The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 27, 2010, 03:15 PM   #26
riggins_83

I always carry with 1 in the chamber just for this reason. Having one hand free can be so critical in a self defense situation be it 2 leg or 4 leg.

Glad things turned out ok.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:32 PM   #27
Chaz88

Quote:
I've seen first hand what a chiwawa (class pet) can do to a 5 yr old little girl (57 stiches in her face and nerve damage for life).
I was one working in a house that had an intimidating looking Great Dane. It was at the big end of the breed. They also had a Chiwawa. The Dane was a big baby the ankle biter had to be locked up to keep it from biting me.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:53 PM   #28
Balog

HighStrung: I just meant in a tactical sense, not so much a target ID sense. I think aggression is pretty obvious if you know anything about dogs, and if one was attacking me I'd try to neutralize it before it started chewing on me.

That being said, I used to own a very large pit bull so I appreciate the "idiots judging your dog based on their misinformation about the breed" issue.
Old January 27, 2010, 04:13 PM   #29
grubbylabs

pacerdude you are right people are people and dogs are dogs. In my state they still know that.

My dogs are my property and I have a right to protect them. Not to mention my dogs are expensive and a source of income. I will protect them. If you don't want your dog shot keep it under control. If my dog is in the wrong and you deal with it as you see fit before I can, then that's my loss I should have been more vigilant about protecting my dog. My dog is my responsibility.

HighStrung, if you want to make sure your dog is a good dog you should look into training with an electric collar. Don't just go out and buy one but find someone who knows what they are doing and how to train the dog with one. I don't care what is going on when I give my dogs a command they follow, they don't stop to sniff the cats butt or check out the other dog they do what I said as soon as I say it. Not even a T-bone would distract either one of them.

Oh I forgot no need in carrying an empty gun. I wish we had some hand gun training classes around here I would take one, but I have yet to hear about one.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:02 PM   #30
HighStrung

Grubbylabs-I totally understand what you mean here. The two examples I gave were early on in her training (which is why she was pulling at the leash anyway). We're at the point now, where she walks loose leash (we could take her off and she'd stay beside me the entire way but it's against our community covenent). If I took her out today, there is no pulling, not for another dog, cat, bicycle, or as you mentioned T-bone. I respect where you were coming from as it sounded like our dog wasn't fully trained by the fact that she even attempted to slip her collar. As for the electric collars, though may have used them successfully, I don't agree with shocking a dog, I feel that there are other ways to train. Great post though, thanks for the input.
“The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second does not become the legalized version of the first.” Thomas Jefferson
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson
Old January 27, 2010, 07:47 PM   #31
cz223

We had a similar situation here in Maine

just recently. A woman was walking her dog on a leash when an unleashed pitbull came charging around a corner and attacked the leashed dog. Fortunately for the woman and her dog ,a neighbor reacted quickly, grabbed a rifle and shot the pitbull. The owner of the pitbull was interviewed on TV. Of course, according to her, it was not her or her dogs fault and the man overreacted. The owner of the dog that was attacked saw it differently. Both dogs lived. No charges were brought against the man who shot the dog. The owner of the pitbull was probably going to be charged.