The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Tetonbrandy

30-06 loads

Guys, I'm having trouble finding a tack driver load for m700 30-06. 3/4" is the best I can do. I've been using mainly 150 gr loads. I've tried a few 165's. It will be for whitetails. Any suggestions?
Old June 27, 2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Sport45

Quote:
3/4" is the best I can do... It will be for whitetails.
Trust me, if you miss your mark by 3/8" the deer won't know the difference. They don't have bullseyes marked on them anyway so you can always tell your buddies the bullet went just where you were aiming.

I'd call that pretty good shooting with a hunting rifle.

Oh yeah, Welcome to The Firing Line!
Old June 28, 2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

I assume this group is fired at 100 yards? If so, or further, 3/4" is pretty good.

If you are looking for a one-holer at that range, you will probably have to use 150 grain flat base match bullets rather than hunting bullets. The Berger #30407 would be a good choice. Match bullets are made with thinner jackets because it is easier to make the walls of the thin jackets consistently, so they are not always usable for hunting.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 28, 2009, 06:49 AM   #4
James R. Burke

If that is a hunting round at 100 yards you are getting great groups. I would consider that to be very good. Welcome to the forum.
Old June 28, 2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Tetonbrandy

30-06

Thanks guys. I guess I'm spoiled. 59 gr of h4831 and 130 gr hornady sp in my a bolt 270 and my m700 270 gives me sub 0.5 moa. Thanks for the help guys and I'm glad to be here.
Old June 28, 2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Dannyl

This works great in my REm 700

HI,
I have always been shooting Hornady 180 GR Interlocks (BTSP), which I use for anything form Kudu to Springbuk and Impala.

On the 10th of July I am going hunting again, and my wife asked me to participate also ( she shoots regularly, but in the past the recoil of the 180 Gr was a tad too much for her).

I developed a load for her using Hornady SST 150 Gr BTSP, and if I shoot them at 2450 FPS, they consistently group 1/2" MOA at 100M.

When Zeroed at 200M, this load hits 2.5 " high at 100M and approx 7" low at 300M.

In view of the fact that she will be shooting one or two Springboks, from a distance that will not exceed 200M, this is a suitable load.

I use CCI primers, and a powder that is locally manufactured here.

My COL is 84.6mm.

Your rifle is identical to mine, so if you develop a load that runs them at a similar velocity, it should work fine for you too. ( I personally believe that 200M is the maximum that I like to shoot when hunting, target practice is another story)

One more tip, I weigh my cases, and try to shoot groups with cases that have either identical weight, or variances of no more than 0.2 of a grain. I picked this tip from Terry Harrison, who holds a few national records for bench-rest shooting here.

I know, you all think " why not go and buy a rifle that has less recoli" well, here getting a new licese ca ntake up to 18 months at the moment, so there you go.

Regards,

Danny
Old June 28, 2009, 01:47 PM   #7
VaFisher

I had good luck with the Hornady 150gr SST bullet using 52. gr 4064 powder and Win LR primer. My rifle is a older Rem BDL, in fact I have two rifles with con serial numbers and both love the same load. I have also loaded for other rifles using this load with great results, may be worth a shot but start out lower and work up to find your sweet spot.
Old June 28, 2009, 02:10 PM   #8
V.Hunter

Quote:
Thanks guys. I guess I'm spoiled. 59 gr of h4831 and 130 gr hornady sp in my a bolt 270 and my m700 270 gives me sub 0.5 moa. Thanks for the help guys and I'm glad to be here.
Accuracy is only a small portion of a good hunting load. Consistency, velocity, and retained energy are all more important in my opinion than itty bitty groups.

If your load is of acceptable velocity for the bullet being used I'd say 3/4" is just fine for a hunting load. I have on numerous occasions settled for a load that turned in larger groups than others in favor of its consistency and higher velocity.

I have used Hornady's 165gr SP's for years in my 308's, 30-06's, and even my 300's with excellent results.
Old June 28, 2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Group size significance depends on whether you are hunting deer 300 yards away or prairie dogs 300 yards away? It seems to me the importance of terminal performance, beyond some threshold, is directly proportional to how far off the accuracy of your point of impact is expected to be? The further off the center of the vital area you hit, the harder the bullet needs to hit to still achieve a rapid stop. Thus, theoretically, a more accurate gun may work with a less potent load than a less accurate rifle needs to have for the same job, though I personally wouldn't count on that. So, you have to know your target, then evaluate your own field shooting skills to figure out how accurate you need your gun to be? Extra accuracy never hurts anything, but too little accuracy can.

Boots Obermeyer made the observation years ago that, for any given rifle, some accuracy loads seem to be more immune to the shooter's position than others are. So don't just bench your field loads. Once they work from the bench, try them at the range from the different field positions you normally find yourself using. See if the average POI for each group moves around any and be prepared to compensate. If you get a round that's great on the bench but won't group or changes POI too much in your field positions, try working up another.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle