The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2011, 04:11 PM   #1
TenRing

Question for ammo experts - Golden Saber vs. HD

What is the difference, if any, between Remington Golden Saber and Remington's newer HD ammo? In .45 ACP, I see that the GS is 185 grain while the HD is 230 grain. Aside from bullet weight, what else is different? I can't tell from the published literature. Thanks.

Last edited by TenRing; January 3, 2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Clarified title
Old January 3, 2011, 04:19 PM   #2
thesheepdog

Golden Sabers are definitely +P and waterproof. Not sure about the HD ammo.
Old January 3, 2011, 04:58 PM   #3
TenRing

If Golden Sabers are +P, why doesn't Remington mark them as such?
Old January 3, 2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Rampant_Colt

Nonsense. Not every Golden Saber is +P.
Only the ones marked as such. 124gr 9mm, and 185gr .45 ACP are available in +P configuration

I'm still trying to figure out the difference between R-P HD and Golden Sabre ammo. Looks like a marketing gimmick.
Old January 3, 2011, 09:10 PM   #5
TenRing

I also thought that this was a marketing gimmick since the rounds look identical. However, the HD ammo sells for about 20% less in some places. Remington must have found a way to take cost out of the manufacturing process or they are using lower cost materials in the HD ammo. Both types sell in boxes of 25 rounds and both are nickel plated.

As thesheepdog mentioned, the Golden Sabers feature waterproofing seal. However, I wouldn't expect that to account for much cost difference.

From the Remington web site:

Golden Saber
Key Features:
High-performance jacket (HPJ) handgun ammunition built around revolutionary hollow-point bullet design
Jacket made entirely of cartridge brass, which releases energy over longer distance while mushrooming
Spiral nose-cut feature permits mushrooming at lower velocity without sacrificing penetration or terminal performance
Primer and mouth waterproofing standard
Cases nickel-plated for reliable feed, function and extraction

Home Defense
Overview:
Loaded with our high-performance Brass Jacket Hollow Point (BJHP), these new rounds deliver massive expansion and deep penetration for ultimate stopping power. Premium nickel-plated cases resist corrosion and cycle dependably through extended storage. Available in the most popular pistol and revolver calibers.
Old January 4, 2011, 12:08 PM   #6
AlaskaMike

Not all Golden Saber in .45 ACP are 185 grains. My carry ammo is 230 grain Golden Saber.