The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 9, 2011, 09:32 AM   #1
abber

PPK stovepiping

First, I would like to make sure I am using the right term. What I perceive stovepiping to be, is an unfired round pointing straight up from the ejection port. Feel free to correct me on this. I have a buddy that says stovepiping is an empty round doing the same thing, one being a FTF, the other being an FTE.

Anyway, I have had this Walther PPK for several years, and in spite of its reputation, it is the least reliable gun I have. I can only count on round #1. After that it is a crap shoot as to whether I'll get any more shots without clearing the (FTF) stovepipe jam. I keep it mainly because I have been too lazy to deal with it.

Any suggestions? I am going to sell it as defective to whoever wants to take a chance, but not until I have at least tried a few things to get it working. I can do simple smith work such as replacing just about any part, or polishing parts, or whatever. Just looking for a concensus as to what direction to look in.

Thanks friends, and happy shooting.
Old June 9, 2011, 09:55 AM   #2
EEL92fs

A stovepipe as I know is an empty case stuck straight up after you shoot. I have never had a live round do this but I guess it would be called the samething. With a live round doing it is it after you shoot and the next round does not chamber? or is this when you strip the first round of a Mag and the round does not go in the chamber?
Old June 9, 2011, 02:03 PM   #3
mete

Have you tried it with another magazine ? Have you tried different ammo ? These are the first steps before you condemn it.
Old June 9, 2011, 02:21 PM   #4
DnPRK

Your cartridge indicator pin is probably gummed up with dirt and won't allow the cartridge to move into battery. Its a common problem.

Remove the slide, detail strip it, clean, lube and reassemble.
Old June 9, 2011, 05:16 PM   #5
44 Deerslayer

DnPRK said "Your cartridge indicator pin is probably gummed up with dirt and won't allow the cartridge to move into battery. Its a common problem."

I agree, the cartridge has to slide under the extractor and push the indicator pin back at the same time. If the pin is sticking the cartridge won't go all the way under the extractor and will pop loose as it tries to enter the chamber.
Old June 9, 2011, 06:31 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The loaded chamber indicator could cause the problem, but I think it is more likely to be the magazine lips releasing the round too soon.

FWIW, the "signalstift" is not pushed back by the round coming up; it is lifted by the round, but then when the round chambers, the indicator's front end rests on the chamber edge not on the cartridge base.

Jim
Old June 9, 2011, 08:09 PM   #7
44 Deerslayer

You're right Jim. I just checked my PPK, cartridge lifts the pin. It would have to be pretty cruddy to be stuck in the down position, although possible. Bad magazine is just as likely a cause.
Old June 9, 2011, 10:13 PM   #8
triggerman770

Stovepiping

this will cause a stir.. the single most problems with PP's and PPk's coming in to my shop is limpwristing. had 6 this year of six brought in. don't remember last years, but all results the same. these little guns are really dependent on a firm grip to recoil against.
www.georgiacarry.org
Old June 9, 2011, 10:54 PM   #9
steve1589

yep, limpwristing can cause jams in blowback actions. Get hold of it like it's a rattlesnake and you are trying to keep it from biting you.