The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2009, 01:17 AM   #1
arktrlblzr

22-250 oal

I'm really puzzled by the COL listed for the 22-250 in reload manuals. They list 2.350 as max. I have a Rem 700 VTR and I measure 2.540 end of cartridge to the lands. I get this using 1/4" all thread screwed into tapped brass, most probably know what I mean. I reload for several other calibers and there is usually some difference, but never this much. I'm new to the 22-250, enlighten me please......

Arktrlblzr
NRA Life Member
Old June 24, 2009, 05:38 AM   #2
bpratl

Can you explain the procedure you are using to determine the starting of the lands for your rifle?
Old June 24, 2009, 12:32 PM   #3
arktrlblzr

The procedure.....drill and tap a fired round of brass to 1/4-20. Get a piece of allthread, 6 to 8 inches long, screw allthread into brass, insert a bullet into brass. Remove bolt from rifle, insert cartridge into chamber, screw allthread into cartridge until you feel the bullet meet the lands. As you screw the allthread into the brass it pushes the bullet out. Once you feel it meet, remove and measure.

Arktrlblzr
NRA Life Member
Old June 24, 2009, 03:36 PM   #4
James R. Burke

There are several good ways to find out what your c.o.l. should be. I am no pro at this so I will let someone with more knowledge answer this for you. I have seen alot of differnce from the published to what the rifle was. I was reloading one time for a .270 win and the differnce was so great I rechecked about ten times using differnt methods. It was just a really long chamber. I guess that is one of the main resons of reloading and getting good accurate loads. Sorry of not being more help to you. Good luck, and keep it safe!
Old June 26, 2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Horseman

You more than likely just have a long throat in that rifle. Measure it using a totally different technique than you did the first time. If you get the same COL than you know it's right. The printed COL in loading manuals is relatively worthless. It will always err on the short side to ensure clearance in all chambers. I haven't used COL from a manual ever. Most of my rifles shoot best with .010" - .005" jump to the lands.
Old June 26, 2009, 06:04 PM   #6
thetoecutter

Have an older single-shot long-action 26" heavy barrel Savage in .22-250. Just went down and measured some loaded cartridges. Nosler 50 gr BTs loaded .010" off the lands and are 2.450" OAL.

So I guess my throat is a little longer than yours...

Is an old slow-twist barrel, so I can't really use any "longer" bullets. Do have some 55 gr Nosler CTs that I am going to try after I use up all the 50's.

Tried Hornady 60 gr V-max's years ago, they hit sideways

Some day am going to put a set of bases/rings and a scope that it deserves...

TTC