The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2009, 09:17 PM   #1
boy412

Fiocchi 45ACP brass

I've accumulated a bunch of this and gave some to a friend who's reloading. What size primers do these take? They look like small pistol primers...which I would not have expected.

I had some Federal, CCI, and Speer brass that accepted the primers my friend had (large pistol). Is this a Fiocchi thing?

Thanks...
Old June 26, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2
D. Manley

All my Fiocchi and GFL (same) takes LPP in .45.
Old June 27, 2009, 10:19 AM   #3
boy412

Hmmm. I'm obviously new to this, but looking at the Fiocchi brass I have the primer pockets seem significantly smaller. Here's a close-up.

Does the primer pocket get stretched out during the reloading process that much?
Old June 27, 2009, 10:57 AM   #4
margiesex

primer pockets

Hello:

I'm not sure, but from the picture, this looks like it MAY have a crimped primer in it - aka - a small band of brass (?) around the small pistol primer.

I have seen, and have some Speer .45 with SPP pockets, and as a thread I started says, I'm running into Winchester .40's that have (apparently) a crimped pocket as well.

And, Fed. NT (it's stamped on the headstamp FED NT) are also small pistol primed. I have been told it stands for Non-Toxic, but I wouldn't sware to it.

I toss the Fed NT .45's, but since the Speer look like it was intended, I have and will load the .45 SPP from Speer. They shoot fine for me in my Gold Cup.

Hope I helped, and God bless.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old June 27, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Your Fiocchi looks different than mine! Wow.
Old June 27, 2009, 11:14 AM   #6
csmsss

That's definitely NOT a large pistol primer, primer crimp or not. Remove that crimp and the pocket is still too small for a LPP.
Old June 27, 2009, 12:13 PM   #7
D. Manley

I've never seen those before and my "guess" is, that's going to turn out to be Ficcohi's version of a N/T load. Definitely a SPP and the bronze color is different from their normal, nickle plated primers. I checked their website and although I've never ran across them, they do make a frangible, N/T in .45. Other companies that market the non-toxic stuff use small primers.
Old June 27, 2009, 12:26 PM   #8
boy412

Quote:
That's definitely NOT a large pistol primer, primer crimp or not. Remove that crimp and the pocket is still too small for a LPP.
That's what I'm sayin'! Glad I'm not crazy, or really dense about this.

The Fiocchi is practically the only ammo the indoor range I go to sells. So there's scads of brass available. Are these SPP's in there? Since its an indoor range it would make sense that they sell only "non-toxic" rounds.

Thanks...
Old June 27, 2009, 12:31 PM   #9
boy412

The rounds I've been shooting (and the brass I've been collecting) is their 230grn leadless FMJ...product code 45TCEB.

Why would a "non-toxic" round use a smaller primer...and why would it be crimped as well? I thought that was only used in Mil-spec ammo.
Old June 27, 2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Well, their non-toxic primers are only SPP size. As for the mil-spec aspect, that may be who is their primary client for the non-toxic ammo.
Old June 27, 2009, 05:16 PM   #11
D. Manley

Quote:
The rounds I've been shooting (and the brass I've been collecting) is their 230grn leadless FMJ...product code 45TCEB.

From what I can tell, that product code is indeed their "clean" line of frangible, lead-free, ammunition. Some people just load these with SPP but I tend to cull them...they seem to find a way to work their way into the press among normal cases and will bugger things up if they do.