The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 25, 2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Just don't like... can't take seriously... don't respect... the lowly 22 LR

So...I'd never put down someone elses gun, but I have several 22's both handguns, & rifles, & I just can't get into shooting them...

yep, did an Appleseed, & used my 10-22, I have a couple vintage target rifles, have an old Gov. Target model Ruger semi auto, & a couple revolvers both single action & double action, & several antiques ( I actually enjoy the antiques the most, but always shoot Colibri's / super Colibri's in those...

In my defense, I have lots of other lower power, cheaper to shoot guns... I know I get as much out of reloading, as I do shooting, so maybe that's my problem...

thoughts ???
Old February 25, 2013, 09:11 AM   #2
aarondhgraham

Hiya MWM,,,

Quote:
so maybe that's my problem...
You don't have a problem,,,
You simply have a personal preference.

Hey my friend,,,
Shoot what makes ya happy,,,
Don't fret about what doesn't make ya happy.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Last edited by aarondhgraham; February 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:15 AM   #3
AH.74

I felt similar for a long time, poo-pooing the round. I never saw the point.

But then a couple of years ago I decided to pick up an MKIII that I saw for a good price. Suddenly it was as if a light had gone off and I thought "Where have you been all my life?"

I had never had so much fun and enjoyment shooting anything.

Back in November, right before the craziness began, I finally acted on my desire to pick up a 10/22. I'm glad I did it then, but aside from the good timing on my part- it's another gun I just love to shoot.

I think it's great to work with on the fundamentals, and deserves as much respect as any other round. If you just like louder bangs and more recoil there's nothing wrong with that- but IMO you're depriving yourself of something very good. If only I could re-stock my ammo stash...
Old February 25, 2013, 09:16 AM   #4
geetarman

^^^^^^ What he said.

Buy what you want and shoot what you want and if anyone takes offense to YOUR choice, well, too bad.

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 25, 2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

Been many years ago now, but a bunch of friends & I all had the Ruger semi autos, & I built a dualing tree... one weekend I had the buddys over & I shot 3 bricks ( 1500 rounds ) of 22 ammo, just battling it out on the dualing tree with friends...

I could still see myself doing that, & it is fun, & much easier than having to reload those 1500 rounds, but it doesn't mean I'd rather be shooting something else... so I could have added to my post ( kinda did with the Appleseed comment ), that it does have a purpose... I'd just rather shoot something different...

a couple buddys have been talking about doing another Appleseed, & if I attend, I may take my 30 carbine ???
Old February 25, 2013, 11:52 AM   #6
arch308

I must admit I don't care for target practicing with a 22LR. I get bored rather quickly. I do keep a 22 rifle in my deer stand while deer hunting. Any varmit that comes in range makes a good target and the report of the 22 doesn't affect game. It's plenty of gun for bobcats, coyotes, etc.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:05 PM   #7
huntinaz

I agree with you man, I get far more enjoyment out of centerfire cartridges than 22. I use 22lr when appropriate (like small game hunting) but when I'm out shooting for fun, a 22lr rarely makes the trip with me. And I sometimes feel ashamed of this, though I don't know why.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8
bossman

Yeah, I feel your pain. I have more 22's that I care to admit but rarely find myself shooting them. Just much more a 38 spl or 45 plinker myself. I every now and then force myself to take out the 22's, after a hour or so I'm thinking what am I doing, should have taken some of my centerfire along.

Not saying anything bad about someone shooting the 22 all day long but just not for me.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Dr Big Bird PhD

Regardless of not enjoying to plink with them, a .22lr is an important firearm to any collection.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 25, 2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH.74
Suddenly it was as if a light had gone off and I thought "Where have you been all my life?"
<snip>
I think it's great to work with on the fundamentals, and deserves as much respect as any other round. If you just like louder bangs and more recoil there's nothing wrong with that- but IMO you're depriving yourself of something very good. If only I could re-stock my ammo stash...
This.

.22s are FUN, especially good, really accurate ones.

The Savages, MKII or MKIII, are great value for the money, and if you haven't shot one of the CZ rimfires (mine's a 452, but I've heard good things about the -3 and -5 as well), you don't know what you're missing. They're real, grown-up rifles, and for my money, if you're not practicing regularly with a .22, you may not be as good a shooter as you could be.

But the point is to enjoy the sport, so if .22s don't do it for you... no big thing.
Old February 25, 2013, 01:11 PM   #11
larryf1952

I'm glad that someone finally had the nerve to post on this topic. I almost felt ashamed and never really mentioned to anyone that I just didn't get into shooting my .22's very much.

Of course, a .22 was my very first...and second...handgun. The first was a piece of junk Iver Johnson revolver that I had for about 10 days. The 2nd was a Ruger Standard Model...predecessor to the "Mark" series...that I bought in 1973. I still have it, but I rarely shoot it. The only other .22 handgun that I have is, since we're being brutally honest here...a Jennings J-22! I have 3 .22 rifles...a 10/22 "deluxe sporter" that I also bought in '73, and a Marlin 39A and Winchester 61 pump, chambered in .22 short. Those last 2 guns were owned by my father and grandfather. But, I never shoot any of those any longer.

When I first bought that Ruger Standard Model, I enjoyed shooting it a lot. I've put thousands of rounds through it. But, when I finally got a 9mm as my first centerfire handgun, I was hooked and just sort of let the .22 fall by the wayside as my collection and interests grew. I'll never be without one, but I see the .22 as more a part of my shooting history than shooting regimen.
Old February 25, 2013, 01:18 PM   #12
OEF-Vet

While I'll agree shooting the old 22s is not the most exciting for experienced shooters, they are great for introducing a new shooter to the sport and can be a lot of fun with all the reactive targets and shooting games out there. I enjoy plinking with my 22s especially when I have a new shooter with me and their joy becomes mine in knowing we now have another shooter in the fold.
I do agree with you that the big guns (kinda funny because my biggest is a 30-06) are a whole different experience and a class of fun all their own.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr
Old February 25, 2013, 01:25 PM   #13
Sarge

I was a .22 guy up until the late 80's... had a mile of river bulff that made for great handgun & rifle squirrel hunting. But I was having more fun killing them with light loads in centerfire handguns, and it stuck.

I keep a couple of 22 handguns around for CCW students. Occasionally I consider swapping them in on a Peacemaker 22 or HD Military both of which are near-perfect according to my tastes.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:15 PM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

BTW... VANYA... FIL was a Czech gun collector... I have an older BRNO target 22 with some fancy name scope, even has engraved rings... accurate... yup... you becha... fun... hmmm ok I guess... as fun as my remmy 700 bull barrel 17 Fireball... nope

BTW #2... I do keep several 22's around for newer or younger shooters ( currently have 2 single shot rifles... one a Canadian Winchester cooey ( spelling ) or some such, the other an Ithica lever single with an apiture sight...
Old February 25, 2013, 02:18 PM   #15
22-rimfire

I think shooting preferences change over time. It's okay. Most people change and change again. But I found that you should keep those 22's even if you aren't shooting them now, because the wind may blow from a different direction and it may be hard to re-buy what you have unless it is just a 10/22 or so.

My shooting is driven by my perception of cost, value, and purpose. Of course I get more of a thrill out of shooting a 357 mag over a 22 handgun. But the costs add up rapidly with centerfire ammuniton.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:19 PM   #16
mdd

Well, nice to know who is not responsible for the shortage of 22 lr. I personally love shooting my Ruger 77/22. There are times I feel a little out of sync on my rifles so I'll grab that bolt action 22 and a few hundred rounds of ammo. Take a few hours and just focus on technique till it feels right again.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:43 PM   #17
OEF-Vet

22-rimfire
Your screen name kinda says where you stand
I was wondering if you would chime in on this one.
I must admit my 22s get more use than any of my other guns because a little dirt pile is a good backstop and my neighbors aren't bothered by the report of a 22LR. This means I don't have to go to a crowded range or drive a hour up to camp to shoot so I shoot more often especially when I have a free couple of hours but not time to make a day of it. When I do have the time I can shoot all day for a few bucks and crack away with one of the 22s while the barrel cools on my rifle and or pistol of the day. The best way to stay sharp is to shoot a lot and a 22 sure beats a bb gun. I have a decent .177 springer air rifle but the hold technique is totally different and they are of little value in keeping on your game.

Old February 25, 2013, 02:52 PM   #18
22-rimfire

I actually get a lot of enjoyment out of punching paper with a 22 rifle. I get less enjoyment out of shooting 22 handguns at paper. But I enjoy plinking with handguns more.

About 5 years ago, I started to shoot 22 rifles at targets more. I can shoot for hours and maybe shoot up a few hundred rounds. I seldom shoot an entire brick in one sitting. But it happens plinking.

Changing ammunition and seeing the effect and making judgments on what is "good eough". I have come to the conclusion that bulk 22 ammo is good enough for just about everything short of competition unless it is a friendly competition. So I shoot what I consider the more costly ammunition (Wolf MT& ME on up) from time to time, but the promotional ammo gets shot the most. I find unless you are keeping score, it really doesn't matter much as long as you're having fun.
Old February 25, 2013, 03:21 PM   #19
OEF-Vet

Plastic Army men

These things are a hoot to sniper off at 25 to 50 yards with a 22 rifle. I set them up in various locations and ranges and pick them off one by one. I've been doing it since I was a kid (if you ask my wife I still am one) and it really is good practice for target acquisition and shot adjustment. Just wish I could find them in Taliban garb

Old February 25, 2013, 03:27 PM   #20
22-rimfire

I can blow your head "clean off".... works with plastic army soldiers or the old cowboys & indians and a 22.

I may just have buy a couple packs of those to have them available. I like NECCO wafers a lot as I don't have to clean them up afterwards.
Old February 25, 2013, 03:34 PM   #21
Magnum Wheel Man

Long as we are playing...

Mr. Bill say's "hey guys... this looks like a great place to camp for the night... nice white flat surface"

( the top of the tannerite bottle )...

look... Mr. Sluggo has a .223...

"Oh No... Mr. Bill !!!!!

seriously though... you guys are going to make me have to go out & buy some army men... for the grand kids...
Old February 25, 2013, 03:50 PM   #22
loganchieftain

Different strokes for different folks as we used to say. Yeah, I'm old. Having gotten away from shooting for a while I remembered all the fun I had with a 10-22 when I was younger. I ordered a Kidd supergrade and am hoping to recapture my youth, at least the fun part of shooting. Time will go slow while I wait the 3 months it takes to get it which isn't a bad thing cause my time on this earth seems to go faster as my time here gets shorter!
Old February 25, 2013, 03:53 PM   #23
Magnum Wheel Man

I used to squirrel hunt when I was a kid... back then I used a .410, because that's all my dad would buy me, but I was really influenced by a couple of my dad's buddys that used to come over with scoped centerfire rifles, & head shoot them... hoping I can duplicate that as I get older
Old February 25, 2013, 03:55 PM   #24
OEF-Vet

Ah, back when SNL was worth watching. Mr. Bill has his own website now. I never thought of play-dough or clay. That i wouldn't have spend the time looking for and cleaning up afterwords. Now I'm excited to bust out the trusty old "lowly 22 LR" and shoot some stuff.

Old February 25, 2013, 04:23 PM   #25
TailGator

I am kind of amused to see it hinted that .22LRs are for kids and newbies. I am 56 years old and have been shooting since I was 7. I still shoot .22 (when I can get it) and have a lot of fun. Maybe being a kid doesn't have much to do with the calendar; from some of the posts about little plastic army men I would say I might not be the only gray-haired kid on this forum.