The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1
CrazyHorse89

HELP, ReSizing/DePrimer Die leaving my Brass Dirty

I'm new to reloading, but I need help with my Hornady LNL and Hornady New Demension Dies, I'm try to resize and deprime my .45 acp Brass, but every time I do its leaving these ugly black steaks on the brass. THis upsets me cause it makes the brass look worse than before tumbling.

I ran the brass through my Tumbler using 70/30 corn/walnut and table spoon of polish for about 2-3 hours. I then cleaned my Hornady dies with ONe shot.

Am i suppose to lube my brass or clean it again?

What would cause the Die to leave the dirty marks on the brass?

What can I do to prevent this?

Suggestions, comments??

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by CrazyHorse89; June 28, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old June 29, 2009, 12:00 AM   #2
steve4102

Are these their "Nitride" dies? If so then they should not need lube. Did you take the die apart and give it a good cleaning to remove all the grease and gunk left in the die after manufacturing?
Old June 29, 2009, 08:07 AM   #3
margiesex

Just a thought

When I start the process, I resize, deprime, expand - then I tumble. That way I can get some semblance of clean primer pocket and a better flow of media.

And I don't have to worry about the "before" soot, powder dirt after that!

The problem with this is that I have the RCBS Progressive 2000 and basically I use it as a single stage - I size, decap, and expand - then tumble and the 2 dies are removed - leaving me the seater die and the powder measure as the only 2 slots filled on the press.

I don't know, but I learned long ago that I would not use regular dies again for pistol rounds - I only use carbide, which, as has been said, needs no lube - awesome, but they are more costly.

Good luck and welcome to a great hobby!

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both - and soon!
Old June 29, 2009, 08:25 AM   #4
freakshow10mm

Hornady One Shot is a lubricant, not a cleaner. Clean the dies with a cleaner.
Old June 29, 2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Cloudpeak

You may be using too much polish in your media. I used to use "Nu Finish" on my walnut media and it did leave a residue that would "streak" on the brass when run through the carbide sizing die. I quit using polish and just use walnut media now.

I don't use "One Shot" on any dies but I do spray a very light coat on my pistol brass. It's not necessary with carbide sizing dies but my LNL progressive press runs smoother. (You don't need to use much. One can of "One Shot" lasted me through 25,000 rounds of pistol ammo. I also used it to lube lead bullets when I sized them using the Lee push through sizer.)

To remove any residue from loaded rounds (I use Lee Liquid Alox on my cast bullets and, when using a progressive and collecting rounds in the "dump bin", the LLA gets spread around), I lay about 10 rounds out in a row on a towel, roll them to inspect for anything unusual and then use a folded up "micro fiber" towel on top of the row of rounds to roll the cartridges back and forth. This removes most of the "stickiness" from the loaded rounds.