The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 30, 2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Mercenary

Church Carry

Yesterday we were in church singing and I happen to glance outside the window and noticed two shady looking individuals both dressed in a Goth-style wardrobe featuring long black trench coats. Their behavior was odd enough that I stopped singing and watched them pass by the outside of the church very slowly. They never spoke to eachother but they sure looked to be on a mission. I couldn't help but think of Columbine.

My CCW was in the glove box of our car at the time and the thought came to me if something happened, we were all sitting ducks. My CCW is a full sized M&P and even in a IWB holster, its just not very feasible for sitting stationary for over an hour.

How many of you carry to church? Do you carry your usual EDC or a smaller pocket gun???
Old January 30, 2012, 08:04 AM   #2
LinuxHack3r

It's church. Get a suit, full size pistol with two spare magazines. Church carry is easy!
Old January 30, 2012, 08:15 AM   #3
loose_holster_dan

i carry in church every week. the law (at least in ohio) is that churches are not one of the places you can carry without permission. you need permission from the pastor and staff. my church is large enough that there are plain clothes security in almost every service. most people who go to the church don't know this. i didn't know until i became an usher. the last thing you want is to be shot by a good guy who didn't know you were a good guy.

my advice if you carry in church is to sit in a back corner, so you can survey the whole sanctuary. know all entry and exit points, so you can watch for sketchy characters entering, and so you can direct people towards alternate exits. also, ask the staff to be introduced to the head of security. this way, you can be introduced the plain clothes security personnel in your service, so you recognize each other if anything goes down. small churches are easier, since everyone knows everyone. being an usher, i recognize and am recognized by most people in my service. this is not true for most people. there could be 20 or more people carrying in my service, and i would never know. there are 6 i know of in my service alone.

we are a very casually dressed church. my specific service is mostly jeans and golf shirts. even as an usher, this is my common attire. carrying iwb while being an usher is one of the times you are most likely to get spotted. everyone is seated and staring right at your waist as you pass the offering plate. even in the summer when my clothes are very thin, no one sees me with a walther pps in a kydex holster from fist.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."

Last edited by loose_holster_dan; January 30, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old January 30, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Qtiphky

You will definitely need to check your laws. I don't think you can carry in Michigan in a church or place of worship. I haven't gone in so long, but it seems to me it says that right on the card.
Old January 30, 2012, 08:58 AM   #5
lcpiper

Church shootings don't seem to be common, but they do happening and the motives are all over the board.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-09-18/j...rs?_s=PM:CRIME

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=7277428

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoxvil...hurch_shooting
Old January 30, 2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Almost everyone I know who carries I know from church. We have a security team. There is always at least 4 of us at any service and usually more like 6 or 8. Every type of carry is represented. IWB, OWB, pocket, ankle, shoulder holsters. Full size semis, 1911s, LCP, Glock subcompacts, M&Ps

It ain't hard to conceal in church. Just like every other place, no one is paying any attention.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:02 AM   #7
spacecoast

I always carry at church, usually my Ruger LCP in my back pocket. Occasionally it's cool enough to wear a sweater, and then I sometimes switch to my 637 snubbie OWB.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:55 AM   #8
sarge83

I carry every service, either a Keltec P32, S&W 642 or a Glock 17. I know at least two other deacons and a retired police officer that carries as well.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:06 AM   #9
mightyoakwildlife

Church Carry

Our service is usually attended by less than seventy-five people, but I can always look around and see at least two other full-time LEOs present. All of us carry full/compact, IWB/OWB. Several others in the congregation are avid CCW holders, and avid shooters. I would imagine at least a couple of them are also carrying.

The only CCW I've noticed without intently looking was a younger gentleman this past summer, who was trying out a new Blackhawk kydex OWB he had just bought for his G23. Polo shirt and jeans. The butt printed, when his shirt was ever-so-slightly tucked behind it as he stood up. Embarassed when I asked if he had a new "toy" he was trying out, he explained that he thought the new holster might be more discreet than his leather, which had recently started to "creak", when he wore his new leather belt.

Whatever set-up you are comfortable with should serve you well. Church pews, restaurant chairs, or theater seats all require about the same comfort levels. Although the movie house may have padded upholstery, you're probably sitting for a much longer time.

Focus on your personal physical comfort, then dress accordingly.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:58 AM   #10
BRE346

Church carry if -

You get permission from the staff.
Our church family is shrinking. there are few strangers.
I know of two other men carrying at church.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

This has been discussed before, I'm pretty sure.

Here's one: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=church+carry

The law in my state does not prohibit or even mention carry in churches. I suspect if I were to ask, the church would refuse permission. Since it isn't against the law and there are no signs, I don't ask.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:21 AM   #12
dev_null

Quote:
church shootings do happen
True, but they've been by upset members of the congregation, not by scary-looking kids in long coats.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev-null
Quote:
True, but they've been by upset members of the congregation, not by scary-looking kids in long coats.
This is NOT true. The shooting in that western mega-church awhile back, the one where the shooter was taken down by the woman congregant/security officer, was not a member of the congregation. The shooter was a guy who was there solely to assassinate a doctor because he (the doctor) performed abortions.

That's just one. I have no doubt that a cursory search for church shootings will show that most are not perpetrated by members of the congregation.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Carry_24/7

I carry in every place it is legal to do so, including church.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Salmoneye

No law against that here...
Old January 30, 2012, 12:28 PM   #16
bigghoss

Doesn't make sense to me to make the decision to carry a firearm for protection and NOT carry it everywhere you're legally allowed. Makes even less sense to leave it in a vehicle that can be broken into rather than have it with you, if it isn't against the law. Of course I carry at church.
Old January 30, 2012, 12:36 PM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
This has been discussed before, I'm pretty sure.
many times.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Most church security situations are going to consist of dealing with the mildly deranged, ex-spouses, and getting kids back to the right parent. And combinations of these.

This is a good listen: Proarms podcast talks to Jon Hodaway on church security among other things.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 30, 2012, 02:22 PM   #18
dev_null

One case does not a rule make. Perhaps I should have said "...in an overwhelming majority of cases." At any rate, none of these were perpetrated by scary kids in long coats who were walking by, AFAIK.

If it seems I'm harping on this it's because this is yet another in a seemingly endless line of posts which, while they raise valid "what if" strategy/tactics questions, are predicated on paranoia about "people who look different." I see post after post along the lines of "I was pumping gas and some guy walked past and looked at me funny... Good thing I was armed!!!"

To me, "I was wondering about the best way to carry in church" is a rational question, while IMHO "I saw two kids and they were wearing something that reminded me of Columbine and now I want to know how I can carry in church" is a question driven by paranoia. (Before anyone says that one person's paranoia is another person's survival instinct, look up the clinical definition of a paranoid belief.)

All standard disclaimers apply, YMMV, void where prohibited, some assembly required, batteries not included...
Old January 30, 2012, 02:28 PM   #19
kinggabby

Quote:
I carry in every place it is legal to do so, including church.
Same for me. In Oklahoma Churches are not off limits.
Quote:
To me, "I was wondering about the best way to carry in church" is a rational question, while IMHO "I saw two kids and they were wearing something that reminded me of Columbine and now I want to know how I can carry in church" is a question driven by paranoia. (Before anyone says that one person's paranoia is another person's survival instinct, look up the clinical definition of a paranoid belief.)
I carry a Taurus 617 7shot .357 snub IWB Appendix conceals great comfortable and easy to get to if I need it.
Old January 30, 2012, 02:59 PM   #20
PT-92

Quote:
Mercenary
...How many of you carry to church? Do you carry your usual EDC or a smaller pocket gun???
I have just read your OP only so far, but I can tell you that even Saint Peter himself would have to tell me that I can't CCW when I get there (fingers crossed)...I carry everywhere (or I don't go).

In this world we live in...Get serious...

-Cheers
Old January 30, 2012, 03:16 PM   #21
TailGator

Carry in church is OK in Florida, too. I carried regularly until our church decided to have the pianists wear robes, so now I have to take my jacket off and don a robe without privacy. Thinking about adding a little pocket something to my carry options.
Old January 30, 2012, 03:22 PM   #22
playin' hookey

Virginia's ambiguous law on church carry

Virginia law says carrying in church is permitted only for "good and sufficient reason" but gives no guidance about what reason would be "good and sufficient." Perhaps just self-defense, but I don't think there has ever been a court case to set a precedent. I would carry in church if I were sure of legality but given our ambiguous law, I don't.
Old January 30, 2012, 03:41 PM   #23
engineer88

Even in thin dress slacks I find that my Keltec P32 with plus one and laser is light enough and easy to stuff in the same pocket as my jeans I wear every day. With an extra mag in the off-hand pocket I feel sufficiently protected. Every other day of the week I have a much bigger brother accompanying it iwb, but on Sunday's I just tote the one. B-)
Old January 30, 2012, 04:03 PM   #24
Viper225

The main problems I see coming up in Church would be a regular Church member, or the Pastor bringing an abused wife or girlfriend to church, and having the abuser show up. This can go south in a hurry.

Next along the same line is child custody problems that come to a head in Church. Normally some one is getting away from an abusive situation and taking the kids with them. The drunk father or mother shows up. In my LE experiance alcohol is almost always a factor no matter what time of the day or night a problem comes up.

Armed Robbery can be a problem, but not likely where I live.

The main issue with concealed carry in a church like I attend is it tends to be a little to hug friendly. That adds another issue to work out. A small conceal carry Day Planners might be a good option for warm weather carry.

Bob
Old January 30, 2012, 04:15 PM   #25
Nitesites

Having your CCW at church? If permissible, seems like a "Don't ask, don't tell" situation.