liquid). I just pour some in on top of the brass and media in the tumbler and let it do its job. I would guess it is about a couple of tablespoons full. Caps can vary in size. LOL

Just because it is absorbent does not mean it does not rub aggressively against the brass to brings out a nice shine.
Old June 19, 2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Nosparetime

It doesn't have to be Nufinish but it works good. Any liquid car wax will work. I just pour some in the media and let it run without brass. You may have to break up some clumps. You wouldn't want a clump to get in you brass.

I use Crushed Walnut for really dirty brass with a little mineral spirit added. And then polish in Corn Cob media with car wax in it.
Old June 19, 2011, 10:57 PM   #4
res45

I use the same cob media and NuFinish car polish. For new batches I spread 2 to 3 cap fulls for a large tumbler over the media and let the tumbler run for 15 to 30 min. to mix in with all the media before adding brass.

The first treatment should last for several batches of brass before you need to add more polish,I generally just add 1 cap full as needed till the media becomes to dirty to be affective at polishing the brass after a few hours tumbling. I also add a couple 1" or so wide strips of used dryer sheet to each batch of brass I polish to help remove any dust,dirt or old powder residue form the media,it helps it last longer.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:03 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

DO not pour it on your Brass AND media. Pour it on the media, let it run for an hour and then add brass.

You run the risk of getting it in to the brass, where the media will be and as the "Highly Absorbent" media soaks up, it will clog your shells. You'll notice it particularly in rifle or bottle necked cases.

Let the corn cob absorb it first, add the brass and tumble.

You do not even have to use it, but I like the shiny, almost mirror looking finish, that is why I do it.

After several batches of tumbling, I add a little mineral spirits to the media (to refresh it) and will let that run until absorbed, then a little more wax. Media is cheap and a lot of guys just toss it when it gets dirty.
Old June 20, 2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

Some things are simple and there is no point in complicating matters.
I use walnut media and Dillon polish. Instructions say to put a capful in before a tumbling session. The polish is actually an abrasive that helps the process. A little goes a long way and is not expensive. I don't buy pet supplies from a reloading supply house and normally would not consider looking for reloading supplies in a pet store.
Not saying one cannot be resourceful but where safety is concerned I wouldn't want to put car wax on my cases. Why would you?
When all else confuses you, fall back on the KISS principal.
Old June 20, 2011, 11:37 AM   #7
mikld

Why don't you just try nekkid media first? Corn cob media alone will give your brass a good shine. KISS at first...
Old June 20, 2011, 11:44 AM   #8
4runnerman

I don't buy pet supplies from a reloading supply house and normally would not consider looking for reloading supplies in a pet store

Rifleman 1776--Big mistake. It is the same you are buying at a gun store. I buy Crushed Walnut.25 lb bag for $12.00. Very fine mixture. Never gets caught in flash holes. They have small 8 lb bags,Give it a try once and save the extra cash for reloading splys.
Old June 20, 2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Saltydog235

Quote:
DO not pour it on your Brass AND media. Pour it on the media, let it run for an hour and then add brass.

You run the risk of getting it in to the brass, where the media will be and as the "Highly Absorbent" media soaks up, it will clog your shells. You'll notice it particularly in rifle or bottle necked cases.

Let the corn cob absorb it first, add the brass and tumble.

You do not even have to use it, but I like the shiny, almost mirror looking finish, that is why I do it.

After several batches of tumbling, I add a little mineral spirits to the media (to refresh it) and will let that run until absorbed, then a little more wax. Media is cheap and a lot of guys just toss it when it gets dirty.
This and 2X on the Dillon polish. I've been using the same media for a while now. Ran some rifle brass the other day and it came out shiney and new looking.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Clifford L. Hughes

TennJed:

Before I got the shakes that prevent me from shooting, I vibrated my brass in ground walnut hulls. When it came time to rejuvinate the hulls I added a commercial addative. It has been so long ago that I don't remember the brand. It worked fine as long as I followed instructions. On my first try one cap full was called for, I thought if one is good two must be better. Well, I ended up with frosted cases. I had to dump the walnyt hull and start over.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old June 20, 2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Billy Shears

Quote:
That sounds like reasonable advice and I shouldn't argue with it, but...

I've been pouring the stuff directly on a running tumbler full of media AND brass at the rate of a couple thousand rounds per month, every month, for several years now and have yet to find a single clump of anything in any of the brass I've tumbled so far.

It may be that this is one of those things that intuitively seems like it could, or even should, happen, but for the most part really doesn't happen.

YMMV.
Old June 20, 2011, 04:08 PM   #12
jimbob86

I've never added a thing but used dryer sheets (attracts the crud in the media, then toss the sheets) to my media ...... still using the same media I bought years ago ..... still works, and if it ain't broke .........
Old June 20, 2011, 04:40 PM   #13
LarryFlew

Pet store walnut media, shavings from tripoli polish bar and sometimes auto polish which is usually nufinish but not if I have to run to the garage to get it
Old June 20, 2011, 04:41 PM   #14
4runnerman

Jimbo--same media as a few years ago???..do you not shoot much?. Just wondering. I go through a 25 lb bag once every 2 months. I sell brass on the side ,but even my own shooting would amout to much more than that.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:14 PM   #15
poline

NuFinish car wax and mineral Spirits this is what I use with crushed walnut,
this works great! One cap Nufinish and half cap of mineral spirits.
I used corn cob once and end up picking it out of every .223 shell.

Oh almost forgot add the two to the crushed walnut and let it mix for twenty mins before you add the brass this keeps it from stricking to the inside of the shell.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:23 PM   #16
Macantic

When I used to reload i would put a tube of "semichrome" polish in the media.It made the brass look brand new.
Old June 20, 2011, 06:14 PM   #17
Slamfire

I recently poured meguiars car wax into my walnut tumbling media and the brass really looked great.

From the feel of the case I could feel that wax was on the surface.

Stuff sized nicely and looks good in the ammo box. I believe the car wax on the surface of the brass will protect it from tarnishing.
Old June 20, 2011, 06:25 PM   #18
CrustyFN

Quote:
Jimbo--same media as a few years ago???..do you not shoot much?. Just wondering. I go through a 25 lb bag once every 2 months. I sell brass on the side ,but even my own shooting would amout to much more than that.
It must be the brass you sell on the side. Using Nu Finish and dryer sheets I can get at least 10,000 cases before I have to change the media in my tumbler. A 7 pound bag of walnut from the pet store will last me a few years. I just bought a 40 pound bag of 14/20 corn cob and figure that will last me the rest of my life.
Old June 20, 2011, 06:54 PM   #19
jepp2

I mix NuFinish and OMS (odorless mineral spirits) about 50/50 in one of the squeeze squirt bottles like ketchup and mustard used to be on the table top in restaurants. I find it cleans better and mixes MUCH quicker with the media than just adding the straight NuFinish.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:00 PM   #20
B-RAD

USED dryer sheets are the key to anything dealing with a tumbler and corn cob or walnut media...
Old June 20, 2011, 07:09 PM   #21
jimbob86

Quote:
No, I don't shoot enough, but I am curious:

How, other than the fact it is dirty (which is cured w/ the used dryer sheets) would you tell if it was "used up"? I would think that if you did not gum it all up with waxes and such, it would pretty much last forever, would it not? The stuff is still vibrating against the cases the same as it was when it was new, no?
Old June 20, 2011, 07:54 PM   #22
lamarw

I can not and will not argue with the advise of not mixing the brass cleaning compound directly with the media and brass. After hearing the caution not to do so, it sounds logical.

I will say you should always check your brass before placing it in your press. I have had both walnut and corn cob media (without any additive brass cleaner) clog inside .380 brass.

So, thanks to those who corrected me. I am always willing to listen and learn.
Old June 20, 2011, 08:46 PM   #23
4runnerman

Hello Jimbo.I can usually tell when it's done for by how long it takes to clean the brass.I can tumble field brass in about 4 hrs to a better than new shine.I notice after a while that it takes 6 hrs or more to do the same job. I tumble in bulk so i dont have the time to spend waiting. I will try the downy shhets once to, I keep hearing about ti working so good.

I just sold 2000 rounds of 223,1000 rounds of 45 ACP and now he wants 3000 rounds of 9MM and 3000 rounds of 40 SW and most of my rifle brass too. Im back logged on brass and my tumbler is running 24/7 in the garage.
I have about 200 lbs of brass to sort and tumble yet.

Last edited by 4runnerman; June 20, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old June 20, 2011, 08:51 PM   #24
Uncle Buck

One of the reasons I use car wax (NuFinish) is because I feel the rounds go through my dies a lot easier. Just my opinion.
Old June 20, 2011, 09:00 PM   #25
jimbob86

Quote:
4 hrs to a better than new shine.I notice after a while that it takes 6 hrs or more to do the same job.
Never been an issue for me- I just leave it run overnight......... start it at bedtime and shut it off at breakfast. Brass has always looked new when done.