The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 17, 2011, 10:42 AM   #301
max it

Jeff22's comments, s/be dble sticky~

Guys, and Gals;

with 12 pages of stuff in this thread I havent time or inclination to go over all of it to see if the points Jeff22 makes are as well thought out elsewhere.

so READ THIS ONE.

And much obliged to Jeff22

Max

Last edited by max it; January 17, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old January 18, 2011, 04:41 PM   #302
hey.moe

First IDPA Match

I just recently took up the sport of shooting for the first time (not counting military training and qualification eons ago). Bought my first gun a few months ago, a semi-automatic pistol, and began with target practice at a couple of local ranges. I finally decided I was ready to try something more challenging, so I screwed up my courage and tried my first IDPA match last Sunday.

I told the match director it was my first match. He put me in a squad with a bunch of experienced shooters and a safety officer who walked me step by step through each stage as I shot. I treated it as an instructional session and pretty much ignored the clock. Here's what I learned:

1. It's a very social sport. I got help, advice, and encouragement from everyone I talked to. That was the most enjoyable part of the whole experience.

2. No matter how much you read about, talk about, or watch someone else do something, it doesn't fall into place until you do it yourself for real.

3. If you do something wrong in practice you'll do it wrong when the beeper goes off.

4. I had a great time and I'm looking forward to the next opportunity.

-Stan-
Old March 7, 2011, 08:36 PM   #303
Spats McGee
Staff

First IDPA Classifier

I shot my first IDPA Classifier on Sunday. Here's what I learned:

1) It's harder than it looks. No matter how many times I've run through the moves in my head, well, the rehearsals in my head are smoother and faster than the real thing.

2) The folks at the classifier were really great. I told them that it was my first competitive shoot, and they were very generous with tips and information.

3) It was fantastic fun!
Old March 9, 2011, 03:37 PM   #304
Gryff

Quote:
I shot my first IDPA Classifier on Sunday. Here's what I learned:

1) It's harder than it looks. No matter how many times I've run through the moves in my head, well, the rehearsals in my head are smoother and faster than the real thing.
You're right, but it also gets easier. The more you compete, the less you will find yourself thinking about the simpler mechanics like drawing from the holster, reloading, or shooting around the barricade. That's a nice point to get to, because it allows you to focus more on good sight alignment and good trigger press.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:24 PM   #305
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm looking forward to it getting easier, too! It was my first time in any sort of competitive shooting (aside from "how many didja kill?"), and I had a fantastic time. I didn't shoot nearly as well as I'd hoped, but that's OK. I learned a lot, and I successfully avoided mishaps.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:29 PM   #306
Danny Creasy

Back to Basics

I know this particular forum is supposed to be for combat pistol competitions but a shooting match is a shooting match to some extent and after shooting this with an Anschutz, that with a Voelker 541-T, and those with a Kimber NY, I decided to campaign this year across the board with my oldest CZ American. It is an exceptionally accurate rifle. It has been my designated CMP Sporter Rifle for the past few years with a fixed 6 power Sightron scope on board. With the club's diverse mix of sporter matches facing us this year (silhouette, rapidfire silhouette, 3P sporter, sporter benchrest, and long range .22 varmint), I thought it best to exchange the Sightron for the more versatile 6-18X44 Swift Premier scope that I had on it originally (2007 file pic below). It's looking like this may be a good move.

Last Sunday, with the scope dialed to 18 and the factory trigger (3 lbs 2 oz) feeling surprisingly fine, I was the first shooter to ever clean the 50/25 rack in our local 50 yard offhand silhouette match (I don't thing I will be the last with the way this bunch is shooting so early in the year). 25 targets at 50 yards with 30 rounds in 10 minutes. I had one round left at the end. I must have left it all on the field with the scoped rifle because I surely didn't do the CZ Special justice in the open sighted class (only left 3 critters standing last month in O Class). I didn't even knock all or the turkeys and pigs down with the long skinny rifle. If it were easy, it wouldn't be fun.

Here is my match report from the club board:

This is the 4th anniversary of the 50/25 Match (earlier known as the 50/50 Match). In spite of a one day postponement and a cold overcast day, we had 15 shooters with most shooting in multiple classes. With the anniversary and all, it was quite appropriate that someone cleaned the rack today. This was the first zero score posted in the match's present guise. Three ladies posted their personal best scores ever and regular stalwarts; Willie, Jay, Randy, Rex, and Dwight were at the top of their games as well.

This match has an eight and a half pound ceiling for the combined weight of the rifle and its sights. I weighed in everyone today to insure compliance.

Place, score (silos left standing by P Dogs hit), shooter, rifle, scope (if applicable), ammunition, and rifle's weight.

Telescopically Sighted Class

1st 0X1, Danny Creasy, CZ 452 American, Swift 6-18X44, CMP Aguila White Box, 7 lbs 2.4 ozs

2nd 2X1, Rex Medlin, Savage Anschutz 54, Leupold EFR 6.5-20, Wolf MT, 7 lbs 14 ozs

2nd 2X1, Dwight Pilkilton, Ruger 10-22 (Custom built by Dwight with a little help from Que), Weaver V-16, CCI Std Vel, 7 lbs 7 ozs

3rd 6X1, Randy King, Marlin 795, Simmons 3-9, Wolf MT, 4 lbs 15 ozs

3rd 6X1, Paul Enlow, CZ 452 American (Tribal), Mueller APV 4.5-14, CCI MiniMag, 7 lbs 5.0 ozs

4th 6X0, Jay Holman, CZ 452 American (Tribal), Nikon 2-7 ProStaff, CMP Aguila White Box, 6 lbs 15.2 ozs

5th 8X1, Lana Horton, CZ American (16.5" barrel), Sightron 3-9, Wolf MT, 6 lbs 9 ozs

5th 8X1, Chelsea Torbert, Ruger 10-22 (Dwight put one sweet little 10-22 together for his lady) , Weaver RV-7, CCI Std Vel, 6 lbs 2.0 ozs

6th 10X1, Sheree Torbert, Ruger 10/22, Weaver RV-7, CCI Std Vel, 6 lbs 2 ozs

7th 11X1, Joe Caldwell, CZ 452 American, Bushnell 4-12, Fed 714, 7 lbs 3.0 ozs

8th 12X1, Ricky King, Savage Mk II, Shooters Edge 6-18, Wolf MT, 7 lbs 6 ozs

9th 18X1, Jacob Butler, Marlin 60, All Pro 3-9, Fed Auto Match, 6 lbs 5 ozs

10th 18X0, Jim Torbert, Ruger 10-22, Weaver V-16, CCI Std Vel, 7 lbs 7 ozs

10th 18X0, Mark Butler, Marlin 60, All Pro 3-9, Fed Auto Match, 6 lbs 5 ozs

Open Sighted Class

1st 6X1, Willie Rhodes, CZ Trainer, CCI Blazer, 6 lbs 6.2 ozs

2nd 8X1, Jay Holman, CZ 452 FS, CMP Aguila White Box, 6 lbs 4 ozs

2nd 8X1, Ricky King, Savage Mk II, Fed 510, 5 lbs 15.2 ozs

3rd 11X1, Randy King, Marlin 60, Federal Lightning, 5 lbs 5 ozs

3rd 11X1, Danny Creasy, CZ 452 Special, CMP Aguila White Box, 6 lbs 4.6 ozs

4th 17X1, Paul Enlow, Henry Lever Action, CCI MiniMags, 5 lbs 6.2 ozs

5th 18X0, Joe Caldwell, Ruger 10-22 (SK stock), CCI Std Vel, 5 lbs 5.8 ozs

6th 20X0, Jacob Butler, Romanian Trainer, Fed Auto Match, 5 lbs 15 ozs

Peep Sighted Class

1st 4X1, Jay Holman, CZ 452 Trainer, Williams Sight, CMP Aguila White Box, 6 lbs 7 ozs

2nd 5X1, Randy King, Marlin 60, Tech Sight, Federal Lightning, 5 lbs 5 ozs

3rd 11X1, Ricky King, Savage Mk II, Williams Sight, Fed 510, 6 lbs 3.4 ozs

4th 13X1, Willie Rhodes, Mossberg U.S. 44, Not sure what make the sight is, CCI Blazer, 7 lbs 14.6 ozs

Last edited by Danny Creasy; March 9, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old June 19, 2011, 07:05 PM   #307
Jeff22

suggestions for new shooters

I've shot in 1 IDPA classifier match, 2 USPSA special classifier matches, and a half dozen club level matches since the middle of May. A couple things I've noticed:

(1.) Practice strong hand only and weak hand only shooting. You may not ever need those skills in a defensive situation, but you almost certainly will need them when shooting in IDPA or IPSC/USPSA matches.

(2.) Learn how to recognize and clear malfunctions.

(3.) If you shoot on a range that is sandy, brush your magazines out after each stage.

(4.) You don't need a "death grip" on your handgun, even when shooting .357 mag or .45 ACP. You just need a firm grip. If you grip too tightly, it makes it difficult for you to work the trigger finger independently, and you'll bash or jerk the trigger as a result. A firm and consistant grip is what you want.

(5.) Consider getting active hearing protectors, the kind that muffle loud sounds and amplify quieter sounds. They are of great utility in helping you hear range commands, whether you're at a match or attending some kind of shooting class. Consider getting a "low profile" design that properly allows you to mount a rifle with the hearing protectors on.

(6.) If you wear ear plugs and hearing protectors BOTH, you will have problems hearing range commands and may be unsafe as a result. See #5 above.

(7.) Buy a good quality holster / mag pouch / belt combination. Buy cheap and buy twice. . . .

(8.) Buy a good quality bag to carry your stuff to the range in. It doesn't have to be one of the deluxe models with all the different compartments or integral gun cases or all that stuff, but it needs to be heavy duty, with heavy duty zippers and a good carrying strap.

(9.) If you reload your own ammunition, and you're new to the process of reloading, shoot generic factory ammo in matches and at training classes until you are absolutely certain that the quality control on your own loaded ammo is up to speed. I've seen LOTS of malfunctions this last month that were caused by ammo that wasn't resized or taper-crimped properly.
Old June 20, 2011, 11:49 AM   #308
darkgael

jes' call me lefty

I broke my right wrist on Memorial Day weekend.
Last match....shooting left handed was ugly.
Pete
Old June 20, 2011, 03:29 PM   #309
71Eagle

Last Match - Texas Mini-State Shoot

It can be a "bit trying" shooting skeet in 25mph wind and 100+ degree temperature with .28 and .410. But it was still fun
Old June 20, 2011, 06:05 PM   #310
MLeake

What I've learned so far is that at competitions where Power Factor does not come into play (GSSF; all but two IDPA divisions), nobody shoots .45acp. Too much loss of speed and time compared to smaller calibers.

I've seen some .40's, but 9mm rules when PF isn't a player.
Old July 3, 2011, 12:54 PM   #311
Glenn E. Meyer

It's too hot in TX! Try to get the young guys to tape by being a pitiful old man and whining. Seriously, hydrate to the max.

Otherwise, remember how many rounds each target gets in an IDPA match.

Also, army rifle instructors can shoot a carbine at a speed beyond my comprehension. They shoot with us.
Old July 4, 2011, 12:11 PM   #312
Willie Lowman

Just because the mags worked in the gun you used to have...

Just because the mags were made by Mec-Gar who makes the best aftermarket mags...

Don't expect them to work in the gun you just bought.
Old July 9, 2011, 09:10 AM   #313
Jeff22

more suggestions for new shooters

(1.) If you're shooting a match, wear real shoes or boots. Not crocs and not sandals and not flip-flops! You may be moving over un-even ground, you may appreciate shoes with proper insole support and ankle support, and shoes or boots will protect your feet in case bullet fragments bounce back off a steel plate or you drop a "pepper popper" steel target on your foot. Last week I saw a guy wearing crocs drop a pepper popper on his foot while we were tearing down after the match. By a miracle, he escaped injury . . .

(2.) If moving laterally from shooting box to shooting box to engage different arrays of targets KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER AND WATCH YOUR MUZZLE!! For right handed shooters, moving left to right is easy and moving right to left is awkward. For left handed shooters, the reverse is true, as far as maintaining a safe muzzle direction goes. Be mindful of what you're doing and remember that safety takes precedence over speed.

(3.) If the stage involves opening a door or opening a window or manipulating some kind of object in some way, be mindful of where your muzzle is. Don't sweep yourself with the muzzle when opening the door or going through the door. I've never seen anybody shoot themselves, but I've seen guys get match DQs from that and I've almost done it myself a few times over the year. Safety before speed.

(4.) If you're shooting in hot weather, be sure to hydrate! This has been mentioned in other places in this discussion and bears repeating. Pre-hydrate before you get to the range and keep hydrated once you get there. Gatorade works although it does have a high sugar content. You could dilute it a little bit or use the powder kind and mix it a little weak. I usually use Vitalyte (used to be called "Gookinade" [named after the guy who invented it] and then "Hydrolite") but I just read some info on Cera Sport that would suggest that might be a viable alternative. I know many ranges don't have modern restroom facilities and that is an issue for female shooters. Still, you have to be hydrated . . . http://www.ceraproductsinc.com/produ...cerasport.html or www.vitalyte.com
(5.) If engaging multiple targets with only one hand, if you go right to left when shooting with the right hand, and left to right when shooting with the left hand, you may have somewhat better results. It depends on the shooter. I find it works best for me to shoot with a nearly locked elbow when firing one handed.

(6.) When shooting in the summer, if you're wearing a T-shirt on the range, get one long enough so that it stays tucked in when you are working out of the holster. Duluth Trading makes a product they call a long tailed T that's a T-shirt 3 inches longer than usual, so it stays tucked in. (The intent was to avoid the horror of "plumber's butt") Some are all cotton and some are a cotton/cool max blend. Highly recommended. www.duluthtrading.com
Old July 9, 2011, 11:56 AM   #314
Gryff

Quote:
If moving laterally from shooting box to shooting box to engage different arrays of targets...WATCH YOUR MUZZLE!!
A mindset to develop that simplifies things is to always keep your muzzle indexed on the targets. That way, whether you are moving sideways or up-range (backwards), you muzzle is oriented in a safe direction.
Old July 20, 2011, 11:27 AM   #315
carpfisher

Check the screws on your sights before the match begins. The rr sight on my Mosy 42m fell off duirng off hand. It is quite interestng to sight back in , in off hand!
Old July 20, 2011, 12:39 PM   #316
Gryff

Quote:
Check the screws on your sights before the match begins. The rr sight on my Mosy 42m fell off duirng off hand. It is quite interestng to sight back in , in off hand!
Two extensions of that would be:

1) Glock shooters need to check the screw for their front sight (inside the slide). These work themselves loose over time.

2) Shooters with fiber optic front sights need to check the FO rod for cracks or breaks. It is quite unsettling to be acquiring your sights during a stage and find that your colorful front sight dot isn't there any more.
Old July 22, 2011, 08:55 AM   #317
SauerGrapes

I learned a bunch of things while shooting my first USPSA match.

#1- I'm way to slow.......lol.
#2- Bring a folding chair. Tired legs after standing for 5-6 hrs.
#3- bring food that's easier to eat on the fly.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old August 1, 2011, 05:24 PM   #318
RickB

That you can't miss fast enough to win. I generally finish near the top at our local IDPA matches, and also often compete for fewest points dropped, but almost always am beaten by someone, or some four, who shoot faster and drop more points. I decided to shoot faster, but didn't really consider how just pulling the trigger faster and swinging the gun faster weren't the only components to changing speed. I had misses on five of the seven stages, and finished fourth Sharpshooter. I dropped almost as many points on each of five stages as I usually drop in an entire match.
Old August 21, 2011, 10:06 AM   #319
Glenn E. Meyer

Practice, haven't shot in awhile and my sight picture was off and I missed something easy. Bah.

Also, it is still too darn hot in TX. Some fellows started to crash in the heat. Hydrate!
Old August 21, 2011, 08:11 PM   #320
Jesse Tischauser

I had to activate a no shoot Texas Star with a rope at the beginning of a stage. I failed to pull hard enough trying to do it quick and get to the shooting. I dropped the rope and then picked up my shotgun only to notice the star wasn't spinning. I them had to regrip the rope and pull it again. It was only a 1-2 second mistake but it caused me to rush the rest of the stage and then forget to reload when I had originally planned and I hit a no shoot in my haste.

Lesson learned! Give activators their respect.
Old August 24, 2011, 10:37 PM   #321
Glockgrabber

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER shoot 1911's against an old dude who has been shooting them since he was 12......especially when you only have been shooting your's for a year
Old September 6, 2011, 05:34 PM   #322
max it

active hearing protectors?

(5.) Consider getting active hearing protectors, the kind that muffle loud sounds and amplify quieter sounds. They are of great utility in helping you hear range commands, whether you're at a match or attending some kind of shooting class. Consider getting a "low profile" design that properly allows you to mount a rifle with the hearing protectors on.
Quoted from op
question? does my slim muffs with batteries to increase / decrease sounds qualify as active hearing protectors?
i dont want to double up.

much obliged,

Max
Old September 12, 2011, 12:13 AM   #323
Jesse Tischauser

If you have the opportunity to go prone to shoot long range targets with your rifle always do it no matter how easy the targets may appear.
Old September 12, 2011, 10:15 AM   #324
SauerGrapes

greater appreciation for the guys running the matches

We had an informal "action match" at our club yesterday. 4 of us started setting up at 7AM. Match started at 10AM and we finished at 3PM.
We had 16 guys new to USPSA type shooting. {I'm pretty new myself} That left the 4 of us to score and run the new shooters.
My first time keeping score and running the timer. Most of the new guys didn't get the concept of, help tape targets.

Wow, was I tired at the end! My hat's off to ROs at the sanctioned matches. It's a lot of work!

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old September 15, 2011, 01:37 AM   #325
Willie Lowman

Don't forget your saftey glasses perhaps a cup.

When shooting steel or pins bullet fragments or sometimes entire bullets may come back at you.

While standing around waiting for my turn to shoot the carbine match, little bits of lead and copper went whizzing past myself and the folks I was talking to.

When I was shooting the match I had a 180 grain .40 bullet come right back at me after I shot a bowling pin. It hit a very sensitive area. I managed to finish the course of fire but I spent a good 20 seconds doubled over and swearing loudly. Ricochets can hit the best of us in the worst of places.