The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2005, 10:11 AM   #26
sindiesel666

shellholder with retaining wire

how to feed the wire in the ram - go from inside out!!

and then spin it around

secure it in place, it'll snap in by itself

slide the shellholder in

My press is a turret lee, but it probably applies to your Challenger as well

Good luck....
Old February 9, 2005, 01:28 AM   #27
Dgremlin

I get it now. Thanks guys.
Old May 3, 2008, 03:24 PM   #28
rblum100

Lee Single Stage Anniversary Press

I have used Lee equipment for 15 years. I woudn't choose another single stage press. I reload 100-200 rounds at a time. 30-06, 8x57mm, and 300 Win Mag. The press is more than adequate to resize brass and seat bullets. The case length trimmer is an elegant design. For a few dollars it does the job as easily as a much more expensive set of tools from RCBS and others. The scale is another great idea. What a great idea. No sense spending a bucketfull of money on an over-engineered scale when the Lee will do the job!. I don't think that anyone can do better than using a Lee with Neck/Collet resizer and the crimper die.

I finally wore out a part of the press. Lee replaced it FREE after 15 years. These folks are the real deal and their equipment second to none.

More expensive does not equal better. Lee Precision is great.
Old May 3, 2008, 03:44 PM   #29
wncchester

Thousands of happy customers started with the Lee Anniversary kit with it's aluminum alloy "Challenger" press. IF you keep the lever bolt tight you are unlikely to need anything else. Let the bolt get loose, put a lot of pressure on it and it's prone to crack!

I have a (Lyman) turret and rarely use it, it looks good and works fine but, with my methods, I never found it to be any faster or easier to use than my single stage and it definately has more spring due to the moveable turret.

I'd swap my RockChucker 2 for a new Lee "Classic Cast" press in a minute! Lee's primer catcher works, the lever is adjustable and I suspect it's even stronger than the RC 2. Plus it's all made in the US, not in China. IF you ever decide you want more strength than the Challenger get the Classic Cast but keep the Challenger for lighter work.

We never get more than we pay for but with a lot of reloading tool brands we often get 20-30% less!
Old May 3, 2008, 04:10 PM   #30
CrustyFN

Quote:
Lee turret with autoindex has small nylon/plastic parts that frequently break and sometimes require frequent adjusting to work properly, so it can be bothersome for some folks to fiddle with it all the time.
That's why I suggested for starting out to get just a manual index, and maybe later go ahead and get a fully progressive press, instead turret altogether.
Just my opinion but I think most of the indexing problems were new users that didn't use the press correctly. If you don't short stroke the press and raise the ram a few inches before you try to change the turret you should have no problems. I have had a classic turret for two years and have loaded thousands of rounds without any problems. Once the turret is adjusted you can change calibers and the alignment will still be good. I load a few calibers and have had to change turrets many times and still no ratchet or indexing problems. It has been a great press for me and I would recommend it to anybody.
Rusty

Old May 3, 2008, 04:26 PM   #31
snuffy

Wow, 3+ year old thread brought back to life! In post #15 I said my then new challenger was just what I wanted, it still is! I just didn't realize I've had it for 3 years! The current use is for swaging primer crimps from the 1K lake city .223 brass I've been processing. Using the RCBS swager though, requires a ring under the ejection hood, the lee ram is taller in the all-the-way-down position.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 3, 2008, 04:57 PM   #32
bcline

I recently bought the Lee Pro 1000 progressive press for the .40 cal. I havnt had any problems so far. Any I have had have been very much self induced. If I had it to do again though I would get the 4-hole turret. Since I'm new to reloading I am not confident in the progressive press. i.e. will it do the same operation everytime? So far it has, though I did have one time where it did not prime the shell and I don't know what happened there. I really only load one shell at a time just so I can watch the operation. Eventually I'm sure I'll use it properly. I did load my first 50 rds. normally and all went well. I recently loaded 150 rds. can't wait to shoot them. I will admit the scales take some getting used to. Bill