The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2008, 08:06 PM   #1
DaveInPA

5.7x28mm Reloading?

Are there dies and bullets readily available for this caliber? I'm thinking of buying an FN Five Seven and would like to be able to reload for it.

Thanks
Dave
Old April 6, 2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Sevens

It's not mainstream, so there aren't as many companies making dies for it yet, but it's certainly possible to get dies. Hornady makes them, and I would bet Redding does also. I don't know if RCBS or Lee catalogs them yet.

I would imagine bullets might be a bigger problem at this point. This is quite far from a common bullet diameter, so your selection would be lousy and likely quite expensive for what you get.

I would say that you certainly can reload for this caliber and you likely ought to reload for it if you own it, but if you are specifically trying to find a caliber that's going to be more of a hassle than 9mm, .38 Special or .45, this one is sure as hell going to be exactly that.

This is one of those calibers, IMO, that may not ever make it as a mainstream. There's a zillion calibers that end up not making it as a mainstream caliber, and each goofy caliber out there probably has some small throng of folks who love it and handload for it.
Old April 6, 2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Sevens

Oh yeah, I almost forgot-- these are bottleneck rounds, like, say, .357 Sig. So forget the idea of no-lube carbide sizing... you'll be using case lube and paying attention to trim length also.

IMO, not a big deal for rifle rounds where production isn't as big an issue... but doing all that work for pistol rounds that we chew through hundreds of in an afternoon? Doesn't sound like a chore I'd enjoy. If I want an underpowered pistol that holds a heaping helping of ammo, there's a whole slew of choices in 9mm and the bullet selection and brass availability (and load data) is exponentially greater than this new round.
Old April 10, 2008, 10:32 PM   #4
totalloser

I don't think I would refer to this cartridge as a low power cartridge at all. It is actually quite hot. Not exactly a manstopper due to the velocity and diameter, but fantastic amount of energy, and penetration.

I gave up on getting one, and loading for it. After finding that this round is so closely engineered, that you have VERY limited selections on bullets AND powder. It appears at the brink of being unloadable, as the tolerances for bullet weight and powder charge are remarkably narrow. I thought I might be able to use pistol powder I already stock, and bullets (.224) that I stock as well, but no go so far. Nothing in no5 and hornady 55s. All the load data I looked at was for lighter .224 (.223) bullets.

I understand it can be done, and this is a VERY hot high penetration round,at least for a pistol, but after doing a little snooping around I thought maybe I would give it a little more time, and see if it gets worked out better by the gurus.

Another issue, is the laquer coating on the cases (the brass ones!). You can get non coated brass, though. But bullets are available. I believe one of the loads I looked at was for a 40 grain vmax (hornady). Just normal .224 dia. I can't remember what powder was suggested.

There may be better information by now, (and perhaps someone with better memory than I) as I was looking at this about a year ago.
Old April 11, 2008, 04:52 AM   #5
scsov509

Quote:
It's not mainstream, so there aren't as many companies making dies for it yet, but it's certainly possible to get dies. Hornady makes them, and I would bet Redding does also. I don't know if RCBS or Lee catalogs them yet.
RCBS does make a set of dies that are readily available. My brother-in-law loads for his PS90 and picked up his set from Cabelas online. I also know that there is a guy on the Five-Seven forum who had Lee put together a die set that he is now selling in quantity through the site for like $50 or so. The Five-Seven forum is the place to go for info if you want to reload this round.(http://fivesevenforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=51).

As far as limited bullet selection, we're loading plain old 55 grain FMJBT over small loads of pistol powders and small pistol primers with great results. The only problem we've had is keeping brass on hand, because it is more difficult to find. The rest of the components however are readily availble in all sorts of different options. Check out that forum and you'll find all sorts of recipes to ponder.
Old April 11, 2008, 07:57 PM   #6
totalloser

I figured someone would know more about that. Maybe I need to give more thought to the idea if you can do 55s! Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out!
Old April 11, 2008, 08:22 PM   #7
hoytinak

Check out www.fnforum.net. There's some people that reload and lots of great info on the five seven.