The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2009, 11:01 AM   #1
wwmkwood

Midway prices?

I've had a bolt carrier on order since October, backordered. They now have it on sale for $5 more then what I ordered it for. Why they put stuff on sale that has a "out of stock, no backorders" is beyond my simple thoughts, let alone at prices higher then what their current backorders were committed for. (makes me wonder what they will be charging me if they ever do ship it)
Old January 3, 2009, 11:36 AM   #2
bigalshootmupper

I've had a DPMS 308 magazine on back order since early Nov 4rth. I don't blame Midway for that as these mags are going for 2-3X the price on gunbroker. But what I don't understand is the recently reduced the price by putting it on sale. It has been on back order for months and is supposed to be in stock Jan 31st (highly unlikely) and they are not accepting orders. But it is on sale? Plus, my back order price is the higher price?
Old January 3, 2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Alleykat

It's called deceptive advertising, and Midway is great at it. They'll also screw you on shipping charges.
Old January 3, 2009, 11:52 AM   #4
wwmkwood

kind of frustrating watching those projected dates.
Old January 3, 2009, 12:41 PM   #5
DaveInPA

Quote:
It's called deceptive advertising, and Midway is great at it. They'll also screw you on shipping charges.
I've bought a ton of stuff from Midway and I've never had any complaints about their shipping.
Old January 3, 2009, 01:19 PM   #6
JAYBIRD78

I have ordered from Midway in the past and will continue in the future.

I have had some issues with them like all "stores".....no one is perfect.

When I said no one is perfect, that did not pertain to myself.
Old January 6, 2009, 04:44 PM   #7
ForneyRider

I've tapered off my orders from them. I am finding much better prices and availability elsewhere. I really like MidwayUSA, but their prices are not competitive enough for me.
Old January 6, 2009, 04:52 PM   #8
B. Lahey

They don't always have the best prices, but they do have a gargantuan selection of oddball stuff nobody else has.

Because of that, I will keep ordering my fancy rimfire ammo from Finland and metric-gauge hexigonal flugelstuffers from Midway.
Old January 6, 2009, 05:11 PM   #9
schmeky

I wish Brownell's had their variety. I have only recently started using Midway and I have found other suppliers that are as competitive and ship quicker.

I tried to order a new set of hearing protectors from Midway yesterday and the automated ordering site said I didn't meet the minimum order of $20.00. So you either get charged $3.00 for nothing, or you add something.

I ordered elsewhere.
Old January 6, 2009, 06:10 PM   #10
shepherddogs

I like Midway and buy a lot of stuff from them. Here lately though their prices have gotten crazy. I was looking at a heater for a bullet sizer one night. I thought about it and the next am I went to order it and it had gone up about 10 dollars. About a 35 percent increase. Lee Classic Turret presses went up a nice bit too in the last couple days. And they don't even have any. Maybe their costs have gone up. I don't know. Just noticed their Hornaday LNL APs went up 50 bucks this week.

Last edited by shepherddogs; January 7, 2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old January 6, 2009, 07:05 PM   #11
cchardwick

I recently found out that you can go into your account/order history and delete your back ordered items with Midway USA. I had a bunch of stuff on backorder and wanted to add something to it, but they wouldn't do it. So I canceled all my back ordered stuff and made a new order, did it all online. And it shipped the next day.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:08 PM   #12
longranger

Why don't you just go to RRA,DPMS or Bushmasters web site and order from them.You will most likely get it faster and cheaper.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:31 PM   #13
Alleykat

I'll continue to do a little business with Midway, myself, but only if I can't get a better deal, including shipping, elsewhere.
Old January 7, 2009, 05:32 PM   #14
jjohnson

AAAAuuuuggghhhh!

Oh, man..
Quote:
They'll also screw you on shipping charges.
No kidding!

I used to buy a lot (and I mean a LOT) from Midway, back when discounts were more than two cents and before they decided to cave in to the DARK SIDE of THE FORCE on shipping. That was some years ago, when the most annoying thing with them was their website being very slooooooowwww.:barf: But that hasn't changed. It was at that point that I started looking around, discovered the fine folks at Grafs, Wideners, PowderValley, and a boatload of other very good marketers who sell at better prices. Their websites are not as good as Midways, so I do my pre-shopping research at Midway's website... and then I
GO ORDER IT ELSEWHERE.
Old January 7, 2009, 06:32 PM   #15
DaveInPA

Graf's, Widener's, etc are all running at backlog times that I find to be excessive. 2-3 week wait just to SHIP my order? No thanks. If you're that busy, hire more people.
Old January 7, 2009, 08:16 PM   #16
Atticus Thraxx

Prices are ok my problem is they never seem to have what I'm looking for. Out of Stock for stuff all the time. Know it's tough but my last three online purchases went somewhere else. Not waiting for backorder if I can get it somewhere else. Their shipping is a little pricey but ....what are ya gonna do. Everyone gets ya on shipping seems like. You want predatory shipping check out Cabela's. They took it to me last year. But they also seem to keep better stock then Midway.

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old January 7, 2009, 08:49 PM   #17
devilfrog

I use Midway all the time, with the C&R license you get dealer price which beats alot of other sites. But I still check at least 3 other sites and compare prices and who's got what I want in stock. That's one of the advantages of shopping online, sure beats calling or driving around all day!
Old January 9, 2009, 11:53 PM   #18
JWT

Ordered some cleaning supplies from Midway about 4:00 this afternoon and had notice of shipment before 9:00 this evening. Darned fast service for completing and shipping an order in my mind.
Old January 11, 2009, 09:40 PM   #19
pmeisel

I didn't do much shooting the last 8 or 10 years and just started again. Midway was my go to online place. Coming back now, I will still shop with them, but I check Mid-South and a couple others as well, and sometimes directly with the manufacturer too.

Pricing policies and situations come and go. Most smart retailers have their ways of knowing whether they are competitive or not, but sometimes they get out of sync. It will either get fixed, or the customers will fix the situation.

I do like Midway's selection, that by itself will keep traffic up for quite awhile.
Old January 12, 2009, 01:05 AM   #20
Hook686

DaveInPA you a one lucky mo I'm thinking. I've ordered from midway a couple of times where one item was out of stock and wound up with two shipments, with two shipping prices plus the special handling charge with each.

The shipping cost comes out outrageous in my view. Consequently there are 2, or 3 other vendors I go to before midway.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:05 PM   #21
ForneyRider

I split an order, one with MidSouth, and the other with Midway.

I peruse Midsouth, Grafs, Widener's, Midway and a few others before I buy. If Midway is competitive or close, I go with them. Their site is easier to navigate.

There are a few local places for primers, powder and bullets. Just say no to "Haz Mat".