The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 1, 2012, 01:06 PM   #26
K_Mac

I watched the show last night. It had me talking to myself a couple of times, and was about as informative as a Readers Digest article. With that said, compared to most TV programs today it was less mindless than most.

Last edited by K_Mac; March 1, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old March 1, 2012, 01:15 PM   #27
MightyAchilles

Yea definitely. Compared to some of the crap(My fair Wedding... Real housewives...blah blah blah) that my lady watches it is pure fun.
Old March 1, 2012, 03:53 PM   #28
Lee Lapin

I live in KC, my gf lives and is from Independence, and Ive.never heard of an attempt on Pres. Truman

MoBart,

See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...B15VG45C7X9W4J

American Gunfight: The Plot to Kill President Truman--and the Shoot-out That Stopped It, by Stephen Hunter and John Bainbridge Jr.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 1, 2012, 07:36 PM   #29
MoBart

Il check that out thank you. Im pretty impressed with anything Steven Hunter attaches himself to.

Let me make a couple points about the tv showsbwe are discussing. Yes, they make mistakes, bad ones. But, they are entertaining people, and they are attacting people to the firearms world, or at least makeing our passion more acceptable and accesable to a wider audiance. People make mistakes about.details, Ive seen it in countless guj shops and.god.help us walmart and kmart gun counters. Hell,.I had a.drill instructor ojce, a.Marine Staff Seargent,.who I asked the bullet and.poweder weights of the 5.56 round. His anwser? Its a gas operated weapon, not gun powder. Followed by me doing a lot of sweating lol. Ignore the goofy parts or the whol show, but cut them some slack, they mihht be good for us in the end. And yes, the daugjters are both cute lol
Old March 1, 2012, 08:29 PM   #30
jrothWA

The Truman assasignation attempt was...

1949/1950, during the renovation of the White House and the Trumans, were occupying the Blair house across the street.
The attackers were on a Puerto Rican terrorists that did a frontal attack and killed three Secret Service agents and wounded five(?) others.

The Trumans were not in residence at that time.

WJC pardoned the last remaining terrorists (2) before leaving the White House, not informing the S.S. until the last minute and over their objections.

A year later, the same group attacked the House of Representative during session from the Gallery, and wounded several Representatives and killed(?) some Capitol Police.
There are in the ceiling the bullet holes from that attack.
Old March 1, 2012, 11:36 PM   #31
jmfc606

They left out the FBI "Miami shootout" also. Just my 2 cts. I also agree the North Hollwood shootout should have made it also.
Old March 2, 2012, 04:26 AM   #32
Glenn Dee

Have not had the chance to see the show yet...

I have to agree with Kraigway. As a police officer the most influential gunfight (one way as it was) was "The Onionfield". I'd read the book, and seen the movie. At the time I was a pretty active cop. Every current Officer should see this movie if not read the book.

While the FBI shootout and L/A bank robbery are landmarks... these situation's have presented before. The FBI shootout at little bohemia, and the triangle sports shootout in NY are just two examples.

Based on the conversation in this thread... It seems the show is a politically correct popular history view of well studied shootings. IMO comparing war to a shootout is like saying a bathtub is just a very small ocean.
Old March 2, 2012, 12:55 PM   #33
jyatesmp

I missed it, but to the sounds of it the show needs to be expanded to a series, with someone else hosting it....lol
Old March 2, 2012, 04:35 PM   #34
markj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

Click on the pres you wish info on and it will open a new page. his attempted assasanation is towards the bottom. Great page to learn everything about each pres.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:10 PM   #35
Hiker 1

I bet Waco also rattled some cages.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:23 PM   #36
Roger G

I watched the program. I am not impressed with WILL of SONS A GUNS. He is like someone said "OVER THE TOP" a little. I however was impressed with the guns.The machine pistol conversion that I had never heard of before. I was instrested in what the BAR could do.I would have never thought the FBI would have been "out guned" by the likes of BONNIE AND CLYDE.
I really enjoyed the actual content of the show,but not the theatrics.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:29 PM   #37
Pbearperry

How can you call it a shootout when only one side has guns?Yes,the Valentines Day massacre is history,but I really can't call it a shootout.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:41 PM   #38
DasGuy

Glenn, what was the triangle sports shootout? I can't find anything about it on the google-a-machine.
Old March 2, 2012, 06:18 PM   #39
Stevie-Ray

I thought it was worthwhile, even though I dislike Hayden and tolerate Wyatt.
Old March 2, 2012, 07:02 PM   #40
MoBart

There actually was a history channel series called shootout several years ago that was very good.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:02 PM   #41
orthosophy

I agree on Waco.

Also, the thing I hate about Sons of Guns (Is that the one in Arkansas or wherever?) is that they seem to try to perpetuate every stereotype of deep south America.

Maybe it actually is that way...I've never been there. But that's kind of my point.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:30 AM   #42
g.willikers

They are from Louisiana, and they're Southern Lite compared to the folks on the show "Swamp People."
Old March 4, 2012, 01:35 AM   #43
MoBart

It seams like they are finding a lot of shows lately exploiting some more rural folks and tradjtions. Handfishing on tv kinda blows me away. Usually not good examples
Old March 4, 2012, 10:54 AM   #44
Glenn E. Meyer

Turn the thread back to critical incidents as compared to comparative whackos on TV, if you would - please.

BTW, wrestling isn't real either (like those two shows).
Old March 4, 2012, 11:15 AM   #45
Don P

Quote:
I think seeing the guns in action is worthwhile, even if the commentators are morons.....
Maybe some truth to both assements above, but here we are talking about them here on the forum, meanwhile they are the ones on TV being watched by America, making money and getting there business names out there in the public eye.
I don't see either one of them talking about any of us here on TFL.
So in closing I'll ask who's the morons? Us, them both or none of the above?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 5, 2012, 01:34 PM   #46
Patriot86

As a business man, all gun stuff aside I do not like the owner of American Guns as they portray him on the show. It might all be an act for all I know but im sorry, pushing a new shooter to a highly custom 1911 as her first gun is moronic and borderline immoral.

In regards to the show; echoing a lot of what others have said: The custom fully automatic 1911 in 38 super was pretty damn cool. It looked sort of like a Beretta 93R , I wonder if they didnt get the idea from his gun.
Old March 5, 2012, 02:08 PM   #47
old bear

Quote:
They profiled a gun used by “Baby Face” Nelson of the John Dillinger gang a Colt 1911 .38 Super converted to full auto with a fore grip and I believe a 20 round magazine
Interesting looking weapon. I would hate to be on the receiving end of that, but it looks far from easy to conceal. Why not a cut down rifle or shotgun? These guys were not overly worried about having illegal weapons..

P.s Don P, I like your train of thought. Some folks should remember, "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all."

Quote:
There were some very early smokeless powders (nitrated wood pulp, and other things) that were being used in shotshells, such as Schultz's White Powder, but I suspect that their penetration into the marketplace at this time, especially in the west, was VERY low.
Mr. Irwin, if I remember correctly most of the accounts of the fight at the Ok coral mention how quickly the area was filled with “gun smoke,” I also believe that Holiday got his 10 gage into the fight early on. So it would be reasonable to believe that Holiday’s ammo was of the black powder verity.

Last edited by old bear; March 5, 2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added info.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:20 PM   #48
markj

Quote:
Little Big Horn
Wasnt much of a gun fight them Indians had no bullets as it was against the law to sell ammo to them. They used arrows, go to the actual battle ground park and listen to the park rangers tell the story. Indians could fire 3 arrows per second. 8 Indians died there. Markers show where they fell.
Old March 5, 2012, 09:27 PM   #49
ltc444

After a 6 pack and an number of shots, I love the idots on Son of A Gun.

I watched the show and found it to be idoitic. The flame thrower segment shows exactly the type of imbecilic behavior which the media uses to cast all of us as buffoons.
Old March 6, 2012, 07:59 PM   #50
SPEMack618

The lady friend liked the show in regards to the Prohibition era gunfights. (that was her assigned topic for a history paper once and I am constantly asked when we can shoot a Thompson.)

However, I too agree with the lack of mention(in this show and most other media for that matter) of the Truman Assasination Attempt.

I think that is a critical incident to study, especially for the principle of practice with what ammo you carry.