The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 18, 2010, 02:25 PM   #26
Rattlehead

my favorite are the Mossy Oak underarmor...
Old May 18, 2010, 06:51 PM   #27
Double Naught Spy

I still can't figure out why so many of the guys in the videos of hunting down hogs from helicopters are wearing camo. I am fairly certain the camo does not blend with the helicopter and I am fairly certain they aren't wearing the camo clothing because it is so quiet given that the helicopter likely makes enough noise to mask the rustling of fabric, yet they wear camo!
Old May 18, 2010, 09:04 PM   #28
sc928porsche

In cold weather, I am fond of my bright yellow with black trim Ski jacket with orange vest to cover. Boots are old brogans. Pants are old fatigues. The hat is one of those orange baseball things. I figure the color pattern gets their curiosity up just long enough to get a shot off.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:15 PM   #29
publius

I hunt in MS and TX only on private land. I never used to wear camo and don't often now thinking it doesn't make a difference. My standard outfit gun hunting is brown carhartt overalls and a red &black filson coat with an orange vest on top. Most of my stands in MS are box stands so it's a non issue. In TX I use ladder stands and have deer come real close often. I ahve noticed that they rarely sense anything out of place when I'm wearing total camo as opposed to my carhartts and filson (don't use orange at all in TX). I routinely have deer walk right under my stand and they never spook when I have on camo but do sometimes without it. Side note- never, ever make eye contact with a deer at close range, it will scare them. Yes, orange is silly over camo but total camo is good if legal.
Old May 22, 2010, 02:23 AM   #30
bamaranger

required

Many states, mine included, REQUIRE x number of inches of flo orange when rifle hunting big game. I hate it. One of the reasons I do much of my deer hunting in bow only areas that do not require orange.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:34 PM   #31
treg

Camoflaging for deer and most other mammals is a skill, not a dress code.

Gotta hand it to those guys, like Wild Bill Bucks, that have it figured out.

Funny story:
I was squirrel hunting in a freinds woods: blue jeans, plain jacket, small game vest with orange on it and an orange camo hat. While I sat at the base of a tree a deer (smallish 6 point) came through browsing, same time as Mr. squirrel made himself available. Shot the squirrel with my 10/22 rifle, one shot, and Mr. deer kept about his business as I stayed still. Minutes later the deer got nervous and alert then left the area. A bowhunter in head to toe camo, who was tresspassing in a tree stand about 150 yards away, was coming over to chew me out for disturbing the woods, and ruining his hunting! I still grin about the whole thing 15 or so years later.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:43 PM   #32
FrankenMauser

The only camo I own was U.S. Government Issue.

Some good cargo pants, T-shirt, and appropriate hat are about all I need for Antelope. (Sometimes I throw a vest on; sometimes I just use a hat. Wyoming only requires one article of orange clothing.)

For Deer and Elk - it all depends on the weather. I prefer to hunt in a T-shirt and comfortable pants, with an orange vest and cap. But if it's raining, you'll see me sporting a full set of GI Gortex under the orange. I don't wear it for the camo, but the facts that it is available, breaks the wind well, and keeps me dry.

The whole point of hunting is to remain unseen by your quarry until it's time to take the shot. Some people think camo is the answer. I think staying out of sight is the answer... I've gotten closer to more animals while wearing a T-shirt and jeans (and sometimes orange), than anything else.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:50 AM   #33
TX Hunter

When Deer Hunting, I am also Guilty of wearing Camo and Orange.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:05 PM   #34
JagFarlane

Quote:
Actually, what I really want is a set of those camo sheets.
Actually have a set of those, flannel ones from Bass Pro. They were actually the cheapest flannel sheets I could find, that and the gf wanted camo sheets for some reason. Can attest that they were comfy and warm all winter
Old May 24, 2010, 12:31 PM   #35
Deerhunter

My buddy and I hunt in PA. The deer in the one spot we hunt don't like camo. Funny and we can't figure it out though. If I walk down the driveway in jeans and a t-shirt the deer will stand and look at me, maybe move a little further into the field. If we drive down in the truck we can even stop and look at them from 15-20 yards away. Now you throw on your camo pants, longsleeve shirt, hat and rubber boots and they take off for the woods. Several times we have walked into the woods to feed the deer in jeans. They jump up and run about 30 yards then turn around and wait for us to dump the corn and then come back. Walk into the woods in camo and they are gone. Still trying to figure it out.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:49 AM   #36
natman

Quote:
Camo does a great job breaking up your outline, but, despite what the camo makers tell you, being still is the biggest key to filling your tags.
Please provide quote where a camo maker says you don't have to stay still.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:54 AM   #37
natman

Quote:
i realize it is a law in some states but wouldn't you at least use a camo blaze orange vest to at least continue with the camo theme of breaking your outline?
Most states require X number of square inches of SOLID orange.

http://www.ihea.com/hunter-education...quirements.php

Last edited by natman; May 25, 2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:57 AM   #38
natman

Quote:
Yeah Butt.........you need camo for turkey hunting, proof is in the picture.

You probably don't need camo too badly when hunting turkeys with a scoped bolt action rifle.
Old May 25, 2010, 09:10 AM   #39
CajunBass

There are all kinds of hunting. Some reguire blaze orange. Some don't. It's a lot easier to buy camo clothes for the type that don't, and then put on a blaze orange vest, than it is to buy a blaze orange suit and put on a cammo cover.

A lot cheaper than buying two sets of "hunting clothes" too.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 25, 2010, 09:49 AM   #40
crghss

+1

All my hunting cloths are camo. So when flo oranges is required I put on a vest & hat. During Spring turkey in PA you need to wear orange while moving. I wear a vest then when I stop/sit I hang it in a tree near me. Deer, small game orange is required so I put on vest over camo. Unless it gets to hot outside. Then I wear street cloths, jeans and long sleeve shirt.

I don't want to purchase second set of hunting cloths in orange. Why?

I sometimes wear camo jacket or shirt around town, in public. I'd never wear a orange anything anywhere except in the field.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:48 PM   #41
natman

Camo is not required, at least not in the sense that you can't kill a deer without it, because you certainly can. It does help though. Hunting conditions vary; what may be a big help when hunting in the woods may not be as important if you’re hunting by shooting 300 yards across a beanfield.

The order of perception in deer is: Scent, movement, vision. Camo doesn't deal with scent and while it helps make movement harder to detect, if you move a deer will still probably see it.

It may seem silly to wear camo and an orange vest and it would be silly if a deer's vision worked like a human's.

But deer do not see the world the way humans do. Their eyesight is not a sharp as a humans and they perceive color differently. They do not differentiate between red, orange and green like we do. They see leaves as yellow brown. They see a blaze vest as a yellow blob.

This has been very well established:

http://www.northcountrywhitetails.co...tdodeersee.htm

http://www.wildlifetimes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93

http://www.shamancamo.com/research.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNe2PB3CSnA

So if you wear a blaze vest over camo, you will be visible to humans (good) but hard to see to deer (also good). If you hunt in areas where there are lots of hunters you might want to consider wearing a solid blaze vest to satisfy the law over blaze camo clothing for concealment from the deer.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:04 PM   #42
Osageshooter

Has anyone heard of bowhunting? I do it without the orange. I do turkey hunting without the orange. Rifle season, I put on the orange but find it makes sense to wear the same hunting clothes. As others have said, try to find quality hunting clothes not in camo.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:29 PM   #43
reloader28

I just cant understand why people complain about wearing orange. Tis a guarantee that the game wont see you, so why not? Myself, I wear a vest and a hat even tho only a hat is required here. I kinda like being visible for a mile when so many others are hunting. At least with the orange with black splotches it breaks up you outline.
Old May 26, 2010, 04:48 PM   #44
markj

Quote:
i camo my self in old jeans and faded flannel jacket. They think I am a farmer lookin' for my tractor... they just stand there or walk up offering to show me where it is parked... Than BOOM.... freezer is filled again...
Works like a charm, but then I am looking for my tractor or shooting from it durn corn eating field runners. Least if we hit one in the car or truck it dont cost 250.00 deductable...... Daughters car is in the shop again, deer hit, twice now in 8 months..... tyurkeys just kinda explode on impact and do little damage compared to a deer.