The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 25, 2008, 08:11 PM   #1
UltraTacky

House Design

There is a good possibility that we may be building a house in the near future. Does anyone know a source of house plans (a website preferably) for folks who want to defend themselves against an intruder? I'm looking for something that doesn't scream "Paranoid Gunner Lives Here" nor be an armed fortress to stand off police, just a good layout for home defense and to deter burglars.
Old April 26, 2008, 04:41 AM   #2
tc556guy

Are you thinking specifically about constructing a safe room in the house or the overall design? There are going to be a lot of elements to consider as to the overall construction. I have heard of no one who specializes in whole-house designs specific to home defense.
Old April 26, 2008, 08:09 AM   #3
UltraTacky

I've seen plans for safe rooms but that's not what I had in mind. I'm also familiar with the concepts of low, thorny shrubs, no glass at entry doors, etc. I was thinking of overall layout. For instance, placing the master bedroom between the likely entry points and the other bedrooms; channeling intruders into routes favorable to the defender, exit points, etc..
Old April 26, 2008, 08:53 AM   #4
tc556guy

Well, i would go for hitting specific security elements rather than an over all design. Any design will work to your tactical favor, as long as you plan it out ahead of time. After all, it is your home turf, literally. Items like having a master light control in your master bedroom, to control house lighting from a central location, would be nice. Built-in gun storage areas in each room....maybe even to the point of sheetrocking a long gun behind a specific wall so that in an emergency the homeowner only has to smash the sheetrock to get at it ( that was covered on another board a while ago )....Top shelf locks and security components are invisible upon a casual inspection but still present. Open interior designs to help with visual tracking and fields of fire vs a compartmentalized room design can work either way, depending on the specific scenario you can come up with.
Old April 26, 2008, 11:01 PM   #5
bufordtjustice

I think the late Jeff Cooper built or modified his house with gun fighting in mind. I would do a little research and see what you dig up on him. I recall he did things like place small windows that he could observe the front door of his house from another room before answering it. He also put a lockable gate or some such at the door of his bedroom to slow down intruders, set up a central hallway he could cover from one point, etc. Maybe you could get some pointers from him.
Old April 27, 2008, 11:30 AM   #6
bigghoss

I saw Jeff Cooper's gate on American Shooter once. he had a hallway and on the outter end was the gate and a rod that ran the length of the hall that had to be operated from the other( inner) end. the idea being nobody could open the gate without breaking it wich would wake him up. and he said "if I'm awake I'm OK" talk about waking the sleeping (shooting) giant!
Old April 27, 2008, 12:06 PM   #7
dipper

house

Ultra,
My wife and I are building soon and I like you, have thought about home defense in choosing our plans.
Alot of what a person can do is based on common sense.
For instance as was mentioned, no glass entrance doors like sliding doors---high quality steel doors with a little window or a peep hole.
We won't be using the full length widows that seem to be so popular now---they're huge and not necessary for a variety of reasons.
I'll have plenty of light in the house but the widows will not give easy access.
We're planning a Basement and windows will be block glass--let in light but offer way more protection than standard glass.
Low shrubbery and landscaping for sure and our home will sit up on the foundation--that is --many homes are built on slabs or crawl spaces that are right on the ground ---our windows will be out of reach without a ladder from the exterior of the house.
Inside, we have thought about the lay out too.
Front door will enter into a vestibule area and not into the main house---that area will have a door too so an intruder would have to get past the front door and then another door to get access to the house.
The stairs for upstairs access in most modern homes seems to be right near the front door in many plans we looked at--if an intruder gains access to your home, he could slip upstairs undetected if you are sleeping downstairs.
Master Bedroom will be the safe room---and built as such with a proper door and reinforced door jamb and wall---telephone of course and cell phone always kept on nightstand next to bed along with various firearms.
Outside lighting is important too and we plan on motion sensitive lights all around the house--they're pretty common.
Good locks and dead bolts.
Lastly, I own and love Rottweilers and I make sure everyone knows it---you can't believe how many people will mess with a person but not with a dog---MOST people will avoid Rotties at all costs--well, most intruders that is--to much work and risk to fight 2 Rotties well over 100 lbs.--easier to move on---and I have highly visible signs stating "Beware of Dogs" in different locations on the property---people tend to give my property a WIDE birth unless invited.
ANY dog that barks is a good early warning system---they can hear and smell someone WAY before you'll ever know they are around--my dogs can wake the dead at 3 AM if they think they hear something outside.
Just some common sense and maybe sacrifice a few design elements and you can have a pretty safe home.

DIPPER
Old April 27, 2008, 12:27 PM   #8
OJ

You might be interested in Jeff Cooper's chapter on "NOTES ON TACTICAL RESIDENTIAL ARCHITECTURE" on page 47 of the book "TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH". I think it provides just the answers you're looking for.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old April 27, 2008, 12:35 PM   #9
vox rationis

In addition to the other measures (security landscaping, alarm, trained fighting poodles, etc) how about adding some nice automatic security shutters?
Old April 27, 2008, 02:16 PM   #10
kgpcr

I my opinion its paranoid to build a house with defense in mind. a safe room yes thats cool but the rest if paranoia
Smith M&P 40
Old April 27, 2008, 02:22 PM   #11
OJ

I've followed some of his suggestions. The most important to me - at least - in view of the apparent increase in "home invasions" here - is that we NEVER answer the front door directly. Our house is two level and the front entrance is at the mid point between levels and I had a bay window installed on the left side of the front door. We ALWAYS answer the doorbell at the window and, if it's someone we know, it's easy to let them in. Otherwise, all conversation takes place through the window to my wife's left.

Salesmen (and anyone "casing" the house) get discouraged soon - particularly when told "Speak up - I can't hear you over the dogs barking".

Being 1/2 story up and on the left side of the person at the door - in addition to the brick wall - there's pretty good protection form anyone who might intend to shoot us with our having the good cover. Besides, I think the obvious "welcoming committee" impresses most visitors at the door.

"Little" sis (brindle) on the right weighs only 199# and big bro (fawn) is 202#.

YMMV

Old April 27, 2008, 02:22 PM   #12
model70fan

Paranoid or Prepared???
Old April 27, 2008, 02:39 PM   #13
OJ

Quote:
model70fan

Paranoid or Prepared???

Armed citizens, keeping America free from tyranny since 1776
My feelings exactly - being a Boy Scout (not easy in the countryside where we lived - had to be a Lone Scout and do all by mail) "BE PREPARED". Hardly a day goes by here that there isn't at least one report of someone forcing thier way into a house when the resident answers the door in "condition white". The luckiest ones get away with just being robbed - most get injured or even killed.

This is the most sensitive animal to what's going on around him that I've ever seen - he's in "condition yellow" even in his sleep.

If you're not aware of the fact there are those who are out to get you (?paranoid?), you just don't understand how things really are in today's world.

And yes - One of these is with me always except the minute or two I'm in the shower - yes, I carry at home (and everywhere else) and one resides by my bedside.

My feeling is that, if your house is designed with safety in mind and it is very difficult to break into, any consideration of having a "safe room" is secondary and a long ways behind.

Last edited by OJ; April 27, 2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old April 27, 2008, 02:43 PM   #14
dipper

kgpcr,
I guess you haven't been keeping abreast of the terrible things that have been happening across the country--much doesn't make the news though.
Home invasions are up and a grandmother in my area recently shot an intruder that was breaking in her kitchen door while her two young grandchildren were screaming behind her.
My cousins wife was kidnapped out of their home and rapped--she'll never be the same.
A neighbor not 200 yards from me was beaten and robbed in his living room.
Two days ago we had a elderly couple that was delivering "meals on wheels" shot---the woman died and the husband is in critical condition in the hospital as I type this---the person that they were delivering the meal to was shot and killed also.
I could go on and NO, I DON'T LIVE IN A WAR ZONE --I live in a city that was deemed one of the most livable nicest cities in the USA.
It has nothing to do with being paranoid---no more paranoid than people who carry in their homes or have bathroom guns.
Society is not going to get any better and if by making a few design choices you can make your home safer and less inviting to the bad guys why not??
My home will not look like a bunker--it will look just like many brick homes with smaller windows that were built in the 50s--just like the one I grew up in.
Don't kid yourself, the good old USA has changed alot in the last 10 years and not for the good.
Whether you know it or not, home invasions are UP---although I am no longer in law enforcement, many of my friends still are and I talk with them often.

Dipper
Old April 27, 2008, 04:33 PM   #15
Allstar

Here are some ideas that can help you. One master locks are some of the hardest locks to pick so start with that. Yes a central light control would be great. Here is what I do. Take some time and lay in bed, get up grab you gun and do a sweep of where you are living now. Think about what you like about it and what you don't. My buddy and I have been thinking about starting a class that teaches people how to single clear a house as well as the theories behind it. We trained a bunch of our friends after a break in in their neighborhood, the next time it was one of them and the as they made their way to the stairs the robber left with out a shot because they were in a good position and armed and hard to see.

Things I like in the house.
Single stairway up to the next floor.
Large window in the living room, leaving the curtains open. Shed the light on the robber.
Central light switch, even some flood lights above the stairs to mask your position coming to the top of the stairs.
Sleep with bedroom doors open. You have to figure if they are opening it, it is to late to do anything. If it is open you have the jump on them.
There are a lot of things you can do, just sit down and think about it.
"The only breath that matters is the one you take after the other person isn't breathing. That is the only breathing that matters in a tactical situation. Train like you fight, in battle you will be breathing rapidly and shooting, not holding your breath." Johnny Rimer SO1 (Ret.)
Old April 27, 2008, 04:41 PM   #16
kgpcr

I am not saying dont be prepared but this is what i am saying. I am not worried if a bad guy trying to break in. One i am not a deep sleeper and to get in he has to break a heavy door or a window. My dog would alert me as well. to get where we are at he has to go up a stairs and down a hall way. My 870 and 00 will take care of that problem in short order. DONE! i need not worry any farther than that. I have seen what 00 buck does to a person at close range and its not good. Game over. no need to worry about any more tactical building crap. My house was built that way with out any tactical planning. I do remember from my Marine Corps days how to plant claymores and the like but i really dont think i will need any of them.
Smith M&P 40
Old April 27, 2008, 07:16 PM   #17
UltraTacky

I appreciate all the comments, even those suggesting I'm paranoid. To clarify, I have a bedside weapon and two large dogs (because we love dogs, not canine defensive systems, although they deter many), but I find myself in the possible position of starting a house from scratch rather than retrofitting an existing house, and it seemed to me that rather than re-inventing the wheel, there should be some defense/security focused builders or house designers out there who have refined the overall concepts into practical plans.
Old April 27, 2008, 07:46 PM   #18
kgpcr

Dipper
I wont live in fear and looking for the boogie man behind every tree. Yes bad things happen. I have a gun and know full well how to use it. I have a weapon on ground i know. That is all i need. I know if some one breaks in they will leave or be carried out. I carry when i hit a bad part of the state but i dont feel naked in my town with out it. I have it in my truck and thats good enough for me. I have been in battle before and i know i can take care of busuness if need be. If i lived in a **** hole then yes i would take a few extra precautions. but if i cant solve the problem with an 870 full of 00 buck then you cant take care of it with a machine gun. Yes i did put an exteded tube on it when i went to Alaska and carried it for bear so i am way good to go!
Smith M&P 40
Old April 27, 2008, 08:01 PM   #19
dipper

kgpcr,
I too refuse to live in fear and I don't and I don't think that is what anyone here means either.
If building a new house, I don't see why one should not incorporate a few things that will make the home safer and less inviting to intruders.
I have traveled some myself and have had firearms pulled on me and have had to defend myself--I did--- and no I don't look for the boogie man.
You seem content to face an intruder after he enters your home and that is fine---I hope you are single or at least have no children---I on the other hand would just as soon have the "boogie man" decide that my home is not worth the effort and I would be just as happy not to see or engage anyone---no Rambo complex here.
My wife feels much more comfortable when I leave the house for extended periods knowing that she has the dogs and other things to protect her.
You also assume that you'll always be alert and on guard and no one will get past you--others have felt the same way and were wrong.
Anyway, like I said, I'll be very happy if I never have to engage anyone.

Dipper
Old April 28, 2008, 01:24 AM   #20
Bogie

Awww... cute puppies...

1) Steel door, even if it looks a little ghetto, with hinges that have LONG screws into solid material, and a long deadbolt into a similar receptacle (or three...).

2) Lose the tacky cute widdle windows next to the door. I know the guy who is trying to sell you on the house thinks they're the best thing since American Idol, but damn, they're easy to PUNCH through, and besides, they're just tacky. Was at a friend's place - faux stained glass and all... Yeech.

3) A cheapo security camera is a good thing. A window down the porch where you can slide out a telephone for the "poor guy with car problems" is also a good thing. If they won't make the call, reach for the rock salt.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old May 1, 2008, 01:18 AM   #21
grey sky

A good idea I've seen on these forms re-enforce door ways framing with 2x4s during construction and use exterior doors on bedrooms also with re-enforced framing creating multiple "safe" rooms through the house. This would be best done during construction or major remodleing.
Old May 1, 2008, 01:50 PM   #22
djc7

Here is a decent article that briefly touches on floorplans along with a few other things related to home defense.

http://www.geocities.com/gunversatio...iderations.htm
Old May 1, 2008, 03:41 PM   #23
bushidomosquito

Design the place so that the only ways in are through the doors. Then get some pressure sensitive mats and wire them to some sort of alert system in the master bedroom, maybe an audible alarm to wake you up and just an alert strobe in the other rooms. You will know the moment anyone is standing at the doors. No dog Required. You can load a few Colt SAAs in the time it takes to pick a lock or break down a decent door.

"Bush is listening, use big words."
Old May 2, 2008, 06:26 AM   #24
Superhouse 15

The Fireman says...

I'm sitting at work listening to a residential structure fire working in the next city. Please consider planning for your safety and egress in the event of a fire. Beware of where you place glass block windows and security bars. Have a key available near any double cylinder deadbolt locks, and please please please consider residential fire sprinklers. There is a way to secure doors and windows without making it impossible to evacuate if the smoke alarm goes off at 4AM.

The one I'm listening to had injuries but no fatalities.
Old May 2, 2008, 08:36 AM   #25
djc7

Excellent point, Superhouse.