The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 8, 2006, 09:39 AM   #1
rezmedic54

Question

OK folks heres goes I have a Yugo Mauser with a new stock. The owner brought it to me cause it shoots everywhere but the same place. He fitted a Scope to it with one of those that fit over the rings. As of now this is what I have found wrong the ring mounts had some garbage in them so they would not squeeze down tight to the rings ( cleaned out the junk) He said he free floated the Barrel ( Barrel was tight to the stock the full length ) I have taken out all the old bedding and now the barrel is free floating all the way back to the chamber. The bore is great lands and grooves are like new. Can anybody here think of anything else I can do. I will test it out in the next day or two. If you have any other things I need to check let me know . Thanks , Kurt
Old February 8, 2006, 10:11 AM   #2
DWARREN123

Does the bolt match up with the other numbered parts, how about the chamber? Have you fired to see if it could be the owner? Check the muzzle, if any damage or wear it could cause this.
Just some thoughts.
Old February 8, 2006, 12:51 PM   #3
rezmedic54

Question

Everything looks good , Headspace is good , Bolt matches up, Crown is good with no wear. Lands and grooves at both ends of the barrel are good no groges or scratches that I can find. Hopefully I'll shoot this rifle this afternoon if not it will have to wait till this weekend. I will let you know how it turns out cause I am stumped if it doesn't fix it. Then mu next guess will be to replace the barrel. Thanks for you advice. Kurt
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old February 8, 2006, 05:43 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

check the actions screw

I would check the action screws and make sure they are torqued down and I would also check to see if the barrel moves on you when you tighten each one of them down. This would indicate a high spot with the guy's bedding which isn't that uncommon. This is one of the first things I check after I check the scope rings and base. I have had quite a few come in that the bedding just wasn't right on them.

I would also check to see if the bolt is hitting the stock. Make sure the slot is cut so the bolt goes down without any interference. I think you pretty much have the rest of it under control.
Old February 8, 2006, 07:18 PM   #5
DWARREN123

Keep us informed, may help someone else.
Old February 9, 2006, 09:14 AM   #6
rezmedic54

Question

I have check everything I can think of and did find that the screws have reset the barrel deeper into the stock needed to shorten the rear screw by a few threads in order to get the bolt not to hang up. Well am going to try to go out and shoot the rifle late this afternoon as I have to watch my grandkids today. Be Safe Out There Kurt
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

Old February 9, 2006, 01:04 PM   #7
cntryboy1289

I think you found it

Seems to me that one of the answers is the stock needs to be bedded with a pillar for the rear screw to maintain the receiver where it needs to be. I would also suspect that with the loose screw, the receiver moves back and forth one you as well.
Old February 10, 2006, 10:49 AM   #8
rezmedic54

Question

Well Country boy you where right never even thought to look at the rear screw. Did yesterday and found a piece of wood missing and the hole slightly crushed; Apparently when they relieved the stock to install the Timney trigger it made the support very narrow. I ordered some pillars for them this morning from Brownell's. Thanks for all your help made finding that problem so much easier. Thanks Again, Kurt
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

Old February 10, 2006, 02:20 PM   #9
cntryboy1289

Glad upi found it

I get them all the time with that part of the stock cracked or broken just like the one you have. I usually end up using acraglass to fix the stock at the same time I am putting in my pillars.

One tip for you, instead of buying pillars all the time, simply use your dial calipers and measure the distance from the top of the floor plate to the bottom of the receiver with the screw tight, Then take a piece of 3/8" black iron pipe nipple and cut it down to fit. You may need to drill it out slightly, but that shouldn't be a problem. I then chuck it my lathe and cut grooves in it or you can use a drill press or drill motor and do the same thing with a file. Then just simply use it instead of the store bought pillar. You can use bigger nipples if you need to or smaller as well. I make up my own for any rifle and they work just as well as the ones you pay twice as much for.

Hope this helps out! I used to buy everything I needed as well. Years ago I worked for a smith that never bought anything unless he just couldn't make it on his own. After working for him, I do the same thing now a days and make more money.
Old February 12, 2006, 05:37 AM   #10
rezmedic54

Question

Never thought of useing pipe. If I get any more like this you can bet I will buy a piece of pipe. I have only been doing this about 2 years so your help was greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all of it. I will also glass it all in after I install the pillars. Thanks again, Kurt Be Safe Out There
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

Old February 23, 2006, 09:06 AM   #11
rezmedic54

Question

OK here's an update on that Yugo. Well the scope mount would not stay tight. Well removed it and went to see if that was all well mind you never really looked much over on this rifle. Anyway without scope at 30 yards was still all over the place. Ran some bore cleaner down the darn thing and low and behold half way from the chamber all lands and grooves are all wiped out.Called the owner and told him this he said he had checked and there was nothing wrong with the barrel. So was the last thing I would have checked. I have never seen a barrel this bad before. Wish I had a band saw so I could cut this barrel in half to show him. Ordered a new barrel for the thing.If you look down the barrel it looks pretty good till you start cutting it up so far I have taken 4 inches off the thing and still no lands or grooves to be found. Any way thanks guys for all your help in figuring out this night mare of a rifle.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.