The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2009, 06:37 PM   #1
gdeal

To ReLoad or NOT to Reload - That is the question.

OK we all know the high price of ammo. I would like to start reloading but I keep hearing people say that 1) it won't save me all that much money and 2) It will be difficult to find everything that I need to reload with. I would do this for .40 caliber. Can any one give me some straight info on this? Please keep in mind that I would probably shoot more if I had more inexpensive ammo too.
Old June 24, 2009, 06:48 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

You have to look at reloading as a extension of shooting. Save money yes and no. You can save if you keep the same level of shooting you are doing now. But you won't you will be trying different bullets different powders and you will start looking for a new toy to start loading for.

The main advantage is that you can tailor your loads to the gun. One big plus factor is in practice, not shooting full power loadings. After all your just punching a hole in a piece of paper. Using cast bullets will drop your cost a lot. Buying in bulk even further. And the big thing you've started a new hobby.
Old June 24, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3
benzuncle

Yes, you can save money by "building" your own ammo, but you might offset some of the savings by shooting more ammo. You'll need to ask yourself if that's such a bad thing or not. For most loaders, it isn't. YMMV Often as not, people that get into reloading discover that it becomes a 2nd hobby that sneaks up on them. Few complain. Ammo "fixins" are out there. Once you find them, sock some away.

So, your first decision is whether to load or not. Then you will need to decide how much shooting you plan on doing. This will help dictate the type of loading equipment you might want to choose. Lurking and the stickys will help immensely. Your budget may also do some dictating. There are plenty of loaders have strong opinions about what we've chosen to reload with and why we feel that way. Your task will be to sift through it all and make an informed decision. There's plenty of info on the forums from people with anywhere from a little experience to years of it. Pour over it. Good luck to you in all of your decisions. It was a very fun, informative and rewarding time for me.

BTW: I load my range loads with the same charge I load my SD loads so that my firearms will feel the same at all times. The money I save by loading allows me to do that and still save $$$.
Old June 24, 2009, 08:12 PM   #4
joerockt

Honestly, now is the wrong time to start reloading. Primers and powder are a bitch to find these days and all of the friggin horders and vultures just make it worse by buying what they can and selling at twice the price.

Its disgusting and frustrating...
Old June 24, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Prof Young

Save money . . . could be

Loaders:
Whether or not you save money by reloading depends on what you shoot and how much and how often. I enjoy hunting with my 44 mag. I figure that to become a good shot with it I need to shoot my hunting loads all the time. Off the shelf a 44 mag with a 200 gr jacketed hollow point is about 80 cents a shot. When I reload them myself the cost is down to about 30 cents. In two shots I save a dollar. That doesn't take long to pay for my reloading gear. Then once you have the gear, it only takes one more die set, and the components to start reloading what ever other calibers you shoot. So, while it all depends on the particulars, if the circumstances are right you can save a lot when you reload.

Live well, be safe.
Prof Young
Old June 24, 2009, 10:23 PM   #6
freakshow10mm

Yes you will save money. You will save about 50% without trying hard.

Savings is in the brass. You can reload it about 10 times or so. If you pick up brass off the ground, it costs you nothing. Free brass.

Here are some ballpark prices to illustrate the savings:

Jacketed $125
Powder $20
Primers $30
Brass $35 (say you buy used from a forum)
TOTAL $210 per thousand rounds or 21 cents each.

You're paying, what, 50-75 cents per round for factory ammo right now, right? Hell you already cut that by 50-75%.

BUT WAIT! Since you can reload the brass and get about 10 firings, your brass costs a fraction of that $35 since that is $35 per 10,000 rounds (1,000 pcs times 10 firings each). So now the brass actually costs you $3.50/1,000rds. Now your cost per thousand is only $178.50.

Switch to lead bullets at about half the cost and you are saving more money there spending about $50 per thousand on bullets. Now your cost is only $103.50/ 1,000 rds. Use a low charge weight powder like Winchester 231 with a moderate mild 4.5gr charge and you get 1,555 rounds per pound (7000gr in a pound divided by powder charge per round) or 12,444 rounds per 8lb keg of powder.

Buying in bulk to save even more money. You get price breaks buying 5,000 primers and 8lb kegs versus 1,000 primers and 1lb cans.

For .40 S&W, brass is plentiful. Start saving your brass now. A decent setup being the Lee Classic Turret Press Kit from Kemp's Gun Shop will run about $200 shipped and include about everything you need. Just add a tumbler and media to polish your brass.

Components are a bit harder to get now because of demand but if you wait it out and buy in bulk, it will be worth it.
Old June 24, 2009, 10:51 PM   #7
D. Manley

Quote:
To ReLoad or NOT to Reload - That is the question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK we all know the high price of ammo. I would like to start reloading but I keep hearing people say that 1) it won't save me all that much money and 2) It will be difficult to find everything that I need to reload with. I would do this for .40 caliber. Can any one give me some straight info on this? Please keep in mind that I would probably shoot more if I had more inexpensive ammo too.
The replies above pretty well answers the question asked. Yes, you "can" save money over the cost of factory ammunition but in all probability you don't end up in the black mainly because, you'll shoot more simply because you'll enjoy it more. Beyond that, reloading tends to take on a life of it's own and if you (as I do) like to experiment beyond the basics, you can actually wind up spending more...not necessarily a bad thing if you find it rewarding.

Answering the questions not asked, the "fringe benefits" are, learning a useful and enjoyable skill that will enable you to produce better ammunition, become a better shooter and have a much more satisfying experience as you do so. There's a lot to be said for the ability to tailor loads for your personal likes & dislikes making the actual shooting experience not only less expensive but better in every respect. I've been at this off & on the better part of 40 years and I still get a thrill out of developing a new load that provides tack-driving accuracy and shoots like a dream. I've had a couple of cases of factory ammo just sitting here for a few years now and cannot seem to make myself shoot it up...seems more like a chore than fun.
Old June 24, 2009, 11:15 PM   #8
SamStafford

YES, you can save a LOT of $$$ if you are going to reload. Just my 2 cents.
Old June 25, 2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Tex S

This discussion has reminded me of something my Dad once said when we were talking about eating venison. I said, "Venison tastes great and it's cheap!!!".

Dad promptly told me that the venison steak I was about to eat was actually very expensive. Huh??? He reminded me that after lease fees, gas, corn, feeder batteries, hunting license, etc. the 50lbs. of useable meat costs about $5000. Thats $100 a lb.!!!

Guess I never thought of it that way. Doesn't matter though. Dad and I would hunt and eat venison if it cost twice that amount.

Anyway, the same might be said for reloading. I have been at it for 7 months now, and I am running out of places to hide receipts from Midway, Grafs, and various bullet makers (my fiance would flip if she knew how much it was). Just a wild guess, but I bet I have almost $3000 in gear and components. I have loaded about 5000 rounds, so that is .60 per round, $30 per box of fifty. I load mostly 45 auto, so I am about on par with the cost of factory ammo...... plus I'm always in stock!!!

Just had an epiphany!!! I guess I'm not doing all that bad! Breaking even on the cost of ammo, plus all the equipment I have accumulated.

Maybe I will be saving money soon!!! Doesn't matter though, I would reload if it cost twice as much!
Old June 25, 2009, 04:37 AM   #10
TheNatureBoy

After the initial investment you will begin to save a few dollars. For example, one of the rifles I load for is a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero. When I go to the range it isn't uncommon for me to fire 30 loads. I usually take a second rifle (.280) and shoot just as many. What does 2 boxes of 20ea. 7mm rem mag and .280 ammo cost? My guess (its been so long since I've purchased off the shelf) is $28 and higher. So, the immediate savings from firing ammo alone significant.

To be honest, I never started reloading for the purpose of saving money. I'm simply interested in high powered rifles, ballistics, accuracy, target shooting. I know finding components can be difficult at times but those of us who love reloading work around it. My vote is to get started gdeal. It has become a passion for me. If you enjoy it half as much as I do you won't regret it.
Old June 25, 2009, 04:52 AM   #11
EmptyHull

Box of 45 Colts cost $33 for me including tax. I reload for $8.50 a box. Components are hard to find, you just have to keep looking. Tim
Old June 25, 2009, 07:26 AM   #12
kyle663

another option to this is you could start casting your own boolits and cut cost even more.
Old June 25, 2009, 07:57 AM   #13
lockedcj7

The above posters have pretty well covered it. The only thing I can add is that equipment isn't hard to find at all.

Cabela's has a reloading/shooting catalog that has everything you need. They aren't the cheapest and they don't have the best selection but they have more than enough to get you started. Several manufacturers put out kits that come with virtually everything you need. Just add a set of dies, and the actual components and you're in business.

If you want better quality, service and selection, try Dillon Precision. They have a cult-like following and they sell machines already set up to crank out bulk quantities of specific cartridges.

Once you get deeper into reloading as its own hobby, you can get components cheaper through Midway, Graf's, Gameliel, etc.

It might be worth buying one of the following books and reading up on reloading. They lay out the advantages and disadvantages of things like single-stage vs. progressive presses and teach you about technique. They also teach you why you need things like a powder trickler.

Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook

Metallic Cartridge Reloading
Old June 25, 2009, 08:11 AM   #14
Alleykat

Lots of guys disagree with me on this, but I wouldn't reload .40 on a bet. I don't shoot anything except my reloads, but I have no use for the .40, from a reloading perspective.
Old June 25, 2009, 08:13 AM   #15
DiscoRacing

....everything they all said.. but yes i reload...yes i save alot... and yes i do shoot much more.... but yes i also love the hobby.
Old June 25, 2009, 08:56 AM   #16
Dustin0

i have the cost down on my 45 ACP load to about 12 cents a round. Yes you can save money. If you can find primers and powder.
Old June 25, 2009, 03:43 PM   #17
James R. Burke

Just read a thread on that subject. I dont reload to save money, but I do, and it is a added bonus for me. I like the hobby, and knowing I am shooting the best out of my rifles or pistols that I can. Like most folk said when you reload you tend to shoot more, and get better at shooting and reloading. With reloading your buying in more bulk so it cost more up front, but then you have it for awhile. I just love doing it.
Old June 25, 2009, 04:25 PM   #18
Starvingboy

Yes you'll save money... in the LONG run. Tooling up is expensive, and I keep finding neat little widgets to make things go smoother/fast.... which keeps adding into the tooling up cost. Still, nice to blow through a few hundred rounds and know you only have $40 worth of components into it, and can make more any time you please.
Old June 25, 2009, 05:03 PM   #19
tomfish1

Like he says ^^^^^^^ maybe over time, but overall I keep buying more tooling, and various toys, then everytime I come across some components I buy them. Then becuase I have it I shoot a lot more. I just like being able to customize my ammo and be able to go out the night before a comp and turn out a few hundred rounds in an hour or so. Once you get it all up and running and you stop making mistakes. It can be cheaper for sure.
Old June 25, 2009, 05:16 PM   #20
azredhawk44

Quote:
Lots of guys disagree with me on this, but I wouldn't reload .40 on a bet. I don't shoot anything except my reloads, but I have no use for the .40, from a reloading perspective.

OP:

Given that your caliber of choice is the .40, I'd advise against it as well.

The .40 is THE caliber of the kaboom in Glock handguns. I see that you're shooting an M&P, which I believe has a supported chamber unlike the older Glocks... but it's still the .40.

Using the heavier bullets like 165 and 180gr, you have a VERY small case volume for your powder charge.

Your precision when seating the bullet must be ABSOLUTE, and your crimp must be PERFECT. You cannot allow setback of the bullet into the case during feeding of the bullet. That creates a spike in pressure and a potential for Kaboom.

Lots of guns other than glocks have kaboomed. No gun or gun owner is invulnerable to the possibility.

If you had said just about any other caliber from .380 to .500 S&W I would heartily endorse getting into it, but I don't consider the .40 to be a safe cartridge for a new reloader to begin work with.

If you have a rifle or other firearm to begin learning how to reload with, try that first. Otherwise... I'd say to forget about it.
Old June 25, 2009, 09:50 PM   #21
Steviewonder1

Reload or Not 40S&W?

I have reloaded 40S&W for 15 years. For my Para 16-40 I use a 200GR bullit set at 1.21 OAL behind a loading of Universal Clays into a Shumann Match barrel inletted .1 inch. I also load 40S&W for my G35 with once fired brass run thru a Redding G-RX full length resizing die using the same 200GR bullit behind a charge of Unique. Both work very well and the level of QC I do keeps things well within all limits. Quality Checks on your part is the ultimate requirement for using ANY reloaded ammo in your gun. I do not reload for anyone else than me. I am also glad that I stocked up in the last year for parts and pieces that I am using right now.