The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 21, 2008, 05:57 PM   #101
U.S.SFC_RET

Just to let you know from the inside of the military. I retired from the Army in 2005 and that is not too long ago. Its easy to identify your so called gang bangers. The military put a big halt to allowing them in and stopped them from coming in anyway they knew how. Tattoos is one such way. Thos tats are examined closely.
By the way the mentality of most so called "gang bangers never amount to much in the Army. If in the Army they hardly never go into combat arms and if so it is Artilliary. Most go into combat service support. Yes you can get mout training but the training is not as intensive as it would be for infantry as an example. Those guys live and breathe all sorts of training.
The rebellious lot is the ones I would finger in the military. Hardly any use if any use at all and pretty much good for nothing.
The pieces don't fit the puzzle for me. Discipline over time = gangbanger nope I just can't see it.
I have seen alot of people get kicked out for not adjusting. Lack of discipline and so forth.
4. Know the target and what's beyond it.
Old October 21, 2008, 08:54 PM   #102
mpage

I understand about gangbangers and other ghetto types not being very stable, however the US Army needs people so badly that they're taking anyone. IIRC they've been offering to remove tattoos as an incentive. There's also gang graffiti that's been seen in Iraq.

Sorry to get so off topic.
Old October 21, 2008, 09:35 PM   #103
kpbeckel

Back to the original topic...I'd say the one place "gangbangers" practice with there guns are one rival gang members. Being born and raised in Chicago, I am all too familiar with gunshots at random times of the day and night going off just to find out on the 9 o'clock news that some one was killed in "gang related shootings". It seemed like in Chicago, the only people who could get their hands on a handgun where gang members or "street thugs".....I mean, God forbid a law abiding citizen can buy something like that.......glad things have changed since I left that gutter city.
Old October 22, 2008, 03:14 AM   #104
mpage

I doubt that the average thug will ever practice with failure-to-feed drills, shooting drills, tap/rack, etc. Even going to the range may be of marginal benefit if they're not aware of what to concentrate upon.

The only thing going in their favor is the fact that the element of surprise will likely be on their side if they try to victimize you.
Old October 22, 2008, 05:57 AM   #105
alloy

my distinction:
gangbanger doesnt practice
gangster does

the north hollywood thing might be an example. but the typical 17 year old with a gun and pants around his knees....maybe not so much. like military, or police...takes all kinds. but some folks in those groups are trained/do train. they arent gangbangers, they are serious people, and it would be a mistake to confuse the two types.

of course that is all based on TV.