The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 21, 2009, 10:26 AM   #1
hawkins50cal

Armi San Marco 1851

I recently acuired an Armi San Marco 1851 Navy Colt .44 caliber.
I need some help figuring out what year this thing was made. I was told it was about 20 years old and never been shot. By the overall inspection of it I'd say yes, it's never been shot, as far as the year, not sure. By the way, this will be for sale shortly. I already have two Pietta's, two .50 caliber Hawkins & a 1861 .58 caliber Springfield, don't really need another BP revolver. Any help indentifing the year would be appreciated, also if you are interested in the revolver you can PM me. I will be posting pics later today or tommorrow.

Thanks
Mike
Old February 21, 2009, 11:31 AM   #2
mykeal

There will be a series of stamps on the frame, probably on the right side below the cylinder. Two of them look like coats of arms; they are the Italian proof house stamps that show the gun was proof tested. The third will be two (or three) capital letters inside a square box. This is the manufacturing date code; if it's exactly 20 years old the letters will be AU for 1989. Here's the decoder ring:
Old February 21, 2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Fingers McGee

There should be a date code on the frame. This link will help you decipher the markings on it: https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf

Dang, ya beat me again Mykeal.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 21, 2009, 11:51 AM   #4
hawkins50cal

Thanks again guys,

The marking says AM wich puts this at 1984.
It's officially for sale, I'll post some pics today.

Last edited by hawkins50cal; February 21, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old February 21, 2009, 11:30 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Dang, ya beat me again Mykeal.
You gotta be squick to beat mykeal.
Old February 22, 2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Fingers McGee

squick?
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 22, 2009, 12:50 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
squick?
Well once you figure it out you'll be able to beat mykeal.
Old February 22, 2009, 07:22 AM   #8
mykeal

'Squick' is super quick, in fact, it's so super quick the words just run together into one word.
Old February 22, 2009, 01:30 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Thanks for the translation. I was thinking of all sorts of possibilities; most unprintable.

I'll practice my posting skills and maybe one day I'll be as fast as Mykeal.

Is there a home study course I can take that will help me out?

FM
Old February 22, 2009, 03:58 PM   #10
mykeal

Well, in this case, I have a bad cold so I'm staying in my recliner with SWMBO bringing vessels full of various medicinal aperitifs and being entertained by the laptop. So I'm on the forums almost constantly, or at least when the meds let me stay awake.

Mucinex. Great stuff.
Old February 22, 2009, 08:46 PM   #11
kirpi97

Just think. mykeal is "squick" even while he is doped up on pharmaceuticals. Can you imagine the speed if he where to have taken two teaspoons of sugar as medication?

I have lost to him on numerous occasions in the past. But the best part, drugs or not, he has a better answer than even my well thought out retort.

Get well. I hate to be taking advantage of a sick man.
Old February 23, 2009, 12:45 AM   #12
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Just think. mykeal is "squick" even while he is doped up on pharmaceuticals. Can you imagine the speed if he where to have taken two teaspoons of sugar as medication?

I have lost to him on numerous occasions in the past. But the best part, drugs or not, he has a better answer than even my well thought out retort.

Get well. I hate to be taking advantage of a sick man.
It does boggle the mind.

I think I'll just hang back and watch. Hopefully I'll pick up some pointers

Hope you get to feeling better Mykeal. You'r right, Mucinex is some pretty good stuff.

FM
Old October 14, 2013, 04:25 PM   #13
GaryED50

I just bought the same thing but

I just bought one too According to the year chart its from 1964 and it looks unused. NICE

thanks

Gary